Thread: sweboz: germanic cuneus?

Default sweboz: germanic cuneus?

hi all.
    as we all know, stated by tacitus, :
    the germanic tirbes used as shock troops, the best hundred warriors of their district, surrounding the leader (the s.c. herzog), and attacked in a triangle formation, called 'cuneus'.

but, as far as i am facing sweboz, haven't seen any cuneus used by them, (should be the bodiguards to use it).

is because they are infantry units? is not possible to give them the cuneus as formation with the RTW engine?

thanks all.
    Nec sine Marsis nec contra Marsos triumphari posse
    (Appiano)

Default Re: sweboz: germanic cuneus?

So are you suggesting that the Sweboz FM bodyguard get the "wedge formation" special ability ???
    Ongoing Campaigns: Baktria, Casse, Koinon Hellenon, Pahlava.

Abandoned/Failed Campaigns: Aedui-Epeiros-Pontos-Saba-Saka Rauka-Sauromatae. (I'll be back though!)

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHIPPOS View Post
    So are you suggesting that the Sweboz FM bodyguard get the "wedge formation" special ability ???
    well... yes. it might be historically more accurate.
    i don't know if it is possible to give this ability to an infantry unit.
    then, this would be the preferred formation form AI when this kind of unit is attacking.
    Nec sine Marsis nec contra Marsos triumphari posse
    (Appiano)

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Interesting, I believe the vikings used a similar formation called "Svinfylking" (in swedish) "Swine formation"
    Not sure if this is possible to represent ingame though due to hardcode stuff.
    Last edited by Arthur, king of the Britons; 03-07-2010 at 22:21.

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Well I will look up for my sources but I also read the theory that the Eberschnauze could have been more the result of how masses of human in movement behave rather than a wedge formed on purpose.
    In that case it would have been more a arc or crescent shape. This sounds quite compelling to me since I don't see any point in having one single guy in the front. Wedges work for dense materials but in a crowd the first guys would be very easy to slaughter... imho

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    Well I will look up for my sources but I also read the theory that the Eberschnauze could have been more the result of how masses of human in movement behave rather than a wedge formed on purpose.
    In that case it would have been more a arc or crescent shape. This sounds quite compelling to me since I don't see any point in having one single guy in the front. Wedges work for dense materials but in a crowd the first guys would be very easy to slaughter... imho
    Here's substantial historical proof yo !!!

Also check this (2:16)
    Ongoing Campaigns: Baktria, Casse, Koinon Hellenon, Pahlava.

Abandoned/Failed Campaigns: Aedui-Epeiros-Pontos-Saba-Saka Rauka-Sauromatae. (I'll be back though!)

Svinefylkning can be very effective in the right circumstances. I am knackered and busy right now, so can say no more, but take my word; they can work.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

I believe the Romans used wedges as well against Boudica.

And the Swine head formation or wedge formation was used by Germanics. I believe the Suebi formed multiple wedges against Ceasar?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    I believe the Romans used wedges as well against Boudica.
    At the battle of Watling street. However, we don't know exactly how big these wedges were: whether it involved a few men or entire cohorts.

AFAIK the wedge formation is hardcoded to be for cavalry only. It's possible to designate the Germanic BG as cavalry, but that opens up another can of worms. Never mind that the interface allows for only one "special function" button on the interface (and generals get the rally special function automatically) and that the in-game effect of the wedge is questionable. So I am afraid I don't see how this would work.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!