Thread: Egyptian Campaign Fun

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Egyptian Campaign Fun

So in the Egyptian campaign. There are these Bedouins who constantly harass your cities with camels only but they never bring infantry so it is a bit of a joke since the AI usually assaults on hte second turn of a siege. All you do is hide in the houses or assault and bait them to attack your houses in the houses and despite being outnumbered 20ish units to 3, you can almost always win.

And just out of curiosity, has anyone actually managed to capture Cyprus from the British? You glorious navy is so bad. The only idea I had was to port hop to Lebenon and then make a quick dash over.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 03-08-2010 at 14:41.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: Egyptian Campaign Fun

Our glorious navies and armies are currently working on a solution to this problem. Stay tuned while I go beat up on some redcoats.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Yeah the Bedouin camel armies are a pain, but it did prove a glorious tactical win as I spaced 6 regiments in square formation all just under musket range apart. It reminded me of Waterloo when the French Cavalry charged the redcoat squares and died in their droves. it was the first time I really experienced solid tactics working in CA games.

I gave up trying to take Cyprus after about turn 6. Once the British landed their army on the coast and I realised they had about five 3rd rate 74 gun ships of the line, it was over before it started. The best I could build was a 24 gun corvette. On hard battle difficulty that's suicide for me. ;-)
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 03-08-2010 at 20:25.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Welcome to the .Org Marshalle Ney

I am eager to here how your armies faired.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Yes I took Cyprus as soon as I had a 20 unit army including Napoleon within a few turns. I sail up the left side with two ships one as a decoy on the right just in case. I took Cyprus, left some crappy units and sail back. The Egyptian Campaign is a tough one. I won it but could not take the town far to the North of Cairo, just wasn't enough money,men or time.

I have been experimenting on this Campaign, thougths thus far -

+ You need 3 armies - 1 Army to take Cyprus, 1 To take Cario and another to take the major city Shaz??? with a industrial town in its province?

Your army for Cyprus can be built over 8-10 turns. Armee Grp Cario is able to take it within 5 turns, and your other army should take the other major city within 10-15 turns. Now saying that between Cario and City X? they are the 2 major troop building provinces, by taking them the Mamulekes armies start to consist of milta units, but usually large stacks.

I have been playing on V/H

So far I have taken Jaffa and the majority of Mamuleke territory, but havnt been able to take Cyprus.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    So in the Egyptian campaign. There are these Bedouins who constantly harass your cities with camels only but they never bring infantry so it is a bit of a joke since the AI usually assaults on hte second turn of a siege. All you do is hide in the houses or assault and bait them to attack your houses in the houses and despite being outnumbered 20ish units to 3, you can almost always win.

And just out of curiosity, has anyone actually managed to capture Cyprus from the British? You glorious navy is so bad. The only idea I had was to port hop to Lebenon and then make a quick dash over.
    that is true.. you hide in the houses or adopt square formation. and u always win. to capture cyprus is actually pretty easy... mind though i played the campain on moderate. i created one ship and sailed an army to cyprus. attacked the city straight before reinforcements could arise. lucky remaining force disband after the nation is destroyed instead of turning into rebels, which would really be annoying and threathening.

same will work on hard or very hard if u use decoy ship.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 03-11-2010 at 13:54.

We do not sow.

I used this tactic and thought I was very clever until ! Oh no I ran out of amo...too bad now I have to wait until the time limit runs out... But it works..

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I used this tactic and thought I was very clever until ! Oh no I ran out of amo...too bad now I have to wait until the time limit runs out... But it works..
    That's why the squares are good. The lads kill a lot of camels in the melee so ammo is not a problem. :)

squares are kinda overrated though... or atleast, what i fail to understand is why a square in a narrow street can hold back 15 mameluke units and a line of the same infantry unit cannot hold back those 15 mameluke units. because the line of the infantry unit is thicker and because it cannot be outflanked they should be equally or even more effective...

We do not sow.

But the first rank isn't kneeling obviously.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

thats true, but does that really have such a great impact? i mean obviously yes when they charge in, but not when the fight is draggin on.

We do not sow.

Probably not, the square really just protects against flanking IRL... In the game you get over 9000 bonus to defense.