Thread: city battle...

Default city battle...

Not something new, but I experience a lot of problems when attacking/defending cities : I'm giving a try to Alex.exe for EB, could it be the reason?

First, when I charge through the gates with cavalry, the units go back and back, each time more far from the gate for each single man, before heading through the gates. So what was supposed to be a frontal charge (limited by the gates, I know) turns to be a one by one attack, failing miserably.
    As for infantry, they seem to want try to hit the ennemy with their spear/sword through the wooden wall and not wanting to enter. Again, the result is often a big failure, even if the unit should have the advantage.

Second, the infantry is dancing in cercle instead of holding the ground. And not only phalanx, every one of them. Going round and round and round and... dead. Yeah, they were supposed to face the ennemy and guard the street. Not empaling itself on his pikes with this weirdo guigue. Got a whole 3 chevron triarii unit raped by peasant this way (playing H/H)

Third, I often get stuck in place by dead soldiers. VERY often. Every battle, in fact.

I've read this is a current issue, that it's hardcoded etc. etc.

But I've been playing Rome TW for loooooong now, EB most of the times, a few other mods, and if I've already seen that, it's the 1st time I experience it so often and badly. So why now? And as I said, I'm playing a new installation featuring alex.exe, the minipack mod, and a few changes in buildings : I had the sa meswith Rome.exe, so could it be the Alex.exe fault? and if it is so, how is it possible to fix that? I assume not every player is experiencing the same thing, or the Alex.exe would be dead since long.

So...

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: city battle...

Is the mini-mod-pack affecting battle-formations?

I have also experience with the first two issues mentioned, I'm afraid there is nothing one can do (except not playing the since the beginning bugged siege-defences). What do you mean by dead soldiers?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

yeah the minimod mack includes AI Battle Formation Mod, but it worked well under rome.exe.
    the dead soldiers are these fantoms your units keep fighting even if they're all dead or have leaved the battle.

so nothing to do about it... argh.

more questions though : can I switch back to rome.exe without reinstalling everything? How? Is it save compatible?

thanx

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

I don't think RTW/ALEX are save-game compatible, BI/RTW is IIRC. If you switch, you will get irreversible trait errors.

Is that problem with dead enemies solvable by sending your own troops away? If you still have to fight even there is no sight of an enemy unit, look out for soldiers that got stuck in barriers blocking their escape-route, this normally works for me.
    Maybe other people can share their thoughts about the mentioned problems too.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions