Thread: 1.1 ctd crash report- how i fixed it

Default 1.1 ctd crash report- how i fixed it

First the specifics. EB 1.1, clean install from 1.5, no other mods. I kept starting campaigns in 1.2 but they would eventually degrade and be shown as 1.1 and the general hiring system would fall apart, everyone would be interlopers, so I just reinstalled 1.1, seemingly fixing this problem. Thats not what this is about though, this is just 1.1 campaign as rome.

Of say the last 5 campaigns i've had in eb I never actually finished one. 2 hard drive crashes, 1 abandoned after upgrade to 1.2, and 2 ctd full losses. As a result I keep multiple saves spread out over multiple turns. This did not help this time though, as everytime i hit a certain turn id get ctd when sweboz started moving.

Since ive done rome before i thought id go a different direction and invade carthage first, leaving the sweboz unscathed. I thought a recent city i reconquered over in morroco revolting caused the crash, so i went back a few turns and didn't capture it. Crash continued so i read up on the forums and found out sweboz spawning too many markers. So i installed all the fixes, nothing worked. I reinstalled rome, the patches, and eb at least 3 times, tried destroying possible buggy buildings, tried declaring war on sweboz, but nothing worked.

Finally, the solution SOO FAR, as I am 2 turns past the crash point now, was a hasty invasion of sweboz land and captureing one of their cities quickly.

I don't normally post, but i figure this solution was weird enough that it might be useful in some way.

Save right before the crash is here-
    http://ul.to/pdi80b

heres a turn after i fixed it-
    http://ul.to/4q5679

Default Re: 1.1 ctd crash report- how i fixed it

well, unfortunately sweboz ctd'd again about 4 turns later. Maybe I have to keep wiping them out to keep it from crashing? Well anyways, I hope somone has a more elegant solution

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

The fixes for the Sweboz marker problem are only working rightful for 1.2.
    Killing this faction could help you.

However, the most stable version is 1.2 + fixes.
    BTW: How did your version "degrade"?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of it. It may have been complications from installing BI or a mod after the fact (I used to play the fourth age mod off of 1.6). I absolutely love eb, which is why i can stand playing it despite the history of constantly losing mostly finished campaigns.

I can go back to the fixed s1 save, but Ill be hard pressed to wipe out an army every turn since all of my legions are in africa save 1 and a half on the northern border.

You can use cheats to teleport armies next to their cities (although the Roman naming-system may be hard to understand).
    If other mods are mod-foldered as EB is, in theory everything should work fine. The inclusion of mini-mods can increase the chance of getting failures in the game, but it doesn't have to.
    Regarding CTD's: Open a thread here with as most information as you can give, in the most times there can be something done.

XSamatan

disable_ai cheat seems to have done the trick, kept it on for a few turns while i built up a few legions, attacked the sweboz, then reloaded it and no crashing. Think i might give the provinces to the averni to be fair.

I couldn't figure out the spelling of faction names for several other cheats i tried first, but this seems like the least obtrusive method anyways.
    Last edited by sethbest; 03-25-2010 at 22:48.

See this thread for the factions, they are changed compared to vanilla.

XSamatan

Very convinient thread. Just to clarify, when using a faction name in the console the vanilla names are to be used? My trouble was getting the ê in Swêboz, since ascii numbers didn't appear to work in console.

exactly! CA made it possible to rename the internal names in patch 1.5, too late for EB as most of thes script was done.

XSamatan