Thread: Political affiliations

Default Political affiliations

This issue may have been raised before, and if so, feel free to lock this thread, but do you think we could see some reform of the Romani political factions in EB II? Because in my 1-2 years of playing EB, I have almost NEVER seen a patrician with the popularis trait, or a plebeian with the optimas trait. People with the Patricus trait always seem to be optimates and family members with the Plebeius trait are always Populares. I have heard of it occasionally being the other way around, but VERY rarely. But we know for a fact that this just wasn't true in antiquity. There were many prominent politicians in the late Republic who were from old patrician families who embraced populist reform (Caesar, Catilina, Clodius) and many people from either no family background (Cicero, Milo) or a younger family background (Cato) who tended toward the Optimates. Would it be possible to reform the Popularis and Optimas traits so that there would be a more generous mixing of political affiliations in the various classes? Thanks, and sorry if this has been discussed already. -M
    My Balloons:

Default Re: Political affiliations

I would just want care to be made for avoiding an exxageration of what Optimatas and Popularis actually meant at the time, but yes I would agree that it should be more random if possible.

Just curious Tancred, but what do you mean about exaggeration?
    My Balloons:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Presumably, Tancred refers to your description of "popularis" and "optimate" as political affiliations. The Roman political system had no such thing as political parties, and the words referred as much, if not more, to a style of presentation as to an actual agenda.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Oh I'm aware that there weren't political parties, but I chose to title this "political affiliations" because at the time, no other appropriate title came to mind. -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Presumably, Tancred refers to your description of "popularis" and "optimate" as political affiliations. The Roman political system had no such thing as political parties, and the words referred as much, if not more, to a style of presentation as to an actual agenda.
    Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself.