Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: EBNOM official discussion thread

Default Re: EB late campaign mod

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Sorry for the late response!

I would like to help, but I don't think I will be of much help. I cannot skin or model or anything. So don't be disappointed in my work.

I can:
    - Edit .txt files (write descriptions modify colours names etc.)
    - Research factions (Ptolemaioi or SPQR would be my fields I think)
    - Check spelling or do simple stuff nobody wants to do.
    - Bring up ideas.

Also I can learn quick with programs. Don't get too high expectations of me.

~Fluvius
    Great.... We will need a bit on history definetly... If you can do only that it will help. Of course we will be bound to 100% (if possible) historical accuracy, and in-depth information...

@Gamegeek2
    I suggest it being closed, only available for the people working at it... It seems easier without people watching your every step :)...

what do you think?
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I myself think that this project will be better to be worked as semi-open (but kept some as developer's secret), so at least the community knows about the overall progress more openly, but not the details... that way, you'll got the community's whip...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

We can also have LS legionaries.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    We can also have LS legionaries.
    that will give us 1000+ fans :D

So what have we decided about the mod being community or private?

Apparently, lots of public input, but largely private otherwise.

I'll set up something on Forumotion maybe?
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

"To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Anyone interested in joining should PM me and sign up on our forum.

Anyone interested in joining should PM me and sign up on our forum.
    I edited my first 2 posts in order for people not to be confused. I will update it frequently. If you have any idea what i should add, please do tell.

Lost between books & coins Member DeathFinger's Avatar

80 BC in the East?

Uh , lot of fun: Sakas of Seistan, Yuezhei in Baktria/Sogdiana, Indo-Greeks in Panjab and Patalene/Saurastrene....

Well, if you want some help about geopolitical problems in this far East I could help you a little bit. BTW 80 BC is almost the date when Maues, the hellenized Indo-Saka took the throne in Taxila, so you must take care at the precise start of the mod's date here

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFinger View Post
    80 BC in the East?

Uh , lot of fun: Sakas of Seistan, Yuezhei in Baktria/Sogdiana, Indo-Greeks in Panjab and Patalene/Saurastrene....

Well, if you want some help about geopolitical problems in this far East I could help you a little bit. BTW 80 BC is almost the date when Maues, the hellenized Indo-Saka took the throne in Taxila, so you must take care at the precise start of the mod's date here
    wow... Good to hear you could offer some help. I must admit i have very little idea what was going on at this time east of Parthia. All i know is from the interaction between the scythians/greeks and the Parthian Empire. Some geopolitical input would be great, so we may start on a early map... West is pretty much clear cut (except Hispania imho), the east is where the problems will rise.

We will gladly hear your input if you'll help us

West is not clear cut. Germania will need some clear changes in settlements, rather than "Gawjam X" - I'd prefer to use Ptolemy to get some actual settlements.

I already have something going on in Google Earth.
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 06-19-2010 at 19:49.

We should post our reasoning for 80 BC

-Rome is the major Mediterranean superpower, but the Empire is far from complete
    -Ongoing conflict between Rome, Pontus, and Armenia
    -Famous historical characters such as Pompey, Caesar, Sulla, Cicero, Crassus, and more for Rome; excellent roleplaying opportunities
    -Mithradates VI for Pontus and Tigranes the Great for Armenia
    -Vercingetorix for the Arverni (though only 2 years old)
    -Nabatu are in their golden age; Hasmoneans are alive and kicking
    -Parthia is a major power
    -Axum is getting started (if included)
    -Indo-Saka are getting started

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

good... ^^

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

- Indo-Saka are a big deal under Maues
    - Indo-Greek kingdom still exists under a certain Hermaios in the Paropamisadai, so interesting conflict between both.
    - Yuezhei of Baktria/Sogdiana divided between 5 yabghu, but playing the "Guishuang" one to unit all of those and creat the Koushan kingdom would be fun I think.
    Last edited by DeathFinger; 06-20-2010 at 10:25.

We should post our reasoning for 80 BC

-Rome is the major Mediterranean superpower, but the Empire is far from complete
    -Ongoing conflict between Rome, Pontus, and Armenia
    -Famous historical characters such as Pompey, Caesar, Sulla, Cicero, Crassus, and more for Rome; excellent roleplaying opportunities
    -Mithradates VI for Pontus and Tigranes the Great for Armenia
    -Vercingetorix for the Arverni (though only 2 years old)
    -Nabatu are in their golden age; Hasmoneans are alive and kicking
    -Parthia is a major power
    -Axum is getting started (if included)
    -Indo-Saka are getting started
    And...

- Burebista is King of the Getai... The strongest king until Decebalus
    - Spain is a war-zone, with strongen northen tribes and a newly formulated Roman state lead by Quintus Sertorius
    -

My pet peeve...

Where is the Cimbrii/Haerudi?

Jutland in 80 BC was definately to be reckoned with though likely merging with the Suebi (Caesar lists the haerudi as following Ariovistus and Tacitus all Denmark as being part).

And no, I still cannot help by anything else than letting GG2 copy what I do internally that can be made public (not too much yet).

Sorry.
    Last edited by Macilrille; 06-20-2010 at 20:52.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Maybe the first thing to do would be to choose the 20 factions so

--- Factions ---

Senatus Populusque Romanus (obviously)
    Boii
    Aedui
    Arverni
    Getai
    Suebi
    Lugiones
    Ptolemaioi
    Hasmoneans
    Nabatu
    Indo-Greeks
    Indo-Saka
    Pontus
    Hayasdan
    Parthia
    Sauromatae
    Yuezhi
    Himyarites
    Axum
    Meroe
    Eleutheroi
    Sertorius isn't in this list :(
    Last edited by DeathFinger; 06-20-2010 at 22:01.

We are still deciding about the factions that should be in... This were all wip lists... We made a list on the new internal forums, and made a core of 13 or so factions that must be in... We are still deciding about who else deserves the spot(s).

Let's just say the Romani are definetly in, unless something unforseen happens :)

Village in the Outer Rim of Hamburg, Germany.

hello, just signed in to this freaking mod. Playing EB since 2008 and now i see my chance to help.
    Though I am not able to programm or model anything, I might be able to help you in historical terms.
    Ever thought about including the jewish revolt in about 70 AC?

I am also quite fond in germanic history and also in weapon and warfare of that time. Can you make use of me?
    If not, it wouldn't be bad either. Was just asking :)
    Marvin: I could calculate your chances, but you won't like it.
    Cesar: Who asked you anyway?

Marvin: These are the worst archers in the world.
    Cretan Archer: What did you just say?

Hi Gonras,

i'm glad you offer your help, however, since your a new member, it would be nice if you could give a bit of a background; like how old are you, are you just someone who reads about history every now and then, or do you have a lot of knowledge, a big library nearby, you have done some papers or work in the field of history, etc..

If you are able to provide interesting info, that would be precise, your help could prove very valuable.

As for the Jewish revolt i'll have to say NO. We won't have any scripted revolts (at least not those who weren't inevitable by 80 BC), and we might have Judea as a faction from day 1, so keep your fingers crossed :)

Village in the Outer Rim of Hamburg, Germany.

I think the most difficult part is to display the turmoils caused by Sulla. In 82 BC, he was the dictator of Rome and, basically, strengthened the power of the optimates and sentenced a lot of people to death and then resigned in 79 BC. 8 years later many of his reforms were cancelled, some were'nt, like the quaestor being the entrance office to the senat. Displaying this will prove itself as challenging, for it had serious influence in the roman republic, and gave the optimates fraction some more time to exist and hold their powerful influence.

I think it is the best idea to use the Imperium Iulianum as the rebellious faction, and give them a good opportunity to conquer Gaul and thus gain Power, for simulating the gallic wars, for example the campaign starts when Cesar receives command about the gallic provinces and thus gains a good position for conquest (just an example, I know that we already decided not to let the campaign begin in that time)
    Also, there were remnants of the seleucid empire in syria until 64 BC, Pompey conquered them in that year, but that is not my specialty. But perhaps it would be sufficient to make a bunch of rebel cities there.

At last, we should also decide when the campaign ends. If we stick to the time span of EB1, that would be 206 AC (286 years from 80 BC). Germanic society went through significant changes in that time, especially in case of the marcomannic kingdom, which could make up well for an own faction instead of swebozez or lugians (their rise to power could make an interesting campaign, I think)
    Last edited by Gonras; 06-27-2010 at 22:48.
    Marvin: I could calculate your chances, but you won't like it.
    Cesar: Who asked you anyway?

Marvin: These are the worst archers in the world.
    Cretan Archer: What did you just say?

The Seleucids were no longer a power of any kind at this time... They don't deserve anything :)... After all, Antiocheia was already under the control of Tigranes the Great, so what was left of the Seleucids was under direct control of tigranes

So...how is this progressing? As you know, I am very interested in this project.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=17769&dateline=1281031642

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    So...how is this progressing? As you know, I am very interested in this project.
    Wow, 8 posts in 4 years... Nice ratio Salvor :)...

Well we are still pretty much at the start... We've made some pretty good research about new units, even made some of them, and we also debated about scripted events, the new map, the new factions, ...

All in all, we've been busy with school or vacations till July, so i hope we will be able to do something more during the summer... To have some basic results, perhaps even for a preview or 2... We still need help, that's for sure... There are only 4 of us, who actually have time atm, and we have 2 counselors of sorts right now... Hopefully some new blood will join... Perhaps even someone from the FRRE team :D :D :D

If any of you Twilight guys feel you're still very interested in the period, and wanna do something more ... We will gladly accept you among us

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

where is the development forum? GG2 didn't gave me the location...
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Wow, 8 posts in 4 years... Nice ratio Salvor :)...
    I know that I shouldn't spawn that much, but I cannot resist the temptation to increase my post account.
    Well we are still pretty much at the start... We've made some pretty good research about new units, even made some of them, and we also debated about scripted events, the new map, the new factions, ...
    Are you making a new map? Or just moving or adding some settlements from the EB one? I would recommend the last alternative, as otherwise you are going to have the mod development slown down.

Besides, you will find out that working with the descr_strat file is the best way to learn RTW mechanics and improve your motivation: just devote some time to changing settlements ownership and moving armies and you will see that, as the world that you invisioned takes shape, your enthusiasm increases.

If any of you Twilight guys feel you're still very interested in the period, and wanna do something more ... We will gladly accept you among us
    I would love to help but, as you already know, First Man in Rome and the several Res Gestae versions are consuming all of my time. And, should I embark in another project, it would be on a different timeframe. But I have talked to Bucellarii in our developer's forum and he is willing to help you.

Twilight guys? Now I am feeling a bit "vampirish"
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=17769&dateline=1281031642

Well we are still debating about what we should do with the map... In any case, the map will have many new and relocated settlements.

That's great that Bucellarii is willing to help... We are quite short-handed in research atm, so every help (especially such renowned) will be great. BTW i can't wait to see FMIR...

@Sonic
    I sent you the location

cool,

I will honour you till death if this mod happends...
    (I m not sceptic about it...)
    Unfortunately I do not have any experiance with this...

OT (anubis): Svaka čast, upam da ti uspe... Vsekakor moreste itak počaka do izida EB2-ja, do takrat lahko samo teorizirate...

OT2 (Salvor Hradin): Im your greatest fan... just i will never reach your wordless skils... Maybe you are a Spartiat?
    The soldier who runs away, will RUN away another day...

Hopefully everything will go smoothly... It will go much faster if more people will join to help... Actually we need a lot of historians as well, and this is basically a field that many EB fans can fulfil, since EB is practically a history book... All you need is interest and time... and time seems to be the biggest problem unfortunatly

OT Zakaj počakat EB II? sej delamo za 1ko, drgač je pa gamegeek2 član, tko da mamo nekaj "inside info-a:D"

Finding members is always difficult, unfortunately. But you have a great platform to develop the mod. Just make it simple!

@jazstl: thanks a lot for your support! But I must confess that I am not too skilled, in the way that the RTW pioneers like Mydraal or Epistolary Richard were. I am more of a devoted pupil.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Finding members is always difficult, unfortunately.
    You can say that again. Of course it's understandable. RTW is old, like you've said before, there were 3 new TW games that came after it, so it's tough to compete with that. Perhaps once we release a preview or 2, people will flock to our help.

But some progress has been done;
    gamegeek2 has shown great enthusiasm, deep knowledge and really great dedication,
    CuteWolf is valuable practically in every area he gives his eyes on, and has a much deeper knowledge on the engine than myself
    Finn is making some really beautiful units (wait till you see them)
    DeathFinger will probably help out more once we will reach the east of the map,
    Gonras will unfortunatly take time off during the summer,
    while I will try to do as much work as possible before the exams hit me in the face again...

Getting a few new researches for the factions which aren't in EB, or have changed dramatically in 200 years would be very nice to have
    Last edited by anubis88; 07-07-2010 at 22:11.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast