Thread: Quality vs. Quantity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In 4000-6000 per person koku games (seems to be generally standard) how important does honor fit in with you guys? I would like the opinion of more experienced players as I've only been doing MP a week and have been experimenting with a lot of different things. On the one hand, my H3 Monks or H4 or H5 Yari Samurai can beat base monks hands down. But that doesn't help if he has so many cheap units he can flank. Even an H5 Yari Samurai can't take a monk in front and on the side at once. On the other hand, when I go with numerical superiority and have close to 16 units but all at base 2 honor, I find routing can happen easily just 10 seconds into the actual fighting or less. I'd like to hear from people who go pure numbers or pure quality/honor and from anyone who might know a good balance.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Now we disappear,
    Well, what must we think of it?
    From the sky we came.
    Now we may go back again.
    That's at least one point of view.
    -Hojo Ujimasa's seppekku poem.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

I frequently use honor 0 muskets as fluff. I dont like missile units, but for defense theyre useful (if its not raining) and theyre super-cheap anyway, allowing you to fill the rest of your army with better quality units.

All I know is that if I have 16 units and you have 8, and we engage without my units hitting you from the flanks AND rear, you deserve to win. Also lets say I have 8 muskets and 8 melees, and you have 8 nice honor monks. Well high honor doesnt make you bulletproof or arrowproof, so weak missile units can still ruin your day, and without the bodies on the field, your only hope is to be able to hit only part of my big army with the whole of yours, then your high honor wins and you rout my men, and half my army is gone....

I guess it just comes down to skill. If you can play with a small number of high honor units and win, do it. If you do it and always get encircled and beat, tone down your honor and buy more units. If your center keeps collapsing, use YS or Nag on hold formation.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

with comparably skilled generals, numbers will always win. hands down. the loss of defending or attacking on the flanks will kill you every time without the numbers. it's not the deaths that kill you, it's the morale and getting flanked is devastating to morale.

K.

Kraellin,

I know what you mean. Since starting MP I seem to be on a mostly losing streak where my kills are way higher than the guy who beat me. It's the flank prob when I don't have numbers, musket morale rout when I'm outgunned.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Now we disappear,
    From the sky we came.
    Koga no Goshi

I would like to meet up with some people from the board to play some friendly practice games so that I can improve my game. I noticed most profiles don't have ICQ or e-mail info, though, and I'm not sure who out of all of you use the same name to post with that you'd appear in the EA chatrooms with or not, so anyone who wouldn't mind playing me a couple games to help me out with stuff like flankings and heavy musket attacks and such, could ya please contact me? These are in order of most convenient ways to reach me. I'm on ICQ the least.

My AIM is Duskofdead
    My E-mail is Duskofdead@aol.com
    My ICQ is 24989435

Thanks for any help,

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Now we disappear,
    From the sky we came.
    Koga no Goshi

I agree with you kraellin. It is generally known by vets, that flanking is the way to beat an enemy easiest. I believe every player has its own personal best army. Every people is different, whether it is in IQ, reflex, mouse speed, tactical ability etc. This makes a very good army for one a very bad army for the other, although playing enough with an army eventually could make a player who needs speed especcially, turn him into a tactical "step-based" way of fighting.
    As an example, I always take 16 units till a koku value of 2500. I like to have a diverse army, with yari sam, no dachi, monks, cav archers, and musks. I try to still find a good way to keep monks and musks to a minimum, but I also agree with lots of others that they have a wrong cost/skill proportion.

DARE