Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maratha taking over the world

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Maratha taking over the world

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda Shogunate View Post
    Maratha are the best faction in ETW.They're fine!An excelllent choice!
    They are quite fun to play, and an interesting challenge. Mostly, this thread is bemoaning the amazing power it has under AI control vis-a-vis the Mughals and the Middle East -- and with their penchant for hunting you wherever you are.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

The orange mass spreading across the world drives me crazy. I would prefer to fight a different army from time to time; say the mughals, then the persians, and maybe then the marathas. but not always marathas.

I finally modded them; I removed some key units so they had less fighting power, especially infantry and ships of the line. This gave their neighbors a fighting chance.

Member Member xxrulerofswedenxx's Avatar

Wink Re: Maratha taking over the world

Quote Originally Posted by Mongothegreat View Post
    How to stop? I guess I just have to start fighting them, but they're my trade partners so I'd go broke. They just took over Britain and are currently sending several full stacks toward the European mainland. I'm the Dutch, I've taken over all France's lands and all the Americas except for the USA. Is there any way to trick other countries into fighting them for me?

I'm not complaining, I'm up to the challenge, just wondering how to stop them without losing all my trade income.
    you should have wipped them out from the beginning . there pretty weak then

I tried to colonise India as France at 1935 today, and the moment I declare war, about 4 full-stack Marathan armies pop up in the Carribean and take literally everything but the windward and Leeward Isles. I think I can get them out of there fine, but I wanted to know how one could go about making the likes of Great Britain and United Provinces start colonising Maratha? I'm trying to give them one of the provinces I just captured, but until recently I was at war with both Britain and the Provinces, and they just won't accept it, even for free. If about three of the European naval powers started fighting Maratha head on for colonies, do you think they would be able to win, or would the Marathans just kick them out anyway?

As it is, it looks like I'm set to lose my really experienced full stack army, they're just getting swamped by Sikh Swordsmen and they are much stronger than I anticipated. I remember one game I was Austria and I gave the Marathans saxony because I knew the Prussians were about to steamroll me, biggest miscalculation ever XD

Edit: just to clarify, since I never had the commitment to drive a grand campaign till 1800; if Maratha get too strong, will they literally pose a threat to winning the campaign? Or is it just that they are annoying and kill all your favorite enemies ;)
    Last edited by Diocletian; 06-17-2012 at 16:07.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

They are a royal pain but you should be able to win so long as everyone else doesn’t jump you in the bargain.

It will not be easy and not much fun unless it is for the long term challenges you will face.

You need to beat them at sea first and disrupt all their ports and kill their trade before they do the same to you. Also don’t auto-resolve your battles. You should not have too much trouble beating their doom stacks with good troops if you fight them your self but auto-resolve will flatten you.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I think it's because their economy is so amazing. I haven't seen anyone ever get close to their prestige. Declaring war on them is a death sentence they destroyed all of my prussian colonies in a few turns. Now im playing as austria and they are getting closer. These guys seriously piss me off i wish there was a simple way to defeat them. Next time im going to play as the dutch and im going to try to expand into india early on and get rid of this slime.
    The problem i had with them is that they were so far away and i had no navy early on. As soon as i sent an army to their side of the world they already had enough soldiers to obliterate it.

If you don't have any strong territories nearby it is impossible to reinforce your armies. I will win a few battles but my units will continue to dwindle down and i have to keep recruiting more and more. Also it helps if you have 2 separate naval fleets maybe even 3 to help you get from point a to point b.
    Next time im just going to try to take their capital city with my first or second assault. It would make conquering them a bit easier if i had their best territory working towards my advantage at the start of the war.

Also i wish i could unite the entire continent of europe against them. They just start to pick nations off one by one. I wish you could hold war conferences and discuss strategy with your allies. For example tell britain to attack their ports and attack their coastlines while i focus on moving soldiers through the middle east and fight land battles. It would be so much easier to deal with them if we could coordinate our assaults.

lol never mind yesterday im actually matching them economically
    but i don't think it will last long because it has something to do with my countries inventiveness
    once india reaches the same level they will be right back on top
    Last edited by wal_martian; 08-10-2012 at 15:47.

Try to stall the Maratha early game as much as possible by trading and giving tech to the Mughals. Then once you have expanded enough you can attack the Maratha in India by the sea, to stop them at their roots :)
    Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.
    - Julius Caesar

I get tired of every campaign, no matter which faction, winding up with me having to fight the Maratha. I have seen them destroyed four times by a faction other than the one I am playing. It's almost enough to drive me to use a Mod.

Whoever takes India becomes formidable. No dangerous neighbours, and often none as the Dutch and Portuguese can succumb early in the game. The Ottomans have to contend with Russia and Austria. The Maratha have only a luckless Persia which can an ally of the Mughals. A single front invasion of the Ottomans who can be fighting two neighbours tends to have only one result. Also Anatolia has two colleges. It revolts very frequently, even with an otherwise healthy Ottoman faction, and that's fatal while fighting invasion, although the ai can slow up if a rebel province appears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12