Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maratha taking over the world

Default Maratha taking over the world

How to stop? I guess I just have to start fighting them, but they're my trade partners so I'd go broke. They just took over Britain and are currently sending several full stacks toward the European mainland. I'm the Dutch, I've taken over all France's lands and all the Americas except for the USA. Is there any way to trick other countries into fighting them for me?

I'm not complaining, I'm up to the challenge, just wondering how to stop them without losing all my trade income.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Maratha taking over the world

Its official, Marathas is so OP it can fight its way into the Napoleonic Wars.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Moved to Parliament.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Depends on the campaign setting. At H or VH the conflict is pretty well a given. At M, you may be able to arrange a proxy, but you will have to conquer territory near another suitable opponent and give it to Maratha. With a little luck this'll channel their full stacks in that direction.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I read once that someone said to give money and technology to the Mughals. This would help slow down Maratha. Is this a good technique? Haven't tried it myself. Though I might, in my current Russia campain Maratha has started a war against Persia. I've given several technologies to Persia and made an alliance with Maratha (Muhgals are gone now), hopefully Maratha won't attack me for I am rather weak on that side of the map!
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    I read once that someone said to give money and technology to the Mughals. This would help slow down Maratha. Is this a good technique? Haven't tried it myself. Though I might, in my current Russia campain Maratha has started a war against Persia. I've given several technologies to Persia and made an alliance with Maratha (Muhgals are gone now), hopefully Maratha won't attack me for I am rather weak on that side of the map!
    It works on M campaign difficulty. However, you have to be playing a faction that can actually afford to prop up another faction that early in the game.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Yeah, I've only done that as Russia, Great Britian and Sweden. Haven't seen it to fruition though. My Campaigns have always ended before Maratha moves beyond India and Persia. Also, yes I do play on M difficulty. Though technologies are rather inexpensive, I don't often provide much by way of money early in the campaign.
    Silence is beautiful

I've edited the game files to make the Mughals start as a Cons. Monarchy with more money. There's also some minor mods out there that give certain Europeans some colonies in India; combined, these factors help keep the Maratha down.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

In the early game make your trade agreements with the Mughals and give them techs. They also now have two schools which helps them. I think CA saw the problem.

By trading with the Mughals and not the Maratha you go a long way in keeping them alive a bit longer.

If it is really bad going to war with Maratha and raiding their trade might work but in the end you are playing one side off against the other and want them both weak and fighting.

Of course a lot depends on your faction but even Prussia and Austria don't need them showing up in Europe.

As far as giving money goes, even a couple of hundred here and there can help.

I know the money goes in increments of a thousand but you know you can type in any amount you wish, don’t you?
    Last edited by Fisherking; 04-17-2010 at 12:04.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I forgot you could raid their trade routes. Plus, it's my chance to take over the British Isles and India. I have a dominate Navy, with a steam drydock and around fifteen second raters. Plus, the game's called Total War, not Total (anything else).

As far as I can see, money is the deciding factor. Techs help, but the Mughuls have no infantry that can use bayonets, drills, or any of that stuff.

In my campaign a France, Mughuls still controlled half of India in 1720, as I was giving them at least 1,000 a turn. In my campaign as Persia....they got steamrolled and the Maratha allied with the Ottomans to attack me from both sides. I simply didn't have any money to spare as that faction.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

In my Russian campaign I am currently broke. Fighting a two front war, Sweden to the north and Ottomans to the south. Persia is a nice buffer but I fear the Maratha (I haven't faced them in battle yet but hear they can be quite formidable!), so I've been trying to prop up persia...no money unfortunately though. I've been giving them all the research I can manage, military, economic, intellectual, in the hopes the AI can manage a decent defense when the Maratha move from the India theatre to Europe. I gave all my technologies to the thirteen colonies as GB one campaign such that they wouldn't be absorbed by the natives and the emergant americans, they held their own but didn't develop much economically. At this point in my Russia campaign, hopefully my faith in the Persians isn't unfounded!
    Silence is beautiful

In my Russian campaign I am currently broke. Fighting a two front war, Sweden to the north and Ottomans to the south. Persia is a nice buffer but I fear the Maratha (I haven't faced them in battle yet but hear they can be quite formidable!), so I've been trying to prop up persia...no money unfortunately though. I've been giving them all the research I can manage, military, economic, intellectual, in the hopes the AI can manage a decent defense when the Maratha move from the India theatre to Europe. I gave all my technologies to the thirteen colonies as GB one campaign such that they wouldn't be absorbed by the natives and the emergant americans, they held their own but didn't develop much economically. At this point in my Russia campaign, hopefully my faith in the Persians isn't unfounded!
    I've never had much of a problem with the Marathas in battle. They don't get fire by rank which makes most of their infantry hopeless against a European opponent.

That's a relief. The only reason I ask is because the ottoman skirmishers (the sword weilding ones) gave me some difficulty. Though I'm still trying to get the hang of manipulating my units.
    Silence is beautiful

That's a relief. The only reason I ask is because the ottoman skirmishers (the sword weilding ones) gave me some difficulty. Though I'm still trying to get the hang of manipulating my units.
    Are you talking about Cemaat Janissaries?

You might have a bit of trouble on your hands then. The Marathas have Sikh Warriors, which are pretty amazing melee fighters, but I've never seen them deploy them in large numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratwar View Post
    Are you talking about Cemaat Janissaries?

You might have a bit of trouble on your hands then. The Marathas have Sikh Warriors, which are pretty amazing melee fighters, but I've never seen them deploy them in large numbers.
    Never seen armies fielding of 6 units of Ghurkas and 3 of Sikhs? They have loads of them in my current game.

Fortunately Persian Islamic Swordsmen are superior to both.

Yes it was Janissaries. They shreaded my line infantry. If it wasn't for so few of them, and a flank by one of my cavalry units, I woulnd't have fared so well.
    Silence is beautiful

Give their enemies tech and money, if it doesn't stalemate them, it will certainly slow the maratha down and make some hardcore friends for you, if they survive.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Maratha generally does not build a lot of schools and, when run by the AI, generally does not conquer Mysore. This means that they can fall well behind on the tech tree (and seem to fall behind in everything but artillery). Do NOT trade techs with them beyond the minimum needed to secure trade early on. This will not slow them at first because Mughal is so inept againt the AI Maratha with its all raid approach that it will always come up a cropper. The earliest I have seen the Mughals go in 1.5 was in 1718 -- though 1728-35 is more common. You can tech and fund Mughal all you want but they will give you squat in return and it can only delay the inevitable by a few years.

Annoyingly (at least on H/H), Maratha seems to be set to attack you unless you're playing Prussia, Austria, or Poland. Those three may well be targeted also, but are usually so embroiled in the Central Euro mess that you can't develop overseas or other Maratha-accessible territory. Otherwise, they will target (and I've seen them go for) Iceland, Newfoundland, The Guyanas, The Leewards, Hispaniola, Ireland, and Morocco by sea and of course Meso or Dag/Geo if you're fighting with one of the Eastern Euro powers. They will pick their target based on what will force you to fight a three-way war at the greatest disadvantage.

Their first fleets will fall readily to a small (2-4) squadron of relatively powerful hitters (galleons, 5ths and up) and that is the best way to deal with them. If you see a Marathese fleet heading toward one of your sea territories, do not hesitate. They will not continue trading past the end of your move and they will attack regardless of your relationsh with them (alliance, etc. are irrelevant, they MUST hammer you). Just sink them.

The same method can protect your sea-access territories later on, but you will need a largish squadron 6-10 3rd rate and better ships. Late Maratha spams 2nd rates and will often sail with a half dozen PLUS other ships. This will necessitate a squadron in each area you have territory to protect (NA, Carib, Channel, Morocco) and is expensive. If you share a land border with them you have two viable choices: 1) a top quality full stack guarding a "must have" capital that they will not bypass (e.g. Esfahan) or 2) Conquer all of India. Half measures between the two will just get expensive as they can produce a snot-load of troops. It is possible to win 5 battles (their troops are no better and often much weaker) and lose the territory to their 6th stack.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I've edited the game files to make the Mughals start as a Cons. Monarchy with more money. There's also some minor mods out there that give certain Europeans some colonies in India; combined, these factors help keep the Maratha down.
    could you tell me where to file game file and how to edit it.

Maratha AKA "the oring plague from the east" are evil. On VH/VH they will kill the Muglas, Persia and the Otomans, and around 1750 will dominete the world trade. India is vastly rich, so they realy don't need that see trade that much. That sad you must now that they are capable of building endless fleets of second rates so it is very hard to stop them. O and they build endles staks. For anyone thinking that sinkhs musketears are weak i wish him good luck. He will need it. And by the whay they have a school in Baijapur, Hindustan and Iran, right after 1740. Plus the one they build from sratch. So they will have enough tech to do whatever they whant. They will come for you sooner or later. So i rekomend going after them ASP. Fighting a world war against enemy with 25- 30 sekond rates, 10 armyes and huge economic and military potential is not fun. Espeshially if you have more enemys.Kiling Mysore first will make your life easy. They will fight you enyways. I it is a good idea to go for India with unleast 2 full staks.

2nd Regiment Pulaski's Legion Member Harold of Philadelphia's Avatar

Last night on my campaign, on VH/VH, I caught three Maratha fleets with full stacks and just two naval ships in each fleet trying to make their way to the Americas. I intercepted all three, one by one and sunk them all in the middle of the Atlantic all with full stack armies in them. A very gratifying experience.

It seems like the Maratha faction isn't building up a strong enough naval fleet to transport full stacked armies across theaters but I'm not complaining about it.

Last night on my campaign, on VH/VH, I caught three Maratha fleets with full stacks and just two naval ships in each fleet trying to make their way to the Americas. I intercepted all three, one by one and sunk them all in the middle of the Atlantic all with full stack armies in them. A very gratifying experience.
    Ha ha, to the bottom of the sea with them! I did this with Spain once. Though their fleet and stack sat motionless of the coast of France for a few turns (I was Britian) before I noticed and sank it! :P
    Silence is beautiful

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Right now it's about mids 1730's in my Prussia campaign and the Mats have all of India aside from Mysore and are starting to pressure Persia, should I buff the Russians? If I give them enough money/tech they should be able to stop them on land? In my campaign Russia hasn't managed to capture any ports of significance and therefore doesn't have any navy, however I don't have one either as I'm kind of going for a semi-historic campaign. Should I go after the Mats? Leave them to Russia? Or just let the steamroll their way across the world?
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbarf View Post
    Right now it's about mids 1730's in my Prussia campaign and the Mats have all of India aside from Mysore and are starting to pressure Persia, should I buff the Russians? If I give them enough money/tech they should be able to stop them on land? In my campaign Russia hasn't managed to capture any ports of significance and therefore doesn't have any navy, however I don't have one either as I'm kind of going for a semi-historic campaign. Should I go after the Mats? Leave them to Russia? Or just let the steamroll their way across the world?
    The only way you will stop them is to go to India your self.

Money and tech are usually wasted.

Mysore is their ally, no doubt. Go to India with three stacks and a good navy of strong SOLs.

Take the island of Ceylon and Mysore and go on from there.

Fighting in India is fun. No use waiting for them to get to Vienna before you take them on.

Mark Twain

Darn, I was hoping for a simply clean european campaign against the usual anti-prussian suspects. And I'll have to walk there, I don't even own a dockyard, though I do have like 7 Commercial basins.
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

The Prussians wanted colonies, they just didn’t start until late. The 1820s.

Some of your commercial basins don’t draw trade, I am sure, so convert one or capture one or more. You have time if they are just going after Persia.

Also, in India you usually can only build company troops, for the most part, so the regular troops you send will be your elite core armies.

To be a real Major Power requires trade and you need a navy to protect that trade.

A quick way to get a major jump start on that is to capture Morocco. The Naval Dockyard and Commercial Basin there are great and closer to all the trade nodes.

Mark Twain

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to create a secondary save at my current point in the campaign, then continue on as normal and see if I can't simply beat them through (que german accent) "my obvious superiority."

If that doesn't work I'll reload my split save and do what you recommend, I expect to die to the orange tide, but we'll see where this goes first.

The won’t beat you.

If it is an overland campaign then you need to just about eliminate them.

If you go to India you can take the high money and trade regions and forget about them for the most part.

Chances are you will win the game before they get to you.

Good Luck!

Mark Twain

Maratha are the best faction in ETW.They're fine!An excelllent choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast