Thread: Brainstorming for a last Casse campaign

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Brainstorming for a last Casse campaign

Well as EBII will soon consign the Casse to the history books by these new fangeled Pritanoi I now want to give a Casse campaign a good go. The problem is I usually get a bit bored with just taking rebel settlements then having enough muscle to steam roll Gual. With no one to attack me I only have pressure on me in the first few turns.

Can anyone suggest what house rules to go with and also what long term stratergy to pursue? Should I just take 3 provinces and then invade the mainland?

Thanks

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Default Re: Brainstorming for a last Casse campaign

Urm maybe don't disband the fleet you start with at the beginning? On VH/M its crazy enough to make money, with a extra 1000odd upkeep cost weighing you down from the fleet should make it real difficult to get the economy up and running as well as minimal money to fend off rebel stacks? Sorry bud, that's all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by stratigos vasilios; 04-21-2010 at 14:51. Reason: Spelling
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Here's a thought - restrict your recruitment so that you have mostly cheap lower- tier units with only a few 'good' ones.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Quote Originally Posted by olly View Post
    Can anyone suggest what house rules to go with and also what long term stratergy to pursue? Should I just take 3 provinces and then invade the mainland?

Thanks
    My house rules with the Casse are to take things as slowly as possible. Really, really, really slowly. Like capturing one town every 10 years - that's one every 40 turns! That way, it takes 70 years to conquer all of Britain and Ireland.

By that time, 202 BC, the Sweboz, one of the two Gallic factions, the Lusotanns and the Romani will be much, much more powerful than they were at the start of the campaign, and tough enough to give you a serious challenge, unlike the start when they are pushovers.

During the 70 years, spend all your small budget on town improvements. So, a very long and boring game at the start, consisting mostly of clicking the end turn button, but much more fun after 202 BC.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 04-21-2010 at 22:18.

Take your troops and invade Gaul, immediately! D-Day: The Prequel
    This space intentionally left blank.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Either... Invade Iberia once you have the British Isles
    Or........ Try playing the game using only Goidelic units, at last an Irish Empire!
    Or even.... Try take the Mediterranean islands, in particular the Balaerics, Crete, Cyprus and if possible Sicily then become a pirate nation to fund yer conquests, yar!

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Pirate empires are fun You'll be spending most of your money on fleets, fighting a loopsided naval war with carthage though.... :(

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Getting a Belgian province right away, disbanding the fleet, and building ports there can make a lot of money.
    One thing I tried, was that for every settlement in the Isles taken, I had to take a mainland settlement, and I had a lot of fun with that campaign.
    Also, don't build roads around your capital until your ready to fight rebels.
    ...at least put some spikes in your club for goodness sake!