Thread: The scum of the earth

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Angry The scum of the earth

I don't know if you caught anything on that planecrash, but it did. Crash. Many dead, all of them really. One survivor, a 9 year old boy from Tilburg, Holland. Quite the story here naturally. You would expect that journalists would show some restraint. But at De Telegraaf they disagree a scoop is a scoop no? So they managed they get the boy on the phone. So what do you ask? If he knows that his parents are dead of course, what else. Well he didn't but he does now. Rot in hell.
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-14-2010 at 08:41.

Default Re: The scum of the earth

Sounds awful. Don Henley said it best regarding the media...

Wow. That's tactless...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Wow. That's tactless...
    "Tactless?" It's tactless in the same way that the Iraq invasion was a "spot of bother." What're you doing, channelling your inner "stiff upper lip brit?"
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I hate reporters sometimes. This morning, I read that his aunt and uncle were visiting him in the hospital, but he had not been told that his parents and brother were dead, and that doctors were waiting until he had recovered a little more before telling him. It's horrible that they purposely traumatized a 9 year old to get a good story.

Also, whose brilliant idea was it to let him talk to a reporter on the phone?! Someone should have been watching him.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

My best bet would be that she pretended to be family, had she called as a reporter his aunt would have been consulted. This will have consequences rest assured.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    "Tactless?" It's tactless in the same way that the Iraq invasion was a "spot of bother." What're you doing, channelling your inner "stiff upper lip brit?"
    Well, I would say it's [bad] and [bad] and [bad] ... Clearly not viable options. So yes, tactless, to say the least.

Journalism at this level should not be fined... Jail, most def. And a fine for the company too, of course.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    Journalism at this level should not be fined... Jail, most def. And a fine for the company too, of course.
    Could not agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

What the [gah] is wrong with De Telegraaf? And what the [gah] is wrong with that reporter? What were the [gahing] smoking?

Insane, tasteless, thoughtless, cruel, pathetic, amoral ... and some other adjectives that aren't appropriate to this board.

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

In the US, we have an tort called "intentional infliction of emotional distress." I wonder if something similar would apply, because that reporter deserves to be sued into destitution. S/he had to know that telling an injured 9 year old child that his entire family had been killed would cause serious trauma.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Sorry, I'm an ESL person and couldn't think of a better word at the time, disgusting may be a better term.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Not even legal In the us as someone pointed out already

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Not even legal In the us as someone pointed out already
    Amercians usually tout the First Amendment and Free Speech at this point, to fight the fascist oppression of their liberties. I am glad people here are smarter then that. (a compliment)
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

ABC, PBS and CNN (I didn't check the others) are reporting that the young lad's aunt and uncle told him about his parents and brother - no word of the Telegraf. Something beginning to smell rotten here.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

ABC, PBS and CNN (I didn't check the others) are reporting that the young lad's aunt and uncle told him about his parents and brother - no word of the Telegraf. Something beginning to smell rotten here.
    I was going to say the same. Cough up the sources.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Something is fishy indeed, more when I know more

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Since the crash, none of the stories on-line by the New York or Washington Times nor my local paper mentioned the controversy reported by Frag. If true, that would be almost as big a part of the story as the crash itself. What are your sources Frag?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

The tit of public moral outrage over something that probably never happened as it seems now.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Here's some english-language sourcing for the "feelings-be-damned, go-for-the-scoop" story: http://www.rnw.nl/africa/article/dis...-far-too-far-0

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Netherlands Worldwide
    One daily, De Telegraaf, went further, publishing a telephone interview Ruben gave shortly after waking up from hours of surgery. The paper claims it got the boy on the phone by accident, through his surgeon. The interview reveals how the boy bursts into tears as he realises he is not talking to his family but to a journalist. It becomes clear he is not even aware the plane has crashed and his parents and brother are dead.

The interview published by De Telegraaf triggered a storm of protest. How did the daily dare to get in touch with an injured minor, who hasn’t even yet realised what he has gone through? On Twitter the paper got slammed. An initiative for a boycott took hold and hundreds of readers canceled their subscriptions.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 05-15-2010 at 14:33.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

True after all. Accident my youknow she must have pretended she was family.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: The scum of the earth

Thanks Kukri! Shameful conduct indeed, and there should be a civil suit for this poor lad. Boycott the paper, blackball the journalist, make them pay thousands of times what the "scoop" was worth.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Getting in touch with the boy via the surgeon isn't going to happen by accident. He's going to be very protected, so either deception or coercion was used to gain access. Saying "hi, I'm a journalist" will get "no comment" from any health professional - even if only as they want to be employed in the future.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill