Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I keep terrifying people

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default I keep terrifying people

I know this sounds like a stupid topic but...

Whenever I go to walk by (as in overtake) someone on the street, I keep making them themselves. This seems to happen a lot these days, one women yesterday jumped and said "oh my god" when I did it (not too dramatically but still).

I can only guess as to why this happens, and my best bet is that I move very quietly. I do this in the house as well, a lot of the time I will just be going about by business and then people will suddenly say "aah where did you come from?!". I tried it and I noticed I really don't make any noise at all when moving. I don't know why I have developed this, maybe too much Splinter Cell when I was younger?

Even though this is a gaming forum, I really do not look creepy at all in RL. The only thing I can think of is people say I look very common and a bit chavvy, so maybe people think I might mug them?

I haven't heard of anything like this before, but given my history of people telling me how I do this around the house etc, I don't think it is all in my head. Does it happen to anyone else here?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I keep terrifying people

Nah, I just get told point black that I'm creepy. ie people get shivers when I'm close or they freak out when I touch them (i've had a girl scream when i touched her on the shoulder to tell her something)

People don't like me walking behind them.

Its quite fun really.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Maybe you're just meeting creepy people who are freaked out to meet someone so normal.

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Wasn't there an episode of Seinfeld where there was a guy like that and Elaine made him carry Tic Tacs in his pocket so they could hear him coming? What did they call him? "The Sidler"?
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Nah, I just get told point black that I'm creepy. ie people get shivers when I'm close or they freak out when I touch them (i've had a girl scream when i touched her on the shoulder to tell her something)

Its quite fun really.
    u kinda do look creepy now u mention it...

We do not sow.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Usually if you enter someones 'safety zone', you know that invisible sphere around them that they feel safe in, especially quietly and/or quickly, that's a good way to wig them out. I know if it happened to me I would become quite uncomfortable. Epecially if they were as ugly and smelly as some of the people who post on these boards! Ha ha! :P :)
    Silence is beautiful

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I am definitely not one for breaking peoples safety zone, I don't like people standing behind me or I think they are going to slash my throat.

Plus I'm pretty sure I don't look/act creepy. And it's not like the people I know would be too polite to tell me, we used to joke about how one guy really looked like a serial killer.

I think it's more the fact people just don't know I'm there, then wham there's this guy wearing a clown mask and wielding a machete.

But really.... I don't know.

People in highschool often told me not to sneak up on them. Don't remember that happening on the street though, but then it wouldn't bother me anyway.

Once scared two girls at night when i walked behind them, once a woman ran away from me at night, I was just walking home from work, but well, it's not my fault that others are scared.

I wouldn't think too much about it

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I can only guess as to why this happens, and my best bet is that I move very quietly.
    I never make any sound in public, as a matter of common courtesy.

Or perhaps skip the common, much the rest of the world seems to think one should produce the decibel level of a Jumbo Jet taking off at all times. Raised voices, revved up motorcycles, yelling. Blech.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

I guess you could fake-cough or scuff your feet

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

When I was younger people would accuse me of sneaking up on them. I'm not sure why. Maybe I should have yelled "hail" as soon as I came within ten feet of them

I've startled a couple people while working, although with the 30 pounds or so of gear (some of it rather squeaky) and heavy boots I doubt any of them could claim my approach was too silent...

Do you tend to look people in the eyes rather than down at the ground as you walk down the street? That unnerves some people.
    Last edited by Zim; 05-01-2010 at 01:18.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

i look people in th eyes, and i always have a smirk according to everyone.

and im pretty extroverted and loud so i dont really surprise people often. i can be quiet though, or id be the worst hunter ever lol.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    u kinda do look creepy now u mention it...
    Yeah, its weird hey. You have to admit I didn't look as bad as Killfr3nzy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Just bat them baby blues and give em a big smile. Works for me.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	martyfeldman.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	636
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

Its quite fun really.
    If your asian, they'll applaud and say "Ninja"
    Strange world..

And they don't like it when I do it in Japan ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    If your asian, they'll applaud and say "Ninja"
    That's sarcasm, means you have failed to remain undetected

One thing I noticed, and I may be imagining it, but I notice that people (women esp) are most uncomfortable (and even sometimes afraid) around conservative looking white and Hispanic guys with big frames. They seem to be perfectly comfortable around black and Asian guys, but for some reason I think people think that they think they have something to fear from conservative looking Hispanic and white guys. I mean, there can be a guy with a million piercings and a spiked leather collar and a fishnet shirt walking by who looks like he is high, and it will not bother them, but they will be a little nervous and look behind them if there is a conservative looking (ie, button down shirt, or flannel, short hair, etc) guy behind them (esp if he has a large frame).
    I don't know, is that just my experience on or around campus, or is there really something to it?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Do you tend to look people in the eyes rather than down at the ground as you walk down the street? That unnerves some people.
    I keep my eyes firmly rooted to the ground pretty much all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    i can be quiet though, or id be the worst hunter ever lol.
    Maybe I'm going feral? I used to put my skills to catching wild rabbits with a bandinet, nobody else could get close to them.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 05-01-2010 at 13:56.

In my experience, I've had people cross the street when they see me walking towards them. Being 6'5" and with really wide shoulders I look like a Linebacker from a state like Tennessee or Texas. I have many friends who said when they first met me that they thought I was some type of bully or jerk just by how big and intimidating looking I was. I remember there was one time I was sitting at the bus stop waiting and a group of people got off the bus, they took one look at me and got back on.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

When large men are polite and considerate however, it can be quite comforting and pleaurable to the recipients of such respects.
    Silence is beautiful

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    One thing I noticed, and I may be imagining it, but I notice that people (women esp) are most uncomfortable (and even sometimes afraid) around conservative looking white and Hispanic guys with big frames. They seem to be perfectly comfortable around black and Asian guys, but for some reason I think people think that they think they have something to fear from conservative looking Hispanic and white guys. I mean, there can be a guy with a million piercings and a spiked leather collar and a fishnet shirt walking by who looks like he is high, and it will not bother them, but they will be a little nervous and look behind them if there is a conservative looking (ie, button down shirt, or flannel, short hair, etc) guy behind them (esp if he has a large frame).
    I don't know, is that just my experience on or around campus, or is there really something to it?
    conservative looking = frat boy . From what I've seen, you're observation holds true in and around campus but away from campus, blacks and alternatives freak women out way more.
    Last edited by woad&fangs; 05-01-2010 at 18:07.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I'm going to say it's just you
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I'm going to say it's just you
    Out of curiousity, do you attend a University?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Out of curiousity, do you attend a University?
    Yes

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Yes
    Maybe you are right then, or may things are just different in Texas than they are in the Midwest.

Maybe you are right then, or may things are just different in Texas than they are in the Midwest.

Unless there something in the water up there that makes docile blacks and asians while pumping the whites and hispanics full of murderous rage and test, I think you and your Mexican buddy are just staring at the cute chickadees

Strike beat me to it.

Unless there something in the water up there that makes docile blacks and asians while pumping the whites and hispanics full of murderous rage and test, I think you and your Mexican buddy are just staring at the cute chickadees
    ummmm...I never said that they had something to fear from large white and Hispanic men, simply that they seemed to be nervous around them. And I never said that I make people uncomfortable (though I do sometimes :P) and I assure you it has nothing to do with my inability to keep my eyes to myself.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I used to have exactly this problem, fortunately my palsey has deteriated, so now my limp is more pronounced.

That seems to have fixed it.

Hmmm.... Now I think of it, though, it also stopped around the time I became a serious Christian, which is also when people started routinely asking me for money in the street.

So, perhaps you just exude angst, rather than anything malevolent.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    So, perhaps you just exude angst, rather than anything malevolent.
    idk... A while back, I used to be very nervous in any social situation and didn't even like going outside, got pretty bad with it for a short time. I don't remember this happening back then though.

Now I am more relaxed, both with that and in general... but now this happens.

I think I maybe carry myself a bit differently now. Like with how you pointed out about the money, tramps etc used to ask me for money (the number of Rab C Nesbit characters around where I live these days is comical), and I would just react nervously, maybe they can tell if you're nervous and look like an easy target. But then I just started telling them to **** off, and now nobody bothers me at all.

Haha, even on the phone, one of my old friends didn't believe it was me at first, said I sounded gruff and nearly barked down the phone at him. Plus I always get mistaken for my father now rather than my brother.

I guess, now I think about it, I do feel these days like picking a fight and smacking someone in the face. Maybe this must be reflecting itself?

I don't know why I do this, I have a reputation for never getting angry or showing any emotion. It's not even a sense of rage or as if I might lose my temper, I just feel like taking up boxing or something...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast