Thread: Evgenij V. Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen'

Default Evgenij V. Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen'

While browsing through our university library I just stumbled upon this interesting title:

Černenko, Evgenij V., Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen (Prähistorische Bronzefunde III/2) , Stuttgart 2006 (ISBN: 3-515-08659-5) (GooglePreview)

This rather exhaustive catalogue of Scythian armor (down to the 3rd Century BC) seems to me interesting source material for the new Scythian/Greco-Scythian units of the Bosporan Kingdom (as long as the EB Team hasn't already finalized the unit concepts ;)). Unfortunately it's a German-language publication which seems to have no translated English edition.

Forgive me if this title has been brought up before :)

Caution - uncropped scans!

Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen' - pl.28/29 (3rd Century BC helmets; catalogue nos 588-599):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen' - p.88/90

Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen' - p.90/91 (corresponding catalogue entries)

Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen' - p.92/93 (corresponding catalogue entries)
    Last edited by Lvcretivs; 05-27-2010 at 22:52.

'...usque adeo res humanas vis abdita quaedam:opterit et pulchros fascis saevasque secures:proculcare ac ludibrio sibi habere videtur.' De rerum natura V, 1233ff.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Evgenij V. Černenko - 'Die Schutzwaffen der Skythen'

Im stunned.
    Its actually a historic book for university use, with lots of citations and statistics.
    Its publication was made able by money from a german state scientific govermnent agency. Thats all really impressive :)
    Still its a translation from a russian (ukrainian?) book, so you also get it in a russian version I suppose.

@seienchin
    Yeah, it's a pretty exhausting but interesting study of the subject matter - It struck me as probably useful for the EBII Team, because it contains statistic tables compiled from the actual archeological record, extensive cross-references and citations of otherwise hard-to-find Russian literature (illustrations,...) . By the way, Černenko is also the co-author of the probably better known Osprey title The Scythians 700-300BC and was, to quote the book, 'Leader of the Scythian Department of the Archeological Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR'.
    Concerning the language question - I'm sure there is a Ukrainian original, but was unable to find reliable bibliographical data ;) While I'm German myself and could - if need be - act as a translator, there are probably quite a few multilingual EBII members (oudysseos?) who are certainly more qualified than I am.
    Last edited by Lvcretivs; 05-16-2010 at 03:09.

'...usque adeo res humanas vis abdita quaedam:opterit et pulchros fascis saevasque secures:proculcare ac ludibrio sibi habere videtur.' De rerum natura V, 1233ff.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Hopefully this is an excellent find, btw Lvcretivs your English is excellent. Reading your posts I thought English was your first language, kudos my amigo.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    We love you Goku!

Oh, thank you ;)

The only real points which would be relevant to the EB team are a number of helmets (588-99) and some other scattered finds which date to the Hellenistic period. The vast majority of the finds assembled by Chernenko are 4th c. BC or earlier, and thus of no real use to a mod set after 272 BC. However, it is still a great book, and a fantastic resource to have.

@MeinPanzer
    You're absolutely correct - I browsed rather superficially through this title (My fault, I've a paper to write...) and greatly overestimated the relative scarce amount of finds dating to the late 4th/early 3rd Century. Nevertheless I'll proceed to collate Černenko's 3rd Century finds (helmets and 'kleinfunde') - hopefully there is material relevant for the EBII Team...;)
    Last edited by Lvcretivs; 05-16-2010 at 18:51.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvcretivs View Post
    'kleinfunde')
    anything more specific in regards to what that is? If I understand correctly, It means "small/little ?(find)? ", but my german is noobish
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-24-2010 at 01:52.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    anything more specific in regards to what that is? If I understand correctly, It means "small/little ?(find)? ", but my german is noobish
    That's pretty much it, small items that were unearthed by archaeologists.

General hint: you could always type words like this into "wikipedia.de" (or the corresponding one for a different language) and see what it comes up with. Then click on the English version of the site, provided there is one. (Google Translate doesn't work with these words).
    Last edited by athanaric; 05-24-2010 at 13:21.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    That's pretty much it, small items that were unearthed by archaeologists.

General hint: you could always type words like this into "wikipedia.de" (or the corresponding one for a different language) and see what it comes up with. Then click on the English version of the site, provided there is one. (Google Translate doesn't work with these words).
    I didn't use google translate-I took german last year. but thanks for the tip about the wikipedia.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    I took german last year.
    Which means you want to continue it. After all, what could be more important?

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.