Thread: Is there a point to building education buildings?

Default Is there a point to building education buildings?

Right now I am messing around with the Romans and am wondering what buildings like the ludi (schools) actually do. There is a lengthy description of the importance of education in Ancient Rome, but nothing describing their impact on game play. Should I assume that they are there to give young leaders beneficial traits or is there something else? Are they even worth building when there are other types of structures to worry about?

I have been playing this on and off for awhile so I am still unsure about many aspects in the game.

Right now it is about the time of the First Punic War and instead of crushing Carthage, I am attempting to campaign against Epirus and hoping that my victories will not merely be Pyrrhic
    cogito ergo tigris sum.

Default Re: Is there a point to building education buildings?

Schools give your FMs very nice traits indeed. They are worth it, but not top priority.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Schools are imo one of the most important buildings in EB. Before you start building them, your governers will be mostly poor uneducated saps. After building them, especially the highest ones, you will see more learned governers with higher management ratings. This can lead to thousands in extra mnai per turn. Also, many ancillaries are unavailable until schools are built.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Education buildings are very useful once built. As soon as a FM comes of age; throw them into a city with another govener (who is significantly better than them in terms of management and influence) so rather than the young FM managing the city. This allows the younger FM to 'do an apprenticeship' and gain useful education traits. I normally keep 16 FMs in a city for 4 years then move them off to army or another city.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

schools, give your FMs, Diplomats, More Positive Managing Traits,
    example:
    Scholar (+Management/Influence)
    Scholar-Retainer
    Diplomatic Traits
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

Yes - schools give good traits to your FMs - I would also suggest to build them in places famous for Education (especially Athens - all the Makedon FMs I'm sending there always come back as philosophers or the like) since some unique anciliaries are bound to those cities (If I remember right).

On a side note however: If you need military oriented FMs then don't send them in citites with high education buildings - they tend to lack anything needed to lead your armies. If you want good generals then just build a tier 1 level school building in the city and a temple decicated to your factions war god - ususally this makes them better beginning generals.
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 05-21-2010 at 10:12. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

Remember also that there is such a thing as "too much education" where sending 16 Year old FM's to good towns/cities results in them getting loaded up with ancilliaries you don't want and can't remove because everyone is at maximum. Ynys Mon is particularly "good" at this.

Just find one of his inept cousins, transfer them to him and send him out hunting pirates in leaky boats or holding a fort alone far behind enemy lines.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

And there is a "too much education" trait as well. It is the Scholar trait, you want to get your governor as soon as possible out of a town with a school if he is Scholastic. If he has reached the last level(Pedantic) leave him to govern the city, so that you do not need to destroy the school.

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hmmm.............
    I guess that explains it
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

"Too Much education"? That new to me.
    Does this means that if every one of my city got a school, then every one of mine governor is going to be scholastics? O.o

It is such a shame the morale bonuses do not work for temples. It is not EB's fault but it is the one sore thumb sticking out both for unit power and for FM trait development which are massive aspects of this game.

Another point regarding schools/education buildings:

If you have a particularly nasty settlement in terms of public order, then building a school while you govern with an FM will usually ensure he develops useful rather than destructive traits. If I have a settlement I cannot easilly control through buildings and garrison then I send in an FM like all would do, but I then make a point of building a school/education building and consider knocking down taverns or refusing to build taverns untill things really settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeos View Post
    "Too Much education"? That new to me.
    Does this means that if every one of my city got a school, then every one of mine governor is going to be scholastics? O.o
    If your settlements are all highly developed, it can be difficult to control the development of large numbers of poor traits. FM members can become greedy, lazy, obnoxious and full of themselves if they spend their formative years in a lavish and oppulant Rome for example.
    Last edited by SFraser; 05-21-2010 at 12:50.

No. Usually in the town with a school of first level, i think, he will not even become Scholastic unless you keep him there for the whole life. This is why you do not place academies everywhere, considering what enormous benefits you could gain from them at Vanilla.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

And you should consider your fm characteristic as well, a sharp and vigorous guy wont easy to take scholastic trait, they will got tactician and strategist instead, while sharp and langurous guy will spent his life by just reading books, and his only physical activity is perhaps jerking under the table when he read some erotic poetry. Dull and vigorous will skip school and become uneducated, but practical brats, and dull langurous, if uncharismatic, will took many2 useless bad traits.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

No. Usually in the town with a school of first level, i think, he will not even become Scholastic unless you keep him there for the whole life.
    I have the tendency to make my general do just that, especially a general who is married into the family..... :P

This is why you do not place academies everywhere, considering what enormous benefits you could gain from them at Vanilla.
    Haha... Now I be careful with where i put last tier academy.....

And never-ever build taverns. Drunkards neither govern nor command very well. The Augurs of Rome is the same building slot and might have the same effect, I am unsure of that though.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I m sure you should try to got several drunken sweboz generals, yes, drunkard traits is bad on itself, but think it as two bladed swords, you'll also got berserkergang traits (good for aggresive fm), berserker ancillaries, easier to got good attacker as well, and with berserk + attack, your fm will rake a top notch of command when attack, with that, good stars will grow more and more as long as you kept him on the field. (but dont blame me if people instantly turned red when such men rule ANY cities, but he'll be perfect for exterminating Romans Greeks and Celts in the way worthy of Valhalla.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Mine are too busy fighting to drink. gets them loads of War traits and anxilliaries as well, but then they are useful. Not sitting in city, but fighting on till the day they die or get very old.

My question though is, will having a father in a city with a school, library, or similar building cause his sons to come of age as intelligent? Or can I assume that they are only blank canvasses to be developed as I choose.
    cogito ergo tigris sum.

In my Pahlava campaign, FM that stay in cities with Academy especially around Mesoptamia will get Ascetic trait, then get Ascetic ancillary.... that make them -1 influence and 20% reduce in bribing cost......

Ahh, this reminds me of the classical battle between nerds and street-smarts.
    for Being Anti-Romaioktonoi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger88 View Post
    My question though is, will having a father in a city with a school, library, or similar building cause his sons to come of age as intelligent? Or can I assume that they are only blank canvasses to be developed as I choose.
    Sons often inherits the father's traits, unless of course you get a "Not like his father" Where the S/C/V 10 cmd, man, infl, prolific Consul gets a lazy, ugly, dumb-as-a-door son who faints at the sight of blood and is a homo (makes you wonder what Domina is doing with the slaves while Princeps Senatus is out waging war on the enemies of The Republic).

Whatever you get, it is yours to imprint new traits on through temples, schools and war.

Remember also that you can use bad FMs to transfer bad anxiliaeries of Good FMs to and the other way round (a bad FM in Syracuse might get Archimedes, transfer him to somebody competent and give the evil mother in law back), then send the incompetent out on merchants' ships to hunt pirates.

It makes me wonder...how could mothers-in-law be traded around??
    for Being Anti-Romaioktonoi.

Quote Originally Posted by pikeman View Post
    It makes me wonder...how could mothers-in-law be traded around??
    lol
    I imagine "mother-in-law" as a tool, can be traded for better mothers. ^^

Well, just roleplaying that the FM divorced his wife and kick out the mother-in-law from the court....