Thread: EB and Persophilia

Default EB and Persophilia

First of all, I'd like to say that the EB team did an exceedingly awesome job with all of the factions and I enjoyed testing out each and every single one. I can also tell you that this mod broadened my knowledge of the Classical Period (to the point that I consider myself an expert among my peers ) , but this mod also inspired a new found love of Persians.

No no, I'm not wooing Iranian women exclusively, but rather an admiration of their culture and history. Most of my prior knowledge of Persia was of their failed attempts of Greek subjugation and Leonidas and all that jazz, but now I'm realizing the wealth of culture and history that the Achaemenids cultivated.

I try to humbly recreate the Persian Empire with the Pontics, Hai, and Parthians, but I always seem to get bored when I reach more than 20 provinces and the micromanaging reaches colossal proportions. Any other Persophiles around here?
    Ruskie magazin!

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

Default Re: EB and Persophilia

I'm more into the Sassanids personally, but my Persophilia is great too.
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

Hallooooo!! is someone there? Member J.R.M's Avatar

Even though im not an expert, i like persian culture and i love those factions but specially Phalava.
    The only problem i got with this factions is the enormous amount of phalanx based armies your gonna fight., sometime between 230-210 bc it gets kinda boring, but not much.

Ahora mas que nunca, FUERZA CABROS!! ¡Viva Chile! Thrash till Death!

I regard myself as a Parsophile as well, I love the Achaemenid and Parthian periods, as well as the post-Islamic government of Persia. It's a remarkable culture, and yet so unfamiliar to the west.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I've always found the Persian culture very interesting, however not much of my best field, I always like to learn about it. I am currently reading Barbarians by Terry Jones and I am considering to read Ancient Persia by Josef Wiesehofer next. The Seleukid occupation is also a great point of interest for me.

I also made kinda a Great Pont-Persian Empire.
    Have a look:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    I've always found the Persian culture very interesting, however not much of my best field, I always like to learn about it. I am currently reading Barbarians by Terry Jones and I am considering to read Ancient Persia by Josef Wiesehofer next. The Seleukid occupation is also a great point of interest for me.
    The book by Wiesehöfer is a really good read. Though he is awfully short on the Seleukid period there. Next semester I'll hopefully be attending one of his lectures

EB is the biggest reason why I took up learning Persian.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

ThePersianCataphract beats you all ;)
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

@Macilrille

With a name like that, I can only imagine. :P

@Fluvius

Awesome empire! I don't play Pontos that much because they're too reliant on phalanxes and they're more Hellen than Persian, but I always like custom battling with them on a rainy day.
    Ruskie magazin!

I think if he was active, he would be happy to see others love Persia.

I am no Perseophilos, but it is an old, rich and proud culture.

Friends on Facebook will also notice my profile picture, but to discuss that would derail the thread.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Albath View Post
    @Macilrille

With a name like that, I can only imagine. :P

@Fluvius

Awesome empire! I don't play Pontos that much because they're too reliant on phalanxes and they're more Hellen than Persian, but I always like custom battling with them on a rainy day.

Well only the Pahalav are ethnicaly close to Persians.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

I don't consider myself a personphile, but seriously, Cataphracts = win.

that, and it's a rich culture.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    I don't consider myself a personphile, but seriously, Cataphracts = win.

that, and it's a rich culture.
    Yeah.... but mostly Cataphracts = win. No more needs to be said :) Once you field the Grinpavar, it's love at first sight...

But on a more serious note, the Persian civilization is definetly one of the richest and most important of all cultures that evolved in this world... To bad many people don't know it, since this day Iran isn't really in a good light in the western world...
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

I've always had a great respect for the various cultures of the middle east, especially the Persian empire and its various successors.
    I have a pair of really good books about the early days of the Persian and Parthian empires. The second one of those covered the Seleucids' attempts (and failure) at destroying Parthia rather well.
    Parthian Nationalist

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zradha Pahlavan View Post
    I've always had a great respect for the various cultures of the middle east, especially the Persian empire and its various successors.
    I have a pair of really good books about the early days of the Persian and Parthian empires. The second one of those covered the Seleucids' attempts (and failure) at destroying Parthia rather well.
    Hmm tell me more, which books?

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Parthian Cataphract #03452 Member Zradha Pahlavan's Avatar
    Susa, near the left wing of the royal palace.

I think this is it.
    (click me)
    I never realized just how old this thing was.
    The Fifth Oriental Monarchy is the one about Persia, as you may have guessed.
    Last edited by Zradha Pahlavan; 05-27-2010 at 19:20.
    Parthian Nationalist

I have the pleasure to teach English to many Iranian students. They are always polite and intelligent with great charisma.
    Dismayed that the general has fled the battlefield
    Distraught at the number of enemies
    Intimidated by nearby enemy

I liked their gardens. ^_^