Poll: Who will you be supporting in the Final & 3rd place play-off?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The unofficial World Cup Thread,

Default The unofficial World Cup Thread,

Go on. You know you want to.

England for teh win.

Next!

:o)
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: The unofficial World Cup Thread,

Ooooh I'm so excited!

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Default Re: The unofficial World Cup Thread,

Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Albiol, Iniesta, David Silva, Xavi, Fabregas, Torres and David Villa have got it in the bag, methinks.

I haven't fancied England's chances in a football tournament since 1998; I'd love it to happen, but I just don't see it.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say:

Spain - but might collapse under pressure
    Brazil - duh
    Italy - god forbid
    Germany - tournament players par excellence, even when they are bad, they make it to final
    England - why not, eh? Capello's got his act together
    Serbia - surprise package

France is really just waiting for Blanc to take over. The ref will finish the blues off in the last group match against the home country.
    Argentina's players are second to few, but they are coached by the Nose of Coke, El Diego. who managed to not select half of Inter's side.

Portugal and Holland for dangerous outsider.
    Not everything

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I'll reserve my statement of Portugal's probability or not to go far, after the next friendly with Cameroon, a few days from now.
    BLARGH!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

USA. And we still won't care.

In all seriousness though, I'd like to see Argentina go far because their coach is apparently legally insane. That'll make for some interesting news fodder. And maybe England, because I feel sorry for them.

For the non-clueless followers of the sport, does Mexico have any shot? Or did they only stomp us last year because the game was in Azteca?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Dunga will win it for Brazil. The man's a tactical and defensive whiz.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Or did they only stomp us last year because the game was in Azteca?

I don't think Mexico will make it out of the groups. South Africa will get the calls as the host nation, so Mexico has to beat out France and Uruguay for the other group spot. Not promising. Skill-wise, I'd put Mexico a little behind the US (all other things being equal). Azteca is a huge advantage, at a neutral site they won't intimidate the refs, won't have the altitude, and won't have the battery fire from the stands.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post

I don't think Mexico will make it out of the groups. South Africa will get the calls as the host nation, so Mexico has to beat out France and Uruguay for the other group spot. Not promising. Skill-wise, I'd put Mexico a little behind the US (all other things being equal). Azteca is a huge advantage, at a neutral site they won't intimidate the refs, won't have the altitude, and won't have the battery fire from the stands.
    It'll be tight, tight, tight. None of the teams have really impressed. Uruguay and France have both struggled, Mexico play some good stuff but are profligate.
    #Hillary4prism

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

We bring a pretty good team, defense is weak but we have plenty of offensive power.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

COME ON YOU ENGLAND!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

If there is a team I hate more than England it would be Mexico.

Heres to them losing in group.....You bloody wankers
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Albiol, Iniesta, David Silva, Xavi, Fabregas, Torres and David Villa have got it in the bag, methinks.

I haven't fancied England's chances in a football tournament since 1998; I'd love it to happen, but I just don't see it.
    Agreed on Spain but I think England's chances are quite good, too. I positively loathed how English team was hyped by media and fans prior to earlier tournaments, when it was clear to anyone that there is just not enough quality to do anything. This time round, England has a good side overall with a few world-class players and a coach with strong personality who can actually mold them into a team (arguably, that's what England lacked the most). Quite the opposite now, media and fans are cautious and team is actually capable of achieving something big.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    If there is a team I hate more than England it would be Mexico.

Heres to them losing in group.....You bloody
    Those who want to know......hehe
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get the feeling Australia won't get any further than last time.

Go Brazil.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Ze predictions of Ze Mitey LEN World Cup '10 will be following shortly after ze actual squads of 23 players are declared by ze 1st of June.

I'll draw up groups, qualifiers, ze finals and ze winner.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention... And it'll happen that way.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 05-29-2010 at 07:56.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Spain or Brazil are my favourites, then the likes of England, Italy, Germany and Argentina could pull something out, England seem in the best form out of the 4 but Italy and Germany just excel in tournements (usually) and the Argentinians have some class players despite bad form. Outside of that I see the Portuguese and the French as long shots, im unsure on the dutch they remind me of England slightly seem to usually fall at the later stages. I would be surprised if someone I didn't mention above even made it to the semis so i can't see any of the others as potential winners
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

We just insist on letting the world know that we can beat everyone.

Only to don't.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Brazil: as always a strong team, yet not such a strong team for being brazil. Surprisingly not one of my favourites. A lot will depend of Kaka and how Robinho will play. Though they are in great form and have done great I think one of the other big powers of football will defeat them.
    Italy: They always have a good defence and never leave holes. However for getting all the way they lack attacking power imo. Buffon and De rossi might get them there after all.

Argentina: I'm not convinced by the amount of depth the team has except for the front. They probably have the best offense of the world on paper (Messi, Higuain, Tevez, Aguero and Milito) and that might just do it. Messi can win games on his own sometimes and with the help of Milito, Tevez & co conceding some goals might not be such a problem.

Uruguay: A good squad that might surprise some other teams, with Forlan and Suarez they have two great and natural goalgetters. Second place in group A is something I can see them pull off. Who knows with a bit of luck they can even win a game after the groupfase.

Paraguay: Not a bad team, but I'd be surprised if they really get far. Probably a battle with Slovakia for second place in group F.

VS: For some reason a team that always gets underrated. Now I'd be surprised if they'd won the final, but I see them getting second place in their group and even possibly with some luck steal Englands 'logical' first place. They have a great goalkeeper some great rising talents (Torres, Altidore and Bradley) However their defense seems rather weak to me and will have to rely heavily on a perfect organisation, as they are lacking great players there. Key to defence I expect should be Onyewu, though he lacks much match practice after his lenghty injury. Donovan will be their keyplayer I'd expect.

France: Don't have any weak spots/players but are in a very long weak form. Barely made it and morally didn't even deserve it. Their main problem I think will be a lack in motivation, a too old and not too convincing attack. I wouldn't put having Domenech as the manager with the positive points. However the individual class of the players is big, Ribery is always a pain to play against and Anelka and Henry though not as fast as they used to be remain great forwards. Key here will be the motivation and a will to attack and counter agressively.

Germany: The ultimate tournament team and with Germans it doesn't matter how big your lead is, you're not sure you've won untill the final wistle is blown. Good overall team, though they miss that one true great player. Keymen will be Lahm and Gomez I'd say. I'm very curious to see Kroos and Müller which are some big talents on the rise.

England: They have some great players, a great midfield and except for one sport a good defense as well. However if you need to play teams like Spain, Brazil and Argentina everything has to work back there. And I have the feeling England will be able to cope such offensive powers. Their offense is mainly one man, Rooney, and while he's a great forward. But can he rather on his own he can prove to be enough to score enough goals to get really far?

Portugal: There are some really big guns in the team but a lot of it is mediocore. If they can football as a team they might pull it off and someone like Ronaldo can even get past the best defenses yet I think they will not get to play nor win the final.

Spain: If there's something that will keep them from winning this it'd mental or motivational problems, injuries but mainly hybris. The team almost soley consist out of stars. And we all remember the last big tournament.

Netherlands: talking about the last great tournament, if there's one team that amazed us and played very nice footbal except for Spain, it was the Netherlands. Sadly they didn't came far. They still have the same strengths a formidable attacking force (if you can leave people like van nisterooy at home...) but a weak to mediocore defense. The Netherlands remind me a bit of the Arsenal of the last years. Always beautifull football, great offensive players, but just not enough to take the big prizes in the end. Keyman will be Sneijder with van Persie as a good substitution for his inter teammate milito.

Greece and Denmark: might surprise if they can form a strong, motivated and organised collective. Having survived the European qualification groups they are always something to watch out for.

Slovakia, Slovenia and Serbia: Eastern Europe is steadily growing for years now in the footbal world. They might surprise like Croatia has done in the past.

Ivory Coast: Africa has some great footballers but most countries lack a full squad of great footballers who play in strong clubs from strong competitions. Thier actions and dribbling can amaze the most sceptical of men and inspire the smallest of children. Yet organisation, concentration and teamplay is smething they often seem to lack. Ivory coast might be the exception when it comes to this. They have a great selection of players who are have enough experience on such a high level. Ofcourse having Drogba as a foward doesn't hurt your chances either.

South Korea & Japan: They have proven it in the past, while they don't have teams full of stars they can surprise stronger teams and can form a good team that can go further than one would think at first. It'd surprise me a lot though if none of European or South American giants can kick their but out of their favourite tournament.

Australia: Kangeroos have big feet.
    Last edited by Moros; 05-30-2010 at 00:14.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Japanese fans has no doubt the team will lose all three games... Our manager havn't been sacked despite the poor performance in the last few games (actually from the very start).
    But we'll still support them. Its once every four years...

For the sake of Asians, I support the Socceroos and South Koreans. I hope they do well, but my moneys on England, Spain, Brazil and.... Netherlands. One of those four should get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

That post makes me feel sad.

Meh, unless you're born in Brazil, Italy or Germany, you are not ensured you will your team win it sooner or later. Even in medium powers, you probably just get to see it once in your lifetime. Spain has never been world champion. A world cup is very much a closed shop.

It's not true that there is one winner and 31 disappointed countries. That's too negative. With some luck, your team playes a few good games and then goes out against somebody whio's simply stronger. That is a good tournament. Plus you get to watch all the other teams, share in the excitement, pick some favourites.

It's all exciting, who cares if you win or not, or go out after three games or not. As long as you're not too rubbish, you'll live.
    Not everything

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post

COME ON YOU ENGLAND!
    Now I've seen everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post

England always do well, just not well enough.

Now I need to take a lie down to recover from Rhy's outburst.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Last time a family tragedy of one of the players took out the joy, they absolutely destroyed Italy earlier. Enjoy your cup, had we let Romania win they would have been finito. We have a more offensive team then ever, if we get to dictate the pace down=you

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    It's not true that there is one winner and 31 disappointed countries. That's too negative. With some luck, your team playes a few good games and then goes out against somebody whio's simply stronger. That is a good tournament. Plus you get to watch all the other teams, share in the excitement, pick some favourites.

It's all exciting, who cares if you win or not, or go out after three games or not. As long as you're not too rubbish, you'll live.
    #Hillary4prism

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Japan vs England test match friendly

1-2

Bad day for England. They suffered a early goal against and the two goals they managed to take was own goal.
    I still love you England

And pretty good effort by Japan. Just do what you did tonight and you might make it through

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Today's friendly is another reason to be concerned in my book. Considering the calibre of some of our defenders it really is inexcusable that in today's game and in the various qualifiers leading up to the world cup our defence has been simply embarrassing. Players failing to mark their man and a lack of basic coordination is just the tip of it.

Personally I don't think we have the players or the form to go that far. If we make the semi-finals I'll consider it a good tournament. After all, this team isn't as good as the one from 2002 or even 2006. Our strike force is basically Rooney and lets not kid ourselves; whilst Crouch is arguably a good performer in the international game, he isn't exactly a Messi is he? After all, you only need to look at his league form to see this.

The fact Charragher has been brought out of retirement (considering his and Liverpool's form this season) and Capelo even wanted to bring Scholes back, who was always awful for England, it seems to be were not even capable of filling a squad full of players worth their ridiculous premiership pay checks for the World Cup.

Then again, maybe I'm just a pessimist..
    Last edited by tibilicus; 05-30-2010 at 17:48.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Now I need to take a lie down to recover from Rhy's outburst.
    Haha, I always supported England to lose. But we were talking about this issue in my history class, and the lecturer pointed out that English fans supported Scotland when England didn't make it to the WC in the 70's, so I've decided to support England, mostly to troll my parents that are Scottish nationalists...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

It's true, in 1978 I supported Scotland. I should have known better! They lose to Iran in the first game.

Yes, I was wondering what was up with some Scot rooting for 'the enemy'.

'ere you go, mate:

Not everything

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast