Thread: Numantia Defender

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Numantia Defender

I tried doing a search for this but didn't have much luck. In one of my recent games AI Carthage was unlucky enough to accidentally attract the scripted defender of Numantia to one of their settlements. They slowly whittled the army down (which eventually became leaderless when the general died of old age. Now I'm sieging Numantia but after a couple turns no respawn of the defender.

Does anyone know if Numantia's defender doesn't respawn? With all the other settlements with scripted defenders they seem to come back the turn after being killed.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Default Re: Numantia Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I tried doing a search for this but didn't have much luck. In one of my recent games AI Carthage was unlucky enough to accidentally attract the scripted defender of Numantia to one of their settlements. They slowly whittled the army down (which eventually became leaderless when the general died of old age. Now I'm sieging Numantia but after a couple turns no respawn of the defender.

Does anyone know if Numantia's defender doesn't respawn? With all the other settlements with scripted defenders they seem to come back the turn after being killed.
    I thought that the EB team made scripted defenders only in Central-Europe to prevent Rome to zerg toward north.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

There are a couple in the Baltic as well. Numantia is the last one I'm aware of, although I don't encounter that one often since usually the AI has gotten the settlement before I make it there...

Quote Originally Posted by Apázlinemjó View Post
    I thought that the EB team made scripted defenders only in Central-Europe to prevent Rome to zerg toward north.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

No it was to stop the Sweboz from slaughtering the Getai.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post

~Fluvius
    No. it was to stop the Sweboz from slaughtering everybody... XD
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

I think I'll just not worry about it and consider myself lucky if I don't have to fight him. ~

Didn't stop them for long, they border me since last turn in my Bosporan campaign... (I play on VH you know what that means for my alliance with rome...)

I'm quite sure that the defender of Numantia doesn't respawn. It seems he got defeated by the Lusos in most of my campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post

~Fluvius
    I think the Central-Europeans are for Rome instead, Sweboz can't pump out so much full stacks so fast. However I forgot that there are scripted defenders at the Baltic Sea too, well they are obviously there to prevent Sweboz to get to east too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahl View Post
    Didn't stop them for long, they border me since last turn in my Bosporan campaign... (I play on VH you know what that means for my alliance with rome...)
    Well they wouldn't last forever of course, the more you advance in time, the less eleutheroi territories there will be, which leads to more wars against the AI factions.
    Last edited by Apázlinemjó; 05-31-2010 at 08:59.

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I think the Central-Europeans are for Rome instead, Sweboz can't pump out so much full stacks so fast. However I forgot that there are scripted defenders at the Baltic Sea too, well they are obviously there to prevent Sweboz to get to east too much.
    As I said earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    [..]
    * Altered the Eburonum roving generals entrance turn to stop the Sweboz blitz. He now enters turn 49.
    [..]
    ~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

I see.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I Wonder if the scripted defender is effective or not, for many times, I see Diazenis leave his town when besieged by Sweboz....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

The defenders respawn?
    That explains a lot.

As the romans, i had a mighty empire: i've vanquished the Gauls, the Lussottanan, the Qarthadasim and have various other holdings like Cyrene and Kydonia.
    Then the Sweboz started raiding Gaul, so i had to fight them with whatever auxiliares and mercenaries i could muster in the region, with mixed results and horrible casualties for both sides. I tried sending a fresh legion from Italy to Germania through Iuvavoaeta. Alas, I ran into Satres, an Eleutheroi general with more command stars than fit the screen, a full stack of alpine infantry with gold chevrons, and a supporting half stack of gold chevrons. I lost the entire legion in a single battle, but inflicted about 1,000 casualties on the Eleutheroi and killed the mighty Satres.

Seeing this, i shipped my 3 elite legions from North Africa (they had just taken Cyrene from the Seleukids, and got a peace treaty), all across the Mediterranean into Patavium, in order to punish the Sweboz. I also sent a Syrakusan army (Greek client-state) for support.
    Since Satres was dead and his army weakened, i decided, again, to head straight north and hit the Sweboz from the south, through Iuvavoaeta.
    And... yet again, there he stands! With another full stack. His previous army is defending Iuvovaeta. The supporting half stack is roaming the region.
    The Syrakusan army was obliterated. I lost 2 legions killing the supporting army.
    Now i have parity of troops with Satres... But haven't made it to Germania, yet. My greatest Roman General is about to face him (vanquisher of the Qarthadasim and of the Lussotannan).
    Meanwhile,the Germans are killing my brave Gaulish slav...(cough cough)...auxilia by the hundreds and making progress into my holdings.
    The Ptolemaioi declared war and besieged my just-conquered-Cyrene.
    The Koinon Hellenon and the Epirotes cancelled their alliance with me (they were allied to the Ptolemaioi).
    The Getai attacked me in Illyria.
    And i went from 300,000 mnai to 120,000 in less than 8 years.

Damn you Satres!!!!!!oneoneone
    He is immortal! Trains troops instantly and into elite-ness (?)!!!
    If the Numantia defender doesn't respawn, the Lusotannan and the Qarthadasim must thank their gods!
    Last edited by Gabicho; 06-03-2010 at 18:58.
    When God said "Let light be made!", Marx answered: "Say please."

I use this avatar not because i'm persian. But because i have a pink pijama.

I decided to put off taking Numantia for a while to see if he would respawn. Sure enough, when I resieged it some turns later, the defender attacked me.

He's not as frightening as the Central European defenders, though, and Numantia's garrison was small. I beat him with a single mixed stack, heavy on the lighter troops.