Thread: making units universal

Question making units universal

hi im new to the org. or at least in making my account i mostly am just a lurker :D but i really need help. so in the vanilla rtw if u used the create_unit cheat and gave urself say a germanic unit as a roman u have no ui card but u can use them on battle. well i was wondering how do i go about doing this for EB? i want to use certain units for RP reasons by say using germanic units against germans as audei as i have one of their settlements and want to force them to kill each other. but if i spawn a unit and fight a battle i get exited out game with error such as "cant find blah blah texture". i thought lets just use random unit and picked hetairoi kataphraktoi but it says cant find arman something texture. i looked like in all folders and dont see anything that says eb_unit arman. plz help i was wondering if i can just make one giant pool of the textures instead of seperate folders but it has done me no good.
    Last edited by moisesjns; 06-01-2010 at 01:12.

Default Re: making units universal

The create_unit console command was rendered invalid upon installation of your EB. To solve uninstall EB and have a clean install of RTW to use the console command create_unit.

really? it works perfectly when i use it though for my faction units. is it that maybe the seperate folders for units such as hellenistic and eastern made the create unit void of all possible chance to create units from other factions to other factions?

sigh it cant be true because i somehow managed to get spartans to roman faction through cheat and after much and i mean MUCH trial and error i got it to work perfectly.

but if it really cant be fixed i guess ill just leave it alone :(

Quote Originally Posted by Hroth View Post
    The create_unit console command was rendered invalid upon installation of your EB. To solve uninstall EB and have a clean install of RTW to use the console command create_unit.
    Stop trolling!

You make some serious posts, but often also post complete spam. Why are you now trying to let this guy go through the trouble of uninstalling EB and reinstalling RTW?

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    really? it works perfectly when i use it though for my faction units. is it that maybe the seperate folders for units such as hellenistic and eastern made the create unit void of all possible chance to create units from other factions to other factions?

sigh it cant be true because i somehow managed to get spartans to roman faction through cheat and after much and i mean MUCH trial and error i got it to work perfectly.

but if it really cant be fixed i guess ill just leave it alone :(
    The create_unit cheats works perfectly with EB, but a number of units use the same skeleton and if you have two such units in the same battle = CTD.
    And you'll have to use the internal name of the unit, which is sometimes completely different from the in-game name.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 06-01-2010 at 15:57.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    The create_unit cheats works perfectly with EB, but a number of units use the same skeleton and if you have two such units in the same battle = CTD.
    I am pretty sure skeletons can be shared. It's models that are the problem. The engine allows only a limited number of models, so in order to maximize the number of unit types the EB team uses models as often as possible. Unfortunately a faction can have only two unit types with the same model (one normal, one mercenary), so many units cannot be shared without removing others.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Yes, the models, of course.
    I didn't know exactly, I just knew that there was something that caused those crashes that had to do with a certain limitation with the RTW units and the fact that EB almost uses the max number of units, including the possiblities created by using the mercenary trick.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

oh ok well thanks then i dont know how i managed to get the spartans to work for roman faction. i remember i renamed somethings after i copied them but im not 100% sure what they where. well then i guess nothing i can do about it ;( oh well

btw whats this mercenary trick u speak of? ty for helping

Blog Entries

btw whats this mercenary trick u speak of? ty for helping
    The R:TW engine will allow to different unit types to share the same model provided one of them is designated as a mercenary in the export_descr_unit.txt. If it wasn't for this trick, a faction would be limited to one unit per model.

wait a second...so if i make a unit a mercenary does that mean i can use him as a unit for one more faction through the create unit cheat?

Blog Entries

wait a second...so if i make a unit a mercenary does that mean i can use him as a unit for one more faction through the create unit cheat?
    To be precise: it means the unit can use a model that is already used by another non-mercenary unit of that faction. However, the EB team is aware of this trick so most factions have already two units for every model in use.

so if i make a unit a mercenary i can use it's model but now my problem is that the game says cant find texture "Hetairoi Kataphraktoi 256 .psd'. " i dont see anything with that name :( ill try and copy a file and rename. ty for the help really lol it means aa lot.

well renaming it did nothing any more help?
    Last edited by moisesjns; 06-02-2010 at 23:41.

shouldn't it be possible to give the aedui germanic units they can train, like celto-germanic spearmen and regional recruited units?

this would limit the troop selection a bit but it's better than nothing.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

i understand that but i was wondering how to add certain units to other factions. its ok i am glad i know about mercenary trick i just have to figure out this texture problem as i dont see anything that says hetairoi kataphraktoi 256.psd lol i have renamed a file and it still wont find it. ill keep trying