Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Africa

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default South Africa

What can you tell me about this country?

What can you tell me about visiting this country?

What can you tell me about the wimmens?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Default Re: South Africa

I hear the weather's great and as a Dutch speaker I <3 Afrikaners
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Ok SFTS. Most of my family lives out there, and my father was born there --- the run down.

- Beautiful, yet troubled place. Many refugees, much inequality, much violence and plenty of crime.

- Visiting? No. Unless you know the country well I would not advise it at all. Highly likely you will get mugged or worse. Do not travel on public transport. Drive only. Lock your car when driving. Do not walk the streets. Do not display valuables. Visit touristy places only. Do not go to anywhere other than Cape Town or the Kruger National Park. DO NOT go to Jo-berg.

- Women? Hot, but impossible to meet.

Any locals want to dispell my fears please do so. However, as a descendant of a British Seth Efricken and a British Nambian I feel it is my duty to warn tourists of the dangers.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Awesome, if troubled/doomed.

Go now! There are countries out there so pretty they beat France and almost rival Texas.

I dated one.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    I dated one.
    Same:

#Hillary4prism

On Psychonaut's advice: I visited Jo-berg. I was brutally slashed up and mugged by two guys with giant knifes, with five hundred onlookers not doing a thing. I am afraid my impression is that South Africa indeed is every bit as dangerous as people say it is. (It's almost as bad as North Paris. I might follow you one day to your Australian hide-out.)

So yes, do take every bit of advice you get seriously. SA is not merely criminal, it is violent. Men get their belongings stolen, then get to see what a knife looks like up close. Then afterwards everybody will look at you at amazed, in utter disbelief: 'how on earth did you let you off? Why were you not murdered? How come you only have minor cuts?'
    Women for their part don't get their purse snatched, they get snatched themselves and gang-raped.

I was at the police station after I got mugged. The sights there...
    Some poor woman sat opposite me, who was just brutally raped, and looked it. In a complete state. She was screaming in the waiting room. Cops were barely interested, they could barely cope with all the other people, most of them bleeding. She was just another statistic.

What a war zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Same:

Was her name by any chance 'Tracy' and did she study at Grahamstown?

Would be awesome if its the same girl.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 02-13-2010 at 19:57.
    Not everything

Your post may be light-hearted Loius, but this is no laughing matter. Please STFS do not take South Africa lightly. My Grandmother was mudered by violent gangs, and the police there are too corrupt to be any use. So if you are truly considering going there, please please please be careful and aware of the dangers.

On a less intense note.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Was her name by any chance 'Tracy' and did she study at Grahamstown?
    No. Out of curiosity was she an Afrikaner or a African-Brit?
    Last edited by naut; 02-13-2010 at 20:21.
    #Hillary4prism

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's aweseome, avoid a few places, but you don't really have to. Never went there myself but two friends of mine, both bleeding hot blondettes, had zero problems in the edgy parts. Stupid bimbo's were looking for weed, good thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Out of curiosity was she an Afrikaner or a African-Brit?
    Of thoroughbred 1820's settler stock, Eastern Cape, and smoking hot.

(My post was serious...)
    Not everything

Would it be worse than Latin America? I've lived there (Honduras) and it wasn't that bad. Surely a richer country like South Africa can't be worse?

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

theres a reason so many mercenaries emerge from this country. beautiful though.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Dude, If you are thinking of going there as a part of one of your Baptist outings, don't. Missionaries and the like are huge targets, and I know of 2 groups in Norman alone who went, got robbed and their interpreters/guides kidnapped and killed.

On the other hand, if you are going to go as part of a hunting group with very large guns, or if you are paying a mercenary entertained to take you there to shoot militia, then by all means go. That would be fun.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Interesting how two of our biggest sporting events are going to be held in rather questionable locales. Rio is 10% glamour and 90% slum of varying degrees. And we are learning quite a bit about South Africa right here in this thread.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

There's a reason why all the people with money live in gated communities, it isn't simple prejudice..

Doesn't really help either when the so called "mother of your country" is Winnie "I kill children" Mandela..

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by LVI
    Me, I think that everybody ought to see Africa at least once. Africa is in your genes. It is where the human species evolved, where we lived for millions of years. Africa speaks to you on a primal level, it resonates with your soul. All the sounds, the sights, the smells - it connects with something very deep inside of you.
    This is what I mean:

Film scores mimic alarm calls of animals to heighten fear and emotion, study suggests
    Film soundtracks like Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and The Birds mimic animal distress calls in the wild to heighten our emotions, a report claims.

Researchers say that the score for popular movies tap into our basic animalistic brain to evoke all kinds of feelings from sadness, to fear, to excitement. They believe that "non-linear vocal attributes", the rasping and distortion of voices used by mammals in times of duress, are used by film soundtrack composers.

This technique included the overblowing of brass and wind instruments and the metallic rasp of a French horn when a hand is placed in the bell. They also employed feedback loops from electric guitars and the crash and bang of drums and cymbals.

Professor Daniel Blumstein, the lead author at the University of California, compared a number of soundtracks from Hollywood blockbusters to the distress calls of marmots. He found that the deliberate distortion of sound and sudden pitch and harmony changes at times of dramatic tension and mimicked the alarm calls given out by the marmots at times of duress.

"Noise is associated with horror and fear," said Prof Blumstein who reported his findings in Royal Society journal Biology Letters. "Abrupt frequency shifts are associated with sad dramatic scenes. Noise is associated with horror and fear. I would say it taps into our primal fear which is shared with other mammals and birds.

"It scares us, but it also scares other animals."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/7...-suggests.html
    We are animals. We are African animals. Art is finding the hardwired African instincts in us, expressing the sensations, the vruelty and beauty of the African wild.

I had such a shock of recognition in Africa. Suddenly, while there, I realised why the sounds of my electric guitar excited me. I was only mimicking the far away shrieks of danger that I had never heard in my life before, but that reside in my soul, that are hardwired in my brain to raise adreneline levels for.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 05-29-2010 at 18:49.
    Not everything

I've been reading articles that many are returning as they just couldn't get used to, say, Britain, the USA or the Netherlands.

Also, if we're talking primal instincts and Africa, shouldn't we direct Strike to Ethiopia?

i am going to watch that video just to see what the mysterious Louis actually looks like.

Well dang, I had heard some stories but I didn't know it was that bad!

FWIW I wouldn't be going as a missionary (lol) I'd be a tourist with some friends.

How would you compare it to say Mexico?

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

You wouldn't get trapped in a cloud of smog and suffocate.

Nobody visits Mexico City. They visit the tourist villas, which should go the same for South Africa.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

i spent time in mexico, i think in some ways its better in some ways its worse. Think so who knows. I hear south africa is very nice if you have to money to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Well dang, I had heard some stories but I didn't know it was that bad!

FWIW I wouldn't be going as a missionary (lol) I'd be a tourist with some friends.

How would you compare it to say Mexico?
    South Africa is someplace else. Almost a category of it's own, concerning crime. Such a shame.

Crime is a prominent issue in South Africa. South Africa has a high rate of murders, assaults, rapes, and other crimes compared to most countries. Many emigrants from South Africa state that crime was a big factor in their decision to leave.[1]

A survey for the period 1998–2000 compiled by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime ranked South Africa second for assault and murder (by all means) per capita and first for rapes per capita.[2] Total crime per capita is 10th out of the 60 countries in the dataset. Note that these statistics only compare statistics from approximately 60 countries (typically better-developed countries) and many of the remaining countries of the world will have higher rates of violent crime — though these are usually unmeasured, disputed or uncomparable. The UN statistics also contain some flaws (e.g. gun crime in South Africa[3]).

South Africa also has a bad record for car hijackings when compared to industrialised countries largely associated with the lower rate of car ownership. One South African insurance company, Hollard Insurance, no longer insures Volkswagen Citi Golfs as they are one of the most frequently hijacked vehicles in South Africa.[4] In some areas there are road signs that indicate a high car-jack zone.[5]
    A recent new trend in South Africa is for thieves to enter restaurants and rob the patrons eating there. In July 2008, the Restaurant Association of South Africa (RASA) was forced to raise the security classification of the capital's restaurants to "caution areas". The RASA said since January, 15 people have been killed in 687 attacks carried out on RASA members' businesses.
    Crime against commercial farmers has continued to be a major problem in the country.

The United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute have also conducted research[6] on the victims of crime which shows the picture of South African crime as more typical of a developing country. These statistics show that South Africa has lower rates of violent crime than many African and South American countries.
    From 2003–2009, however, the murder and crime rate has stabilized according to official police data.[7]
    Sexual violence

Main article: Sexual violence in South Africa
    According to a survey for the period 1998–2000 compiled by the United Nations, South Africa was ranked first for rapes per capita.[8] One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year.[9] More than 25 per cent of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to raping someone; of those, nearly half said they had raped more than one person.[10][11] Three out of four who admitted rape attacked for the first time during their teens.[10]
    South Africa has some of the highest incidences of child and baby rape in the world.[12]
    More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

One in three women in South Africa have been raped....last year. The full, shocking impact of that statistic is nearly incomprehensible. On average, a woman gets raped every three years of her life, for her entire life. And most of these are not date-rapes, but of the brutally violent, gun-point, forced entry in your house, a whole gang, snatched from the streets, pulled out of your car, kind.

Women are not required to stop before a robot, so dangerous is it for them to be in a non-moving vehicle.

It is out of this world.
    Not everything

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    You wouldn't get trapped in a cloud of smog and suffocate.
    Last time I was in Seth Efrika. We were driving up from Jo-berg, through the veldt to the Kruger. And you couldn't see more than 200 metres in any direction. The thing is around Jo-berg there are so many African shanties and other assorted slums and they use coal for their fires (it gets really cold in Jo-berg as its a plateau at 1500m altitude, so they need the warmth). Now you wouldn't suffocate, but it wouldn't be much fun either.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Nobody visits Mexico City. They visit the tourist villas, which should go the same for South Africa.
    Seth Efrika != Mexico. Mexico expects American tourists, so these safe Americanized areas have appeared all over the place, as they are economically viable. Seth Efrika has millions of refugees and other displaced persons, all with nothing to their names. There are no "tourist villas". The only place that is remotely along those lines would be the Kruger Park.

To get the scale of it when you fly into the country, you look out of your window in the aeroplane and you see Jo-berg. And you see miles and miles of slums stretching in every direction. And then your father looks and says, "When I was young there was nothing there, just the bush, the veldt and some forest." Or you are in Cape Town, and you see the train go by and your mother says, "We used to catch the train to the beach every weekend. You can't even catch the train now. If you are white you aren't getting off at the other end." Or you drive on the freeway and you pass by slums on every side, and you see that they've got outhouses near the river and they're defecating straight into the river that they're also washing/drinking/swimming in. Or you are driving to the Kruger Park, and you stop to fill up with petrol and the guy behind the counter says to your parents, "Don't take the first exit to the Kruger. There's a shanty town up there on the road, they've been pulling over cars and getting them to pay a toll at gun-point." Or you drive on the freeway and every now and then you see street signs that say, "Hijacking hotspot, Do not slow down."

And on the other hand where else can you see a massive impromptu football match on the lawn of the Union Buildings. Or drive on the freeway and be passed by an old VW with 37 people crammed in and on it. Where else can you go to a game reserve and see 5 prides of lion (incredibly rare, most people don't see any). Or have a leopard walk out in front of your vehicle (again incredibly rare, most people don't see one). Or see an elephant so old its single tusk nearly reaches the ground. Or see a family of elephants playing in the river. Or see a giraffe so old that it is no longer spotted, but almost completely black (their spots get darker and darker as they age). Or see a hyena scouting for prey on a ridge. Or get charged by an overly aggressive bull elephant.

If you want to go, then go. But, basically my tips would be:

- Hire a car. There is no other safe way to get around. Lock the doors of your car when driving.
    - Go to Cape Town. See the beaches, Table Mountain, the Cape of Good Hope, Boulders Beach and swim with the wild penguins, take a walk around the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront and on the waterfront visit the Two Oceans Aquarium.
    - Go to the Kruger Park. And either join a tour or hire a car and drive around yourself.

Then again if you want to see game then you could go to Botswana instead. Botswana is gorgeous.
    Last edited by naut; 02-15-2010 at 06:54.
    #Hillary4prism

Interesting thread. As an Aussie I feel kinship for Sth Africans, especially since I worked with a bunch in London (since that trip I consider Sth Efricans cousins and Kiwis as siblings-nationalism be buggered, we have a lot in common). Very sad to hear about all the rapes and murders and attacks.

I used to have the sterotype: the black/coloured Sth Africans are good, the Anglos are a bit compromised and the dutch ones are bad.

A bit of a peek at the history and meeting all sorts changed my mind. The black Sth Africans I knew were all beaut people but Ii heard about/saw some baddies too. The dutch ones and Anglo ones were alright too-although I met one brute (hey occasionally the stereotypes are true). The anglo Sth Africans I knew calle him a crunchy.

One thing, they are not dishonest people. all the Sth Africans I met were pretty honest and straightforward. Not that we Aussies are liars or anything, but these buggers say exactly what they think. Also what they feel. If a Sth African liked me I knew it. If she was upset I knew it. If one of the guys was a dirty little backstabbing thief I knew it. If he was a decent kid it was bloody obvious. They're a scary mob, being honest like that.

We have a view in Oz we can beat them at anything. They have a good cricket tradition and a great rugby one (and their soccer is getting impressive too). When their cricketers looked like surpassing ours we discovered we didn't like apartheid all of a sudden.

Also we went there for a war where the dutchmen somehow settled on the Englishmen's gold and diamonds before anyone knew they were there, and refused to return them. I swear what is it with us Aussies and getting involved in grubby colonial/commercial ventures?
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Me, I think that everybody ought to see Africa at least once. Africa is in your genes. It is where the human species evolved, where we lived for millions of years. Africa speaks to you on a primal level, it resonates with your soul. All the sounds, the sights, the smells - it connects with something very deep inside of you.
    That's not the sounds and smell, it's the mosquitos and the fever.

I've been there for two weeks, with missionaries(some of you may cringe looking at it(fundamentals) but they were mostly really nice, to me anyway), wasn't that dangerous, mostly because they knew how to get around, but they warned us of all the dangers, too.

Went to Durban as well, two things that stuck out:
    1. stories of taxi drivers shooting eachother over who gets a passenger
    2. the tourist beach had patrols with submachine guns literally every one- or two-hundred meters and some on quads driving around as well

I felt relatively safe and it was a great experience, the country is quite beautiful as well (though the trees aren't exactly greener, but the shapes are different ).

Most horrible experience was when moths would haunt and taunt me at night, even killing one on my pillow didn't help, next day I got some chemicals though and could watch lots of mosquitos etc.falling from the roof (we slept in straw huts and had no mosquito nets, those would probably help).

Oh, the memories...

Would like to go there again one day(not necessarily to the mission ), but yeah, it's dangerous.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Its great, and dangerous.

Best captured with a good camera, which must look rubbish so as not to get robbed.

Beautiful, but raddled with AIDS.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Actaully from this thread Mexico sounds like paradise compared to SA

And the reason I ask this question is I plan to spend some extended time in some place outside of my hemisphere. I have narrowed it down to

-France, UK, And the low countries
    -India
    -South Africa

And since I know the littlest about SA I thought Id ask

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The country is great. You should go, but this is one of these places where you need to do your homework, as a wander into the wrong area at the wrong time will cost you.
    Jozi is a great place. But even more so than in Capetown you must listen to your common sense and keep it always on. (Examples: Don't stop at traffic lights at night if there is no traffic, don't stop at places where there are suspicious looking youths loitering, keep the valuables in the trunk so as not to get smash-n-grabbed, etc.)

I don't think SFTS needs to worry about rape, but do remember HIV is high, specially among black women. Women are generally very beautiful, and haughty, but that depends on the kind of challenge you enjoy - i trust you will develop an eye for prostitutes soon, and, well, if you don't, they will let you know how much...

Joburg international is well served from London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Madrid to name a few. You will need a car to move around as the cities a large, and public transport unsafe for whites, and even more so for tourists. Whatever you do do not get into arguments with taxi drivers, as they are usually armed. Many areas you can go to with locals but can be dangerous on your own, places such as Soweto, Diepsloot, or Alexandra. On a highway, specially at night, don't stop for anything, even punctures, until you get to a petrol station.

Enjoy the scenery, near Joburg I recommend Hartebeesport Dam, and all the lion parks and nature reserves, and visit Carnivore, it's a restaurant slightly outside the city where you can eat many of the game animals. Also, get a GPS. This is a must.

Anyway, let me know if you have any specific questions, I have spent 6 months in Joburg last year and loved it. Plus, as the russians say: you will die at most once.
    Last edited by SwordsMaster; 02-15-2010 at 19:16.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

South Africa is someplace else. Almost a category of it's own, concerning crime. Such a shame.

Despite the horrible rape ratio, if it's less bad than "many South American nations", then it shouldn't be too much to worry about (as a guy). As long as you speak the language, don't carry jewelry or many valuables at all, and keep away from no-go areas for tourists/affluent Westerners. Oh, and for Pete's sake Strike, make sure you have a car. Preferably a big one. I speak from experience living in Honduras (the second poorest country in the Western hemisphere after Haiti).
    Last edited by The Wizard; 02-15-2010 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    it shouldn't be too much to worry about (as a guy).

For your information, Strike´s not a guy. In case you haven´t noticed, she´s been sending me all those and forever.

I´ve been saving up for a ticket to Texas for over a year. Her arse is mine.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 02-16-2010 at 00:52.
    Not everything

Pssst... I was just precluding any feminist outcries
    Last edited by The Wizard; 02-16-2010 at 01:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast