Thread: Castle sieges

Ok this is what i need help on, i have never done a castle siege, i attacked the land, killed an army, then it says that my army is sieging the castle but i never get to do it my self, the only button to pick is ok. am i doing something wrong?

no. sieges take place automatically unless you decide to break the siege by assaulting the castle. every season that you siege the castle the defending force will lose a specified amount of men. a plain castle should take 2 seasons.

drag and drop the army onto the castle to assault it, but ususally it costs lots ofmen

Castle fights are tons of fun, but unless you have them very outnumbered, it's going to be tough.

Drop your army onto the castle itself, and it'll bring up a window asking if you want to break the siege. You can either back off, autoresolve (risky) or command the assault.

Things to remember:
    You only get the men that yuo drop! If you have two separate armies in the province, and only drop one army on the castle, then only that army will attack! This works the same way on defense. If you re-invade a province where you have some units barricaded in a castle, you must remember to move those men out into the province to attack as well! If they don't move out, they won't show up! NOTE: other players are welcome to dispute this. This is what seems to be happening to me, anyway.

Your arrows can NOT penetrate his walls, so firing archers from the flank will have almost NO effect.

His arrows are unaffected, so he'll be shredding your men on approach. Lead with some ashi's as arrow-fodder. (This and the last note combine to simulate firing from castle walls.)

There are someimes "pathing" problems. This means that sometimes soldier won't be able to find the castle door! Wandering units and orphaned soldiers sometimes show up in the battle.

So be careful and bring extra men, but castle fights can be very enjoyable, right up there with bridge battles! Have fun!

-- B)

Archers can fire over the castle walls with some effectiveness IF you can get them on high enough ground. The castle map with the steep cliff face to the right of your start line is one such place were you can. I have reduced the garrison by over 50% with enough archers.

Muskets can always fire through the gate AND they can do so with impunity once any missle troops inside the castle are empty. Troops inside will not sortie. If teppo are also among the garrison then this is not feasible and you must barge in and take your lumps.

It will be interesting to see what ninja will do in castle fights, if anything.

I also wish I had more opportunities to defend castles.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

When i drop my troops on the castle the box comes up saying:
    "continue siege on the castle?" and then there is only to pic yes or no, when i pick yes that is then end, the computer does it itself i dont get to pick command or not.

[This message has been edited by Da Masta (edited 06-12-2001).]

Well l suggest that you continue the siege without attacking the castle man. It costs units. Let em die out of hunger.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://darksideclan.fateback.com
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Let em starve to the point of them having food for just one more season.. than attack with a taisho to get that kill on the way to the next rank

*shrug*

It's a tradeoff. You may not want to wait for starvation if there's a relief army approaching, or there's an heirless Daimyo trapped inside but you think he might get an heir soon.

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.

You may also want to assault the castle in order get the region's koku for the year,

or to accelerate any building plans you may have in the newly conquered area,

or to avoid downgrading the castle.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Thanks for the help guys.

Another reason to assault a castle instead of waiting them out, is that you get to keep the buildings. When a castle starves out it seems that it gets degraded one notch. This means you may lose some of the advanced dojo's. By taking it over, it doesn't seem to degrade them. This is like the enemy burning their own castle to prevent you from getting it.

Looking more closesly, Nelson already mentioned this. Never mind.

-- B)

Quote Originally posted by BanzaiZAP:
    Another reason to assault a castle instead of waiting them out, is that you get to keep the buildings. When a castle starves out it seems that it gets degraded one notch. This means you may lose some of the advanced dojo's. By taking it over, it doesn't seem to degrade them. This is like the enemy burning their own castle to prevent you from getting it.

Looking more closesly, Nelson already mentioned this. Never mind.

-- B)
    [/QUOTE]
    Another thing I wish I knew earlier!
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

When I first siege a castle, everything in the province gets destroyed or damaged save farm improvements and ports.

What are you talking about losing 'advanced dojos' when theyre already wasted by your initial invasion?

Is there some way to NOT blow up all the buildings simply by taking the province?

That isn't always the case Kaltes. Either that or I am doing something different. I have taken control of a few areas and some facilities are destroyed and damaged, but some other facilities are left unharmed. I don't know why that is though. I wish that none were destroyed though.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

Quote Originally posted by Nelson:
    You may also want to assault the castle in order get the region's koku for the year,

or to accelerate any building plans you may have in the newly conquered area,

or to avoid downgrading the castle.
    [/QUOTE]

I sometimes like to assault a castle to get an easy win for a Taisho. Let them starve out for awhile to make it an easy assault and then autocalc the battle. I'll lose a few men but it is worth it if it turns a rank 1 Taisho into a rank 2.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us
    All your base are belong to us

DOJO DOWNGRADES:
    Okay, here's what seems to happen for me:
    When a province is successfully invaded, the local castle gets downgraded one notch. If there are dojos that require the higher level castle, those dojos are also downgraded (damaged), or destroyed, if there is no lesser version (like a horse dojo is destroyed when you lose a large castle).

EXAMPLE: The enemy has a fortress with a mid-level spear dojo, and a higher level horse dojo. I invade, and win (of course! ). The fortress gets dropped to a large castle, and the horse dojo gets dropped to a basic horse dojo. The spear dojo is unaffected, since it only needed a large castle.

If I then attack the castle, then I can take it with no more loss of buildings. However, if I starve them out, then the castle gets downgraded another notch, to a small castle. I then lose the horse dojo completly, and the spear dojo drops to basic.

Make sense?

At the same time, I agree with edRonin: if you have an army of 800, and he's got 20 men holed up in a castle, let your men attack since it'll boost the ability of your general! A good way to get high-ranking generals is to have your daimyo invade provinces, starve them for a while, then have a backup general wipe out the weakened castles. Pick and choose what would be appropriate for each situation. There is never one blanket policy or tactic.

-- B)

[This message has been edited by BanzaiZAP (edited 06-20-2001).]

You are correct, BanzaiZAP.

However, there is one more thing that you failed to mention. You can starve out a level one castle without losing it and without sieging it if the province has a port, farm improvements or a mine in it. The castle will not downgrade a second time.

In fact, if memory serves, any building left standing in a province with a level 1 castle will prevent a second downgrade.

If yoy wait em to starve though they might send army after army to that region and if it is an easily defensible map then the AI won't stand a chance make him waste men.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://darksideclan.fateback.com
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

I always thought that when you win the first time in a province with a castle (forcing the defenders, or what's left of them, to retreat into the castle), all the other buildings (except farmland/mine) get downgraded, but the castle does not. There wouldn't be any point in having a Citadel with a troop limit twice that of the Fortress, if it always got downgraded before the siege, would there?

------------------
    "7. Chugo: devotion, loyalty."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

You are correct Anssi, I have noticed MANY times that border forts get downgraded to border watch towers. I tested it and this is what I came up with:

When you first invade, and force the enemy into their castle (or force them to abandon altogether), all buildings in the territory are destroyed (if they are only level 1 buildings, like an armory) or damaged (if they are level 2+ buildings, like a famous dojo or border forts). Damaged means it gets cut by 1 upgrade level.

At this point, the CASTLE is not damaged! I know I have seen the enemy castle with spies before and after the invasion, it wasn't degraded simply because they jumped inside it. However if you starve them out, the game assumes that your siege so damaged the castle that it is downgraded 1 notch. A castle assult prevents this.

So only 1 downgrade, paid upfront in buildings and later (maybe) by the castle.
    I know that ports, farm improvements, and mines are not destroyed (maybe they are rarely but not when I tested). Castles are not destroyed but are downgraded if you starve out the enemy.

This is what I wish would happen (If I was a developer you guys would love this game!):

#1 Both the attacker and defender are given the option to destroy/damage buildings when they are in control. Upon invasion allow the defender the option of razing structures BEFORE it goes out to battle, and once the attacker wins (if he wins) give the attacker the option to keep structures or raze them. You can damage buildings by 1 level per turn unless you decide to burn everything down (scorched earth) but if you do, the province's population is no longer loyal to you (the invader doesnt risk loyalist unrest for 5 years).

#2 (easier option) Castles simply safeguard certain levels of buildings from destruction by invaders (the building can be located inside castle walls and are protected, since more developed structures are bigger you need a bigger castle to protect them).

Small Castle: Protects None

Large Castle: Protects all level 1 structures (the structures located in the first column of the techtree)

Fortress: Protects level 1s & 2s (2nd column)

Citadel: Protects levels 1-3. So only the structures which REQUIRED a citadel in the first place would be vulnerable to destruction. (No protection for you Geisha! Bad Geisha! *slap* )

If they changed this, then it would give castles better defensive properties and make them far more useful, and temporary setbacks (like losing a single battle) would necessarily ruin a decade's worth of production.

This would even benefit the AI, since the AI loves to build alot of level 1 buildings before upgrading castles. If you build up your troops and go on a rampage through AI provinces once every 5 years or so, you can ruin 75%-95% of his development efforts without having to fight much at all.

There's another variable you're forgetting: whether or not there was an actual battle fought. Again, I'm ging by appearances, since I'm not in on the programming.

On one assault, the enemy fought back, defended for a while, but lost the battle and routed off the field. The province was taken, and I got the damaged dojo message, and the castle graphic changed on the startegic map. Another assault, and the enemy just retreated. There was never a battle fought. Again, I got the damaged dojos, but the castle graphic did not change. This looks like the castle-downgrade was dependent on actual combat in that province.

Admittedly, I could be completely off base, and my eyes are playing tricks on me, like little round devils. As to kaltes' suggestion, I totally agree on having control! Especially with the upcoming Mongol campaign, it would be fun to tear across the landscape, leaving nothing in your wake but blackened earth.....

-- B)