Thread: How does bribery work? (Not sure what forum this belongs in)

Default How does bribery work? (Not sure what forum this belongs in)

In Rome Total War, are there certain conditions that have to be met to bribe an army, general, or city? If there are, I'm trying to find out what is required for the "Bribe" option to show up in diplomacy, and also if there is a way to know how much bribery will cost.

Kaishakunin Member smooth_operator's Avatar
    --somewhere where there's lots of peanuts-- --and beef--

Default Re: How does bribery work? (Not sure what forum this belongs in)

You can bribe an incoming army to avert imminent damage. Once in my campaign as Julii, I had to bribe my way to Sparta because the greek armies were a hell to beat. Once you send over your diplomat to them, select the 'bribe' option. They will then respond regarding the cost. Some will disband at a cost below 10k, however if you're bribing a hardened general, it will take you even up to 30k to bribe that general.
    a totally innocent sig...

Default Re: How does bribery work? (Not sure what forum this belongs in)

Bribery seems to have a rather complex mechanic, even compared to other parts of this game. Been looking for a detailed guide on this myself but failing to find one I'll try to answer your questions from my own (rather limited) experience:

1. Yes, there are certain conditions for bribing different units and cities in RTW. In patch 1.5 you can not bribe armies, generals and cities belonging to other Roman factions while playing one yourself. There is also a general rule that you can not bribe other factions' leaders and heirs. Neither can you bribe other factions' capitals as far as I know, but I have not tried this myself. There may be other restrictions I have yet to discover.

2. Apart from the above mentioned restrictions it is possible (in theory) to bribe any army or city in theory, but the option will only be available if you have a good enough diplomat, enough money and enough military power. For instance if your faction has three provinces, 2 000 in the bank and a diplomat with only 1 in Influence you will have a very hard time bribing anyone. Also the power of the faction you're negotiating with and the Influence-skill of that particular character affects the outcome.

As for the cost it is usually very, very steep. Not sure if this varies with the difficultysetting but playing the game on Very Hard for the campaign map bribing even the smallest army led by a mediocre rebel captain will usually cost at least 10 000 denari. This cost probably varies with patches and settings, and I recall bribing being much easier and cheaper in version 1.0 for instance.

----

Hope this gives you some help and sorry if it seems terribly confusing. Trying to make some sense out of the mechanics made me rather confused myself

Kind regards
    "It's easy to be outnumbered when you're a zero" - George of the Jungle