Thread: Does playing multiple Total War titles make you a bad war general?

Kaishakunin Member smooth_operator's Avatar
    --somewhere where there's lots of peanuts-- --and beef--

Default Does playing multiple Total War titles make you a bad war general?

Playing a bunch of Total war games might give you the grim satisfaction of hacking you opponents to pieces or shredding them with 20 pounders. However, given the different time scopes and generations of total war games(w/c of course includes the ever evolving style of warfare), does it affect the way you handle battles when you're playing different titles at the same time?(ex. NTW and M2TW; "c'mon knights,shoot the damn footguards!" ; "okay old guard. Richard the lionheart's approaching, form a schiltrom!")
    a totally innocent sig...

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Re: Does playing multiple Total War titles make you a bad war general?

My tactics vary very little from title to title (except STW and MTW). I'm a rather lousy general, however my tried and true generic tactics lead me to victory in RTW onward again and agian. I don't roleplay much so I seldom get confused, though I have been known to charge heavy calvary into line infantry like I would knights into feudal foot knights much to my dismay! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Some things are constants. Always get the high ground, always secure your flanks. Use hammer and anvil. Chase routing units.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

So the army should discourage playing civil war based simulations? I am not certain where you are wanting to go with this or what your point is. We always study the past as they say -- to learn from it and also to not repeat the errors from the past (if possible).

Would you expect less from a Viking?

Kaishakunin Member smooth_operator's Avatar
    --somewhere where there's lots of peanuts-- --and beef--

am not referring to your academics...simply to WARRING TACTICS that's it
    a totally innocent sig...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

In the end, all of the SP combat in all TW titles generally comes down to a nasty scrum. Every once in a while terrain or force mixtures let you outmanuever and destroy your opponent cleanly, but much more frequently inferior troops or troops in an inferior position just charge and force you to mix it up frontally. Then the better troops generally win while taking significant casualties.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    In the end, all of the SP combat in all TW titles generally comes down to a nasty scrum. Every once in a while terrain or force mixtures let you outmanuever and destroy your opponent cleanly, but much more frequently inferior troops or troops in an inferior position just charge and force you to mix it up frontally. Then the better troops generally win while taking significant casualties.
    This is the case for RTW through to NTW, but not for the first two games (STW and MTW). Unit cohesion is better in the earlier games than it is in the latter titles in the series, and battles are better paced and balanced, avoiding the "nasty scrums" of the later TW titles.

To answer question in the OP, I would say yes, especially if you are playing RTW for an extended period and then go back to MTW and STW. Many players have recounted such experiences in both the Main Hall and Sword Dojo (i.e. getting absolutely slaughtered in STW/MTW after playing RTW/M2TW for an extended period). I myself have had the same experience.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I know how to over spam chasseurs on horse in NTW, and overuse cavalry, my napoleon campaign end up more like mongollian campaign with muskets and guns.... and charge line infantry forward without made them fire their muskets.... dang....

*. and prone to melee spam in Empire as well

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    This is the case for RTW through to NTW, but not for the first two games (STW and MTW). Unit cohesion is better in the earlier games than it is in the latter titles in the series, and battles are better paced and balanced, avoiding the "nasty scrums" of the later TW titles.

To answer question in the OP, I would say yes, especially if you are playing RTW for an extended period and then go back to MTW and STW. Many players have recounted such experiences in both the Main Hall and Sword Dojo (i.e. getting absolutely slaughtered in STW/MTW after playing RTW/M2TW for an extended period). I myself have had the same experience.

Only played MTW briefly. Won't run on any of the remaining household computers. My brief recollections do jibe with what you are saying though. I only recall thinking the "unbeatable generals" were a little silly, but rather liking the rest of it. Pity I can't play it again some time and see.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I only recall thinking the "unbeatable generals" were a little silly, but rather liking the rest of it.
    Jedi generals were only a problem in certain cases and for certain factions. As a whole generals units are no where as overpowered in MTW as they are in RTW.