Thread: Unit Cohesion in EBII

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Unit Cohesion in EBII

I remember bringing this up a few years ago but I was wondering if it was still part of the plan to adjust whatever values make units stick together in EB II to represent unit discipline. IE. Units with higher discipline can be pulled out of battle easier and that sort of thing.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: Unit Cohesion in EBII

If this can be done it sounds like a good idea. I'll look forward to an answer from the team

I don't know much of the mechanics of the M2TW engine, but Bucefalo mentioned something along these lines in the charging infantry thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    About some formations being more cohesive than others, i think the M2TW engine represents it well, as you can give "untrained" status or "highly_disciplined" depending on how tidy you want the formation. Another thing which is used in TATW is decreasing unit density to force the soldiers to stand even closer to each other, IIRC this was already present in RTW and i think EB already made use of it.
    Unit cohesion would influence how easy it is to do anything with a unit without it getting embroiled in a fight with some random contact. So I suggest this is where your answer will lie.
    Last edited by Maeran; 10-16-2011 at 12:42.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

All this is reasonable, but there has always been an interesting question, one born out of my interest in other time periods, but I 'm sure can be put to use here (if possible):

can animations for units (in terms of marching and maneuvering, but little else) be done in a cadenced style? that is to say, march in step. it could surely help the soldiers maneuver and even stay quite coherent if applied successfully.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg