Thread: ModestyPatch.exe detected by Kaspersky as a Trojan downloader

Default ModestyPatch.exe detected by Kaspersky as a Trojan downloader

Today I made a virus scan with the Kaspesky Online Scanner, and it detected the file "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\EB\TempFixes\ModestyPatch.exe" being infected with Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.cbr. I uploaded it to Jotti's malware scan, and there F-Secure Anti-Virus also found it infectec with Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.cbr, so I don't think it is a false positive.

I've never noticed this file before. What does it do (or supoosed to do, at least)? Has it been infected by the malware from outside, or was it flawed from the beginning? When I check its properties, the file was "changed" the last time at the same time that it was created, which I guess means never at all.

Dooes anyone know more about this? If you upload your ModestyPatch.exe to Jotti's malware scan, does it come up as malware or not?

Default Re: ModestyPatch.exe detected by Kaspersky as a Trojan downloader

Modesty patch puts a groincloth (or pants or something) on the Gaesatae.

Edit:
    Mine was also detected as Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.cbr on the Jotti scan (by F-Secure & Kaspersky) O_o
    Could just be a false detection since the others don't see it as a problem?
    Last edited by hoom; 08-13-2007 at 23:26.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Hmm. The installer was made with a reputable program and only contains the "modesty" files themselves and a standard msi installer file.

It appears this is a newly detected trojan, so perhaps they haven't fine tuned its detection yet? I've not seen any suspicious behaviour from the installer anyhow.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The installer does hang-up and sit around not doing anything for up to 15 minutes at a time, for some people, including myself. That is the only weird thing I've seen from the installer.

fancy assault unit Member blank's Avatar

Oh NO!! Our secret plan has been discovered!

The EB team wanted to use the loincloth patch to get access to all your PCs and then take over the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Now I can even store my dick in EB underwear

i had it today with 081afinal.exe with zonealarm so we are now official playing a game that try too conquer the world instead of europe alone

ps and the file was already scanned every week for 6 months or so and never had a single warning

Talking Re: ModestyPatch.exe detected by Kaspersky as a Trojan downloader

I had the same problem the file ModestyPatch.exe was detected by Kaspersky as a Trojan .. However I move back to Kaspersky old version 7 seems to be the only version that have no fake alarms and work for me , this is my first post :)

kaspersky 7 don't show false detection to me

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

that was pretty false... we all knows that kapersky is too sensitive as an antivirus, leaving the modesty patch alone should be fine...

(or better, leave the dicks uncovered , unless you are some homophobic man)

oh yeah, wellcome to the EB forum Alexander78

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    kaspersky 7 don't show false detection to me
    what's the price?

and welcome to the forum
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I have the newest Internet Security of Kaspersky and it keeps whining about the EB 1.1 Installer.

This is a big necro though!

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

NOD32.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Hello! I use a version of kaspersky too and I wanna tell it's very carrefully with the viruses. Actually I am clean and I am for this program olthought I tried Avast and Norton. They were ok but this might be the best. When you meet a problem like this, remember the antivirus is very important. I took this version and it's cool http://www.trustdownload.com/Antivir...urity-7.0.html

Oddly Kaspersky didn't allow me to install EB and when ever I start EB, little box pops up saying behaviour similar to PDM keylogger.
    Last edited by Ortilochus; 06-17-2010 at 01:46.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Damn, you discovered our secret plan to take over the world and set it back to antiquity!

Serious, there are no included spy-ware/malware sections in EB, some of the features to play a trick on the engine and to make a more smoothly appearance can be found dangerous by sporadical Antivirus programs, but I just know about Kaspersky and two others. All others, including on demand internet scanners have no problem with the installers.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Modesty patch? I thought naked fanatics were called naked fanatics because they were naked...

Seriously, you download a mod for historic realism and then remove some of this accuracy by distorting one of the most controversial units in antiquity, what then is the point of EB?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortilochus View Post
    Oddly Kaspersky didn't allow me to install EB and when ever I start EB, little box pops up saying behaviour similar to PDM keylogger.
    Kapersky is useless antivirus, told ya.... uninstall them and install another one....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Modesty patch? I thought naked fanatics were called naked fanatics because they were naked...

Seriously, you download a mod for historic realism and then remove some of this accuracy by distorting one of the most controversial units in antiquity, what then is the point of EB?
    Come on, you just like watching the pixel snakes between the males' legs for hours!

Just kidding. :P

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary