Thread: Question about my AI controlled generals on my battle maps in the campaign.

Unhappy Question about my AI controlled generals on my battle maps in the campaign.

Is there a way to change the way the AI controls my own faction's generals during battles. They often do stupid things like charging ahead far in advance of their troops and attacking the enemy head on without any support. Many times they charge directly into the front of a phalanx. This does not seem historically accurate or realistic. If it is a battle between two of my armies and two of another faction, then I have to rush my troops into battle to save my faction's AI controlled general, while his troops are far from the battle. Historically, most Roman generals stood behind their army and directed it unless the battle was going terribly wrong. Only then did they mix it up with the enemy. Can anything be done? Help please.

Default Re: Question about my AI controlled generals on my battle maps in the campaign.

There are two ways to deal with this - one, uncheck the box that tells the AI to control the army. Now you're in control of both. But maybe you're role-playing you can only be one general. No problem. Install one of the battle AIs (look in the sub-mod forum) there are two main ones I think.. Darthmod (decent, but makes sling bullets explode which I don't like) and um... another one that starts with S which is what I use. 3 different options should be in one download with instructions. They are save-game compatible. It will make your AI armies and their AI armies marginally less stupid.

Default Re: Question about my AI controlled generals on my battle maps in the campaign.

You could either remove the general (and possibly all cavalry) from your reinforcements before the attack, or you could command the stack yourself. Sadly, it's impossible to make the AI-behaviour any better than it is.
    from plutoboyz

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post
    There are two ways to deal with this - one, uncheck the box that tells the AI to control the army. Now you're in control of both. But maybe you're role-playing you can only be one general. No problem. Install one of the battle AIs (look in the sub-mod forum) there are two main ones I think.. Darthmod (decent, but makes sling bullets explode which I don't like) and um... another one that starts with S which is what I use. 3 different options should be in one download with instructions. They are save-game compatible. It will make your AI armies and their AI armies marginally less stupid.
    I think it was Sinuhet's battle mod(or something like that).
    Also, just unchecking the "AI control army" box once might not work. Even if you uncheck it it might give the control over your second army to the AI. It's a bug that haven't been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    I think it was Sinuhet's battle mod(or something like that).
    Also, just unchecking the "AI control army" box once might not work. Even if you uncheck it it might give the control over your second army to the AI. It's a bug that haven't been removed.
    This only happens to me when I uncheck the box, watch at my or the AI's armies by clicking on the general's picture and then start the battle. If I - after checking my or his general's traits - uncheck and check the box, I don't have that problem.
    from plutoboyz

Here's the link:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...Formation-Mods

Be warned that unless you have some modding skills, its hard to get rid of the DarthMod's exploding sling bullets. Main reason why I use Sinuhets...

Smile Re: Question about my AI controlled generals on my battle maps in the campaign.

Thanks guys; I'll try those options.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    There is a work-around, though: check this post by Seasoned Alcoholic.

Welcome to the .Org and to EB, Achilles son of Peleus.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thanks Ludens.