Thread: A Bridge Zhou Far - Three Stars Rising [Concluded]

Blog Entries

Default A Bridge Zhou Far - Three Stars Rising [Concluded]

A Bridge Zhou Far

Or, Three Stars Rising

A journey of a thousand li starts with a single step. – Lao Tzu

October 24th 1938

Whilst the world focuses on
    Europe, and the dreams of one madman, the thunder of war has already rumbled in the East for a year. This is the Second-Sino Japanese War, a conflict that would later merge with the Second World War. Japanese soldiers have swarmed out of Manchukuo into the Republic of China, capturing Peking, Shanghai and Nanking, often with horrific brutality. . The actions of the People’s Extraordinary Detachment (PEXDET) will prevent Wuhan from joining that list. This particular force is under the command of Captain Subotan, who was meeting with Kuomintang forces in the town of Heihui Chen in order to launch a counter attack out of Guei Sui Valley and seize control of the Yangtze, thereby cutting off Japanese forces in Wuhan. Plans were discussed with Colonel Bei Bi, commander of the KMT forces in Heihui Chen. The Colonel noticeably stiffened when Comrade Subotan walked into the room, and he appeared to have some difficulty bowing in greeting to the Communists. Subotan made a mental note to develop a personal dislike towards him. Regardless of the relationship between the two commanders, it was agreed that the following morning, both armies would march down to confront the Japanese in battle, with the KMT artillery that were overlooking the valley they were camped in providing covering fire during the assault.

October 25th 1938, 03:00 Central Beijing Time, Heihui Chen.

Lan Ben Dan shivered as a wind blew through into the mouth and up the Guei Sui Valley. Watching the entrance to the town, he was responsible for making sure that the United Front troops did not receive unwelcome visitors during the middle of the night. Well, he and another Communist soldier were meant to be standing watch, along with two other KMT soldiers, but it looked like they were all too lazy to bother. He didn’t blame them. This would be the last peaceful sleep that any of them would get prior to the attack tomorrow. Heck, it could even be the last sleep they’d ever get.

Lan stamped his feet in an attempt to keep warm. His limp cigarette, clamped between tight lips and stamped with Cyrillic, glowed briefly. After a minute or so of this “exercise”, he stopped, now thoroughly toasty. But the sound of footsteps didn’t stop. A faint pattering could be heard, coming from outside the town. Lan strained his ears to make sure he wasn’t about to raise the alarm because of a goat, or that liquor he’d had earlier to keep warm. He quickly realised that it was definitely not a sheep, or mild intoxication, so he cocked his rifle and went to peer down the sights.

That distinctive clicking sound one hears when a bolt on a rifle is pulled back was muffled by the sound of a tank shell slamming into the hut Lan Ben Dan had stamped in, unfortunately killing him. An engine then started with a splutter that quickly levelled into a dirty snarl and a Japanese tank rolled into view. Swarms of Japanese soldiers erupted from the undergrowth like bees from a hive, and charged up to the ruins of the guardhouse. The treads of the tank ground and ripped the earth as they dragged the machine up the small hill.

The tank heaved up the hillock, and its front end swung through the air before smashing into the ground once the summit was reached. With Heihui Chen both defenceless and unaware of the attack, the tank’s main cannon opened fire into the city.

Captain Subotan stormed outside his tent to find that the town of
    Heihui Chen was under attack by the Japanese. An orange glow emanated from the far end of town, as did screams, cracks and low booms. His name was called, and Subotan turned around to see panicked Corporal Mei Yi Sei run up to him

“Corporal! What in the name of Lao Tzu is going on?”

“We don’t know! I have no idea how they could have found us! They must have known about this for days, as there’s no way they could have mobilised tanks if they’d just discovered us”!

“Arggh! Where’s Colonel Bei Bi? I presume the Kuomintang is counter attacking with their artillery?”

“They’ve disappeared! They must have been wiped out in the initial attack.”

“That’s impossible; the Japanese would need air support.”

Whilst others gathered around Subotan, waiting for orders, the Corporal pulled some binoculars out of a pouch hanging from his waist and inspected the ridge where the Kuomintang artillery was raining righteous justice upon the Japanese. Or rather, should have been.

“I don’t see anything Captain. Not even any wreckage.”

“That lying bastard! He knew we were going to be attacked, and he let us take the brunt of it so he could escape. Reactionary scum!”

Before the Corporal could reply, there was a Prauff as a bullet hit Mei’s temple, and the rest of him collapsed. The others around Subotan anxiously pressed him for orders, their faces full of confusion and fear.

“The only way the Japanese could have discovered us is if they have infiltrated our unit and are hiding amongst us, sending information and reports back to their headquarters. The same goes for the Kuomintang, as they-”

An explosion not 100 metres away, engulfing some Communist partisans, cut Subotan short.

“There’s no way we can hold this town, not against artillery and heavy armour. Give the order to ‘RETREAT!’”

The soldiers didn’t need telling twice, and the irregulars grabbed their weapons, some supplies and ran for their very survival up the valley, out of the town and into the mountains of
    Central China.

Short shouts indicated when a comrade had been unlucky enough to be picked out by a Japanese sniper. Subotan was panting for breath, and as each step became harder and harder, he fell further and further behind. A log lying between two rocks caused the Captain to stumble and fall, crashing into the earth. A Japanese soldier who was in hot pursuit noticed this, and the hail from bullets which spewed forth from his weapon made sure that Captain Subotan never got back up.

October 25th 1938, 04:30 Central Beijing Time, 4 km North West of Heihui Chen.

It had been twenty minutes since the last Chinese soldier had made it to the out and over the top of
    Guei Sui Valley. The ones who had huddled around in small groups, mourning friends and patriots lost, with some crying, others scouring the valley with binoculars for survivors, and the majority just staring into space.

Eventually, one of the latter stood up.

“That’s it, we’re the only ones left alive. Has anyone done a roll call?”

Everyone shook their heads, and a quick head count estimated that there were about 40 men present.

“40? Out of 218? In that case, there’s no way we can complete our objectives, even if we had Nationalist support. A full scale strategic retreat is our only option. It’s what the Captain would have done, were he alive.

And we can’t retreat back to Nationalist territory, not after what happened. They’d kill all of us, seeing as we know the truth as to why Wuhan will fall. So, it’s all the way back to Yan’an Soviet for us.”

A shudder swept through the company. They remembered the last time that Communists had had to do that, and it wasn’t pretty. Indeed, some present had even been veterans on that march; they shuddered most of all.

“Before we set out though, we need a leader. It is vital that we have strong leadership to guide us over 1,000 kilometres. So, I propose that we now elect a Chairman to lead us, and that he pick a cabal of officers, to advice and act for him.”

Nods of agreement could be seen throughout the grouping.

“However, before we set out, I must pass on to you what I heard from Captain Subotan moments before he died. He said that we must have been infiltrated by both the Kuomintang, and the Japanese. I have no idea if they are still within this company, but the risk is apparent. We may need to take action to purge our worker’s collective of Rightist influence.”

Steely stares and grim scowls met this unpleasant news, and whilst the workers were busy thinking of who might be a traitor, the soldier who had been speaking slipped back into the ranks. Due to it being very dark, nobody could recall his name, face or voice. Either way, it was clear that he didn’t want to be identified, and that his advice was sound. And as the rising sun broke through the mountains of China to glare upon the Marxists in their mountain hideout, the Communists gathered their packs, hoisted their rifles onto their backs and began their long descent, and their long march, unsure and mournful.

This is an election phase. The players will now vote for who they think should be Chairman. This office is one that shall be held for life. A letter of resignation is effectively a death warrant. No players will be lynched this phase. The Chairman will then pick an Officer Corps to serve him. Anyone wishing to become an Officer (But not the Deputy) must put their names forward, or be nominated by someone else.

This phase will last for 23 hours, until 21:00 GMT+1.

Alive players: 40/40
    ACIN
    ArpeggiateTHIS
    autolycus
    AVSM
    Azathoth
    Beefy187
    Beskar
    Captain Blackadder
    Chaotix
    Cultured Drizzt fan
    Cute Wolf
    Death is yonder
    Double A
    GeneralHankerchief
    johnhughthom
    Jolt
    Joooray
    landlubber
    M3YUZ
    Methos
    miotas
    Nictel
    Niklas
    Pinman
    Psychonau
    Renata
    Romanic
    Sasaki
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Secura
    shlin28
    Sigurd
    spL1tp3r50naL1ty
    taka
    TheFlax
    Thermal Mercury
    wideyedwanderer
    Winston Hughes
    Wishazu
    Yaseikhaan
    YLC

Lynched players 0/40

Killed Players 0/40
    Last edited by Subotan; 06-17-2010 at 09:58.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Bridge Zhou Far - Three Stars Rising | IN PLAY

elect: Beefy187

Townie town town!

Officul tallie!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Beefy187 (1): Double A
    Not voting: (39):ACIN
    ArpeggiateTHIS
    autolycus
    AVSM
    Azathoth
    Beefy187
    Beskar
    Captain Blackadder
    Chaotix
    Cultured Drizzt fan
    Cute Wolf
    Death is yonder
    GeneralHankerchief
    johnhughthom
    Jolt
    Joooray
    landlubber
    M3YUZ
    Methos
    miotas
    Nictel
    Niklas
    Pinman
    Psychonau
    Renata
    Romanic
    Sasaki
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Secura
    shlin28
    Sigurd
    spL1tp3r50naL1ty
    taka
    TheFlax
    Thermal Mercury
    wideyedwanderer
    Winston Hughes
    Wishazu
    Yaseikhaan
    YLC
    Last edited by Double A; 06-16-2010 at 22:11.

Blog Entries

It's an election phase AA >_>

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fixed

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Vote: Azathoth for Chairman! I'm not Japanese!

DO I LOOK JAPANESE TO YOU?

HUH? DO I?

LOOK AT MY FACE! ROOK AT IT!

Blog Entries

We do not approve of racism on the org

However, we do on TWC. Well done!

Blog Entries

@Azathoth

When you're electing a Chairman, use Elect:Subotan, rather than Vote:Subotan, as the latter implies you're lynching him.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Elect: Azathoth

The spirit of our fallen leader guides me with his wisdom!

Call me Arpeg. Member ArpeggiateTHIS's Avatar

Elect: ArpeggiateTHIS

FREEDOM FROM THE CONSTRAINTS OF CAPITALISM....PROLETARIAT....mumblemumble...JUSTICE....for all...
    Arpeggio: A broken chord. Arpeggiate: Breaking up a chord. ArpeggiateTHIS, scumbag.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

A real Chinese for Chairman!!!
    Elect: AVSM

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Elect: Beskar

If you've seen any of my backroom posts, I am regularly accused of being a communist. This is a perfect role for Comrade Beskar, to lead the revolutionary workers republic to glory!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Townie town town!
    Looks forward to whatever punishment the host can cook up. Elect: Niklas

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    DO I LOOK JAPANESE TO YOU?

HUH? DO I?

LOOK AT MY FACE! ROOK AT IT!
    I have visions of a Chinese Homer Simpson shaking his fist saying that.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 06-16-2010 at 22:34.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Elect: GH

One of these days I'm actually going to get this role.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

[Sorry, couldn't resist - GH]
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 06-16-2010 at 22:44.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I doubt anyone will be able to top that. Comrade Beskar it is!

Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

My election as leader will ensure the defeat of the Japanese devils at Khalkin Gol a year from now!

Last edited by Azathoth; 06-16-2010 at 22:45.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh dear, it appears as if vandals have already struck.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

I spy the evil peoples Senior Member Romanic's Avatar

Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Oh dear, it appears as if vandals have already struck.
    Unelect Beskar, Elect: General Hankerchief

I like a good joke, and "Comrade Hankerchief" has a certain ring to it
    Micheal D'Anjou

Blog Entries

Poor GH :(

unelect: Comrade Beef Monster, elect: Comrade Hankerchief

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

nah, no one choose real chinese???? why???

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Blog Entries

Workers, Heroes of the Chinese Republic. The American Capitalist Bourgeoisie dogs attempt to infilitrate our shores and spread, taking away our wealth, hard labour and pollute our minds with their descendant and dishonourable ways.

Unite, my Comrades, unite in arms, for we of the Peoples Revolution shall forge our destiny in the stars and create a new world, where all men are equal!

Know the enemy when you see it, strike a chord of fear into their hearts, fight for justice!

Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 06-16-2010 at 23:12.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    nah, no one choose real chinese???? why???
    Because AVSM is a poor candidate for such a responsible position, mostly due to his inactivity.

elect: Beskar
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

I do not have the support of the people.

The only other responsible choice is to Elect: Beskar!

Blog Entries

My my, the vandals are certainly active tonight. Beskar, what say you to the charges that you are a vampire?

Blog Entries

(remember everyone, GH can ban you.

Just kidding, you wouldn't do that? Right? Uh... right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    (remember everyone, GH can ban you.

Just kidding, you wouldn't do that? Right? Uh... right?)

I am sure Comrade Hankerchief would never exile a good communist proletariat. But Those evil capitalists have no place in the workers paradise!
    Micheal D'Anjou

Blog Entries

Last edited by Beskar; 06-16-2010 at 23:39.

Blog Entries

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast