Thread: My Yari Samurai and Cavalry are Wusses: help!

Member Member jskirwin@yahoo.com's Avatar

Last night I was facing off a seemingly endless marching stream of Oda's ashigaru with what I thought were well placed (albeit low honor) groups of samurai and cavalry. Oda's ashi march all the way across the map and up the hill towards my troops, and what do you know, half of my troops began to run. In a panic I command everyone to go after a single unit of ashi - which lead to the eventual defeat of the attacking forces. Still, what a bunch of candy asses.

I used a lot of line formations 2-3 samurai deep. Did this spread out the troops too much - or was it simply an honor issue (general +1 only vs Oda himself).

Just wondering. Thanks.
    Ceterum Censeo delendus est Bin Ladin.

If there is nobody standing behind a unit, that unit can get nervous. If there is nobody standing next to a unit, it can get nervous. If a unit can not see the general, it may get nervous. If a unit is facing off against a larger or higher-honor army (count the banners) it can get nervous. If there are a lot of dead comrades lying about, they'll get nervous. If they are being told to keep backing away from the enemy... you guessed it! They'll get nervous! There are tons of morale factors, and a low honor unit can be seriously affected.

-- B)

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

AND DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY COFFEE AND CHOCOLATE, caffeine will only make them more nervous....
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

1)Yari cav are quite fearfull of spears

2)when one unit runs-rout through other units, they are likely to run also (panic effect), unless it is peasants that are running away (ashis and guns).

3) All the possibilities that BanzaiZap mentionnned are true.

KumaRatta Yamamoto (Emissary of the Ratta clan) Come and visit our site: www.rattaclan.homestead.com
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

If you try to rush any kind of cav into ashis they will run after a little fight. It is better to use ur troops to fight straight on, and try to flank or come behind with ur cav.

Is it just me? I'm seeing Responses: 4 for this post but only seeing the original and Banzai's response.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

The third response must have been written while you were opening this thread. JSK, put ur YS in hold formation and put ur YC on the flanks. Put the Taisho unit behind the main body. When ur YS engages the ashi's try to double team the units on the enemy's flank with ur YS and YC. Hopefully you can cause his flank units to rout and then work your way toward the center of is army. Engage ur YS first, then flank with Cavs.

------------------
    RUN, to live to run another day!

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

Well my opinion is to never set a unit in hold formation unless your ys are facing something much stronger. Have a 4 or 5 ys for a 1st line usually 4 lines deep and they must be somewhat high honor. Rest behind to back up that line and flank from there.
    Sometimes there are bugs and while you are winning you can start running cause a unit routed and the list goes on.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://darksideclan.fateback.com
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Member Member jskirwin@yahoo.com's Avatar

Thanks for the morale refresher course.
    Ceterum Censeo delendus est Bin Ladin.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Do what Captain Insane-O does: open up a can of Whoopass on them!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Well in my experiences I have notice that group formations help with morale a lot. If you just have your forces bunchedup, it seems like they rout more easily.
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

look. it says it in the instruction book. "heavy cav is the the elite of the samurai army.... blah blah. when used offensively they are fearful... blah blah" my god. who made this stuff up? obviously someone who didn't play the game.. when i read that i had tears in my eyes i laughed so hard... the supposedly 'elite' of the samurai army runs from a few peasants becuase they have pointy sticks... great

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu

Agreed. For as low of an attack bonus that heavy cav get, couldn't they at least hang in a battle longer and have higher morale? (2 attack bonus, same as yari samurai, woo-hoo. Monks are 6.) I find them worthless to be honest, for their cost anyway. There's nothing they can do that yari cav can't, both are OK but only in charging from flank or rear and yari cav is faster and kills archers easier.

Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Use ur Heavy Cavs against monks and ND

------------------
    RUN, to live to run another day!

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net