View Poll Results: Do you want to be invited to this game?

Voters
46. This poll is closed
  • Consider me signed up!

41 89.13%
  • I'll decide later.

4 8.70%
  • Don't invite me to this game.

1 2.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Big New Yorker- [TBNY] concept thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Big New Yorker- (TBNY) concept thread

Uh oh...random percentage chance of successful kills...

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I'm not seeing anything about strippers or hookers, am I missing something in the rules?
    Check "Game Roles"

See:

Roleblocker path: (Criminal)

Working with 4 others, you must successfully block someone 3 times (level 1) then successfully block someone 3 more times (level 2) and then 3 more times (level 3).

- Level 1 [Sergeant/Singer] 50% chance of blocking someone.
    - Level 2 [Lieutenant/Dancer] 75% chance of blocking someone.
    - Level 3 [Captain/Prostitute] 100% chance of blocking someone.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Uh oh...random percentage chance of successful kills...
    It's not a random percentage, Pizza already has the numbers worked out

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    It's not a random percentage, Pizza already has the numbers worked out
    I have already formed three likely scenarios for this game, based on what I know of you and who I predict will join the game. Then I rolled all of the results.

• First of all, if 87 people join the game, then Yaseikhaan wins the game for the town by becoming a one-man townie death squad and simply assassinating everyone, ending up hitting an impressive 4 mafia Dons personally. When asked why he was being such an awesome townie this game, he said and I quote: "I wasn't trying to win the game for the town. I just wanted to kill things."
    • If 93 people join the game, then Tincow wins the game by being the owner of the last corporation left standing. Interestingly enough, he started his own Corporation and still won because he is that bureaucratically efficient.
    • If I get 100 people to join the game, then I foresee God Emperor winning the game as a Serial Killer. Incidentally, what he does to Romanic in round 17 is too horrendous to describe.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Say if we are allocated the role of the Owner of a Coropration, can we rename it?

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Say if we are allocated the role of the Owner of a Coropration, can we rename it?
    ....No.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

The tireless production machine rolls on, huh? :P

I admire how you devised this alongside the Star Wars one that you've got planned too... I've struggled to pull a small game together, two large games at once is way out of my league! I'm certain that this will be just as good as the rest of your games, and I'm sure alot of people are going to enjoy it. :3
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

I spy the evil peoples Senior Member Romanic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    • If I get 100 people to join the game, then I foresee God Emperor winning the game as a Serial Killer. Incidentally, what he does to Romanic in round 17 is too horrendous to describe.
    If we get 100 players, I'm dropping from the game!

So folks, you should be able to see the general format and concept...

What am I missing? (besides secret roles or subplots.... I'll handle that) Is there something you'd like to see in this game that you don't?

Are there parts of the game you don't like or don't understand why they are there? Any criticisms about the balance/fairness of certain roles? Are there parts of the game I need to clarify or make more concrete? For example:

1. I see I need to detail the politician career path and legal path a bit more
    2. I need to define what investigations reveal better.
    3. I need to define the criminal path a bit more
    4. Items and strength need more information.

And so on. I am aware the game is relatively complicated by comparison to a regular mafia game, but... in my opinion there's just some "overwheming" due to the game mechanics description being large. No one will know the game mechanics by memory alone. That's why it is written down. Even a game like Monopoly has an instruction booklet or the rules written on the box, because even a simple game like that has somewhat detailed rules. This isn't dungeons and dragons, though.

Sample Roles

Note: This will not be what your ROLE PM looks like. It includes my commentary and sample strategy. I obviously won't include such helpful hints in your actual ROLE PM. This is just to give you a general idea of what to do.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Suppose you got a townie role (corruptible) and you were a manager in the Automotive corporation. Let's also suggest I might have randomized some extra skill in certain areas, or powers due to item distribution. In this case, you have an inherent bonus when performing a murder or a theft because you are particularly sneaky.

Townie- (corruptible)
    Alignment- Lawful
    Day job: Manager- (Authoritative Automotive Company)
    Night job: unemployed- (not skilled yet)
    Attribute: Sneaky- (extra 20% bonus when performing theft or murder)
    Personal Goal: Be elected Senator

Strength: 3

Item: Antique hunting rifle
    +10% when performing a murder

Townie- corruptible

This means you could be forced to become a mafia against your will, but it is also fairly easy for you to become mafia intentionally. You have what it takes to do evil things, somewhere inside of you. You can murder and kill and do whatever you want, and the town will not want to lynch you for it because you're one of them. Because you're corruptible, the mafia will want to recruit you and make you one of them. Killing you is probably not on their to-do list. All you really need to worry about are townies on the vigilante path, townies on the criminal path, or serial killers.

Day Job: Manager- $400 per day

That means you earn $400 per day, which is below average. You want to earn better than average to keep up with others in the wealth race, so you might want to join some upstart corporation as CEO or CFO, that would present a significant pay increase.

Night job- unemployed
    Attribute: Sneaky- (extra 20% bonus when performing theft or murder)

Chances are, you might want to keep your options open, and play as a criminal, so you can become more skilled at stealing, dealing, and murder. You might join a mafia family, or you might remain independent. Or you could ignore your natural talents, because you want to go for the investigator path. Maybe if necessary you can become an investigator/vigilante down the road.... use your murder talents once you've found some mafia.

Alignment- lawful

Because you are lawful, no one will suspect that you're a criminal for a while. But the more you perform criminal acts, the more your alignment will be shifted from lawful to neutral, and then from neutral to criminal. If you want to go down the criminal path, you won't be forced to become mafia very cheaply for some time.

Personal Goal- Be elected Senator

This is a relatively simple goal. You have some political ambitions, and fulfilling them means you've done what you wanted to do before you die. The trouble with Senators is that they have extra voting power, which means you will be a prized addition to a mafia family. Some investigators might want to check you out. If you use your powers to affect the tally and lynch mafia, they might want to take you out.... or bribe you. In any case such a career will impact how others view you, because it is high profile. If you don't try to lynch mafia at all, you will likely be tossed out of office quickly. For you, that's not a problem because your goal is to become Senator, not remain such.

Still, you must decide if it is worth pursuing your personal goal.... obviously it factors into your points, but you could always save it for later. If you survive, and there are less people interested in being Senator, it might be an easy goal to fulfill. You could even make it your campaign slogan: "I promise to only serve one term, to complete my personal goal." I will still try to make it difficult, as several other people might have that same goal.

Strength: 3

You have an average amount of strength. If you perform dangerous tasks and fail, you will lose strength. When you get down to 1 strength, any failed dangerous task is death.
    All in all, you have areas you're interested in and things you'd probably be good at.

Townie- (incorruptible)
    Alignment- Lawful
    Day job: Chief Operations Officer- (Regal Retail Management)
    Attribute: Patient- (extra 5% bonus when performing nurse/doctor/surgeon tasks)
    Personal Goal: Become a police lieutenant

Strength: 4

Item: A.A.C. Nitro 7, turbocharged (expensive sports car)
    +10% evasion (helps avoid being killed by murder/vigilantism)

Townie- incorruptible

This means you can never become mafia. You will want to seek out and work with all other incorruptible townies. You will also become a target for the mafia to murder, because you will never join the mafia. You can only win if the town wins, so you have to try to convince people to go down lawful paths and resist the mafia's influence. You might try to bribe people to do lawful actions with you, to resist their power. If you can build a network of defenders and investigators and doctors, then you might do well.

Day Job: Chief Operations Officer- $800 per day

That means you earn $800 per day, which is higher than average. You will probably stay loyal to this company, and since you're not interested in much beyond a town victory and fulfilling your personal goals, you might just ditch the whole "wealth" concept and spend every dime you have gaining people's loyalty and keeping them down the lawful path. You might wish for your company to win the game, but you're not as interested in a corporate victory unless the town is mostly destroyed.

Night job- unemployed

You would make a particularly good doctor, and because they are in such demand, you should probably do that. However, you don't necessarily have to do this. In fact you have a goal to become a police lieutenant, so you might want to do that first.

Alignment- lawful

Because you are incorruptible, your alignment (lawful, neutral, criminal) is unimportant. Your actions will change your alignment by investigation but you will always be incorruptible. You're an idealist like that.

Personal Goal- Become a police lieutenant

This goal will take some effort to accomplish. It is also less important to you than a team victory, so you don't necessarily need to go down the roleblocker path just to accomplish a personal goal which might be a distraction from your other ambitions.

Strength: 4

You could perform dangerous tasks like theft or murder and fail, and still survive. If you become injured, your strength drops.
    So that's another role. Here's another:

Serial Killer- (corruptible)
    Alignment- Neutral
    Day job: Vice President of management- (Core Computers Limited)
    Attribute: Alert- (extra 10% bonus when avoiding night kills)
    Personal Goal: Kill a total of 3 Corporation owners or Mafia Dons.

Strength: 5

Item: Police radio scanner
    +50% anti-roleblock (helps avoid being blocked by police officers. You're also naturally less interested in dancers/strippers.)

Serial Killer- corruptible

This means you can pretend to be a mafioso. You can perform standard townie or mafia tasks in addition to your regularly scheduled serial killings.

Day Job: Vice President of management- $600 per day

That means you earn $600 per day, which is roughly average. You might use this money to bribe people into protecting you, or performing investigations for you. Or maybe to buy items off of people, or bid on items.

Night job- unemployed
    Attribute: Alert- (extra 10% bonus when avoiding night kills)

You're always going to be a serial killer, so that's what you'll be working on. However, you can take part in group activities and have them work, even if you're doing something your serial killing that night.

Alignment- neutral

You start off neutral and can attempt to do whatever you like with your alignment. You can take part in groups and change your alignment that way. You will always be corruptible and this, can join the mafia if you wish. If you're less interested in being recruited as mafia, you could take part in more lawful acts.

Personal Goal- Kill a total of 3 Corporation owners or Mafia Dons.

Just what it says. Kill heads of mafia families or corporations to make yourself nice and notorious.

Strength: 5

You will be performing dangerous tasks often, so you need to have high strength. Note that you will only lose strength as it relates to your serial killing action, not failed group actions.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

I like. :)

The great Shai-Hulud Member God Emperor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderful .. I suggest a 100 people join this game

... and ofc sorry to Romanic for the gore yet to come.. was needed
    In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces.

I have got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel

INTP

In.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Thank you for the smile, I like your image a lot. Hopefully you don't feel too much like a number here.

Rest in peace TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy
    1. I see I need to detail the politician career path and legal path a bit more
    2. I need to define what investigations reveal better.
    3. I need to define the criminal path a bit more
    Politicians

Senators

Every 3 day phases, elections are held to determine who will be the two Senators from the state of New York. The top two candidates by vote will become the new Senators. This causes their vote to be counted three times, giving them significant influence over the tally.

Senators have additional security around them, because they are elected officials. They have an additional 25% resistance to night kills.

Governor

Every 2 day phases, elections are held to determine who will be the next Governor from the state of New York. The top candidate by vote will become the new Governor. This allows them to pardon anyone they please (forces a No Lynch), or cause a double execution from a tied vote (Double Lynch) or choose between two candidates in a tied vote (Single Lynch). They can also suggest methods of execution, if they give me their method in advance. If they would like to write the execution, they can send it to me for approval; but I have creative control and I may reject their suggestion for any reason.

Governors have additional security around them, because they are elected officials. They have an additional 50% resistance to night kills.

City Councilor

Every person who collects Senatorial votes will have those votes added to their running tally. When they have collected 30 Senatorial votes over their lifetime (even from previous phases) they will be granted the title of City Councilor. This grants them they ability to do support votes.

Support votes act as a negative vote, which means that they can influence the tally by reducing the number of votes against any particular candidate, without having to suggest an alternative candidate. City Councilors have the advantage of being able to bandwagon a lynch candidate, and then quickly reverse the bandwagon if necessary.

Example: If Sigurd and Seamus are the only two voting for Sasaki, but someone reveals that Sasaki is an incorruptible doctor, and Seamus is a City Councilor, then Seamus can single-handedly reduce the amount of votes for Sasaki to zero by unvoting Sasaki and then cancelling Sigurd's vote for Sasaki with a support vote of his own. Politicians might ask for bribe money in order to perform this task, even to spare pro-town roles. If Sasaki himself were a City Councilor, he can cast a support vote for himself, negating one vote against him. The mafia will be interested in bribing their way out of a lynch.

Any former Governor or Senator is automatically granted the position of City Councilor when he leaves office.

State Senator

Every person who collects Gubernatorial votes will have those votes added to their running tally. When they have collected 30 Gubernatorial votes over their lifetime (even from previous phases) AND they have been granted the position of City Councilor (30 Senatorial votes or previous experience as Senator or Governor), they will be elected to the State Senate. This grants them the ability to do TWO support votes (but they only have one lynch vote).

A State Senator has significant influence over the vote tally. If the lynch vote is anywhere near close, a single State Senator or a pair of State Senators can upset the balance of power and allow some other candidate to get the noose, eliminating the need to petition the governor for a pardon.

State Senators have additional security around them, because they are elected officials. They have an additional 5% resistance to night kills.

Congressmen

If a person has moved up the ladder from City Councilor to State Senator, they can become Congressmen. Those who are elected to Congress can never be removed from office (just like real life! ) and they will have the power to either double-vote for a lynch or double-support-vote against a lynch.

In order to move from the State Senate to Congress, someone must Run For Congress. They must then gain at least 20 Congressional votes, or 50% of the total vote, whichever is lower.

Congressmen have additional security around them, because they are elected officials. They have an additional 15% resistance to night kills.
    Lawyers

Public Defender

At level 1, a Public Defender has a 25% chance of sparing someone from a lynch during the day, or protecting someone from investigation at night. They can only do one or the other in a given day/night cycle.

Defense Attorney

At level 2, an attorney must decide between the Defense Attorney or Prosecution attorney path. If they choose the Defense Attorney path, this person has a 50% chance of sparing someone from a lynch during the day, or protecting someone from investigation at night. They can only do one or the other in a given day/night cycle.

District Attorney

At level 3, a Defense Attorney becomes the District Attorney. This person has a 75% chance of sparing someone from a lynch during the day, or protecting someone from investigation at night. They can only do one or the other in a given day/night cycle.

Prosecutor

At level 2, an attorney must decide between the Defense Attorney or Prosecution attorney path. If they choose the Prosecution Attorney path, this person has a 50% chance of overriding defense attorneys/forcing a lynch during the day, or protecting someone from investigation at night. They can only do one or the other in a given day/night cycle.

Judge

At level 3, a Prosecution Attorney becomes the Judge. This person has a 75% chance of forcing a lynch (overriding defense attorneys, etc) during the day, or protecting someone from investigation at night. They can only do one or the other in a given day/night cycle.
    Investigations

Quote Originally Posted by Townie
    - Level 1 [Gumshoe] 50% chance of successful investigation, cannot see through inconclusive.
    - Level 2 [Private Eye] 75% chance of successful investigation, can see through inconclusive with a second scan.
    - Level 3 [Forensic Investigator] 100% chance of successful investigation, can see through inconclusive.
    First investigation:

• reveals Inconclusive, Lawful, Neutral, Criminal (alignment)
    • reveals day job

Second investigation:

• reveals Lawful, Neutral, Criminal, Incorruptible, (alignment) Neutral, Mafia, F.B.I (team affiliation)
    • reveals highest-ranked night job

Third investigation:

• reveals Lawful, Neutral, Criminal, Incorruptible, (alignment) Neutral, Mafia, Serial Killer, F.B.I (team affiliation)
    • reveals day job and all night jobs
    • reveals special roles
    Criminals

Criminal path: (Criminal)

Working with 4 others, you must successfully execute a criminal action 2 times. (Level 1) Then 2 more times (level 2) and then 2 more times (level 3).

- Level 1 [Crook] 50% chance of success doing a criminal action (theft, dealing, murder)
    - Level 2 [Thug] 75% chance of success doing a criminal action (theft, dealing, murder)
    - Level 3 [Gangster] 100% chance of success doing a criminal action (theft, dealing, murder)
    Forming your own mafia Family:

• You need at least 3 members to form a new mafia family
    • Each founding member (who is not ex-Mafia) needs to have performed 1 successful theft, 1 successful deal, and 1 successful murder. (criminal path)
    • All founding members of the family must be criminal-aligned.
    • All founding members must voluntarily join this new organization and unanimously vote someone in as the Don.
    • Before the Don can recruit new members, at least 1 member of the family must be a level 3 criminal (Gangster) or be former mafia from another family.

#Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I voted "Consider me signed up!"

Prodigy of Paarthurnax Member Skooma Addict's Avatar

Ditto ^^^ Count me in

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Long Version
    I tried planning (in my head) this type of game while back. But couldn't get it to work out, so its nice to see someone do it
    It looks great. I'll definitely try my best to join this game if time allows it.
    Curse you pizza for creating fun looking games

Short Version
    In!

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Sure WTH I'll play.

2 cute to execute Member Joooray's Avatar

If I'm around at that time, I'm most definitely IN!!

Supreme Victory, The Shadow Fort
    © Crazed Rabbit

The .org's resident pirate Member landlubber's Avatar

I'm interested, but I am a little confused. The mafia Dons can recruit, right? Do they start with any partners, or do they have to recruit them all?

The .org's resident pirate Member landlubber's Avatar

Oh, and another question: You get to choose what night job you enter, as long as you work with other people, correct? Can you change your job once you've reached level one of one job?

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Item: Antique hunting rifle
    That sounds familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by landlubber View Post
    I'm interested, but I am a little confused. The mafia Dons can recruit, right? Do they start with any partners, or do they have to recruit them all?
    They can recruit, and start with nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by landlubber View Post
    Oh, and another question: You get to choose what night job you enter, as long as you work with other people, correct? Can you change your job once you've reached level one of one job?
    You can choose what night job you enter, as long as you work with other people.

You can attempt to perform any task at any time, but if you have not reached the second level in that task (i.e. you can attempt the action by yourself now) then you must perform the task with the required number of people.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    That sounds familiar...
    Road to Ruin?

Quote Originally Posted by ATPG
    Nurse tasks?
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    Road to Ruin?
    Remember those heroic (if somewhat unsanitary) fugitives, the Three D's: Dickie, Dazzler and Delilah?

Dazzler was shot by some mean soldiers at the end of Journey to Nowhere, then Dickie got eaten by zombies whilst rummaging through a garbage can in Resident Evil.

Delilah, however, is still on the loose. If rumours are to be believed, she was last seen in the possession of some Syntech mercenaries as they fled Dark Falls in a helicopter...
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 09-07-2010 at 23:12.

Blog Entries

Never heard of them.

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    Remember those heroic (if somewhat unsanitary) fugitives, the Three D's: Dickie, Dazzler and Delilah?

Dazzler was shot by some mean soldiers at the end of Journey to Nowhere, then Dickie got eaten by zombies whilst rummaging through a garbage can in Resident Evil.

Delilah, however, is still on the loose. If rumours are to be believed, she was last seen in the possession of some Syntech mercenaries as they fled Dark Falls in a helicopter...
    Actually I just mis-remembered the name of Journey to Nowhere. It was what I tried to refer to. So I got your reference
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

If I can't get at least 70 players, I can't host it. Please sign up now, by following this LINK:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...n-ups-OPEN!%29
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Believe it or not, we may get enough players for me to host this one.

I would like to entertain suggestions from you guys....

My thought is that the money system might be a bit overcomplicated.

The thing is, I wanted there to be a battle between corporations, and for there to be some kind of incentive to have mafia and corruptible town working together on something, such that they could win together, that way there is less of an anti-mafia jihad like there was in Capo III, although there will still be plenty of folks who want to see such a thing happen.

In order for corporations to function, there needs to be a system which rewards a streamlined corporation (money goes directly to the top, fewer employees to pay) but which also rewards ambition (victory for corporation requires elimination/absorption of all other corporations, but you cannot absorb the CEOs) and makes a larger corporation harder to maintain (less money to employees at the bottom, who are interested in money, and therefore are more susceptible to being hired by a different company for better pay or for bribes.)

The system also hasn't been tested yet, and there's much math involved.

The money system also prevents the mafia from simply hiring everyone in sight as a mafioso. You need to pay your goons, after all.

I could scrap the "item" system and the "personal goals" system, to make it simpler, but frankly I wanted those in here, because that has the capability of turning every character into an interesting, non-cookie-cutter character.

Do you guys prefer a game with some depth to it, or would you rather I streamline this?
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast