Thread: Bad Company 2

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Bad Company 2

I'm going to buy this as soon as the price goes for under $40 after tax and shipping. My concern is; Does the game still have command hierarchy like in Battlefield 2? I know you can only speak to your squad, but I was wondering whether there is one guy determining where people go, what people see and who gets bombed. Also, I hope there is a way for squad leaders to speak to both their squad and commander.

I know teamspeak will fix that, but that's not the same. Thanks- I'm obsessed with buying this game, but I have to show some sort of price discipline.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad Company 2

Its a console version basically, so no. There are just squads of 4.

If you're looking for the battlefield 1942/2/2142 type of thing...play the free one (1943?) or wait for Battlefield 3. This game falls far short of the teamwork and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I have BF:BC2, but my internet connection is so bad that it confines me to playing Mass Effect 2 and Men of War.

To answer your questions: There's no commander like there was in previous games, which was a huge let down for me. Its a fun game, but not as tactical as I thought BF 2142 was. And Im sure Veho will rip me on that statement, but I stand by it.

But the gameplay is fun, exciting, and lots of explosions, worth the money. But as Pever said, it fails horrbily in the teamwork department.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I should have listened to you. The game blows. 1 hour in and I can see myself playing it once or twice more and then dropping it for chess.

EDIT: In classic reversal, the game is getting better. I looked back at my favorite games, battlefield 1942 and Arma 2 and gave them scathing reviews after 2 hour of play. The two series have proven to be some of the best wargaming franchises I've ever played. The other two obviously being Total War and IL-2 Sturmovik
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 08-07-2010 at 17:20.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BC2 is the worst BF game ever made. It is not worthy of the Battlefield Franchise.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    BC2 is the worst BF game ever made. It is not worthy of the Battlefield Franchise.
    That award should be wrapped around the neck of whoever thought 2142 or watwusit was a good idea before getting concrete shoes and a wet suit, and his family to minimalize the chance on genetic flaws. Bad Company 2 is a good game imho.
    Last edited by Fragony; 08-11-2010 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    That award should be wrapped around the neck of whoever thought 2142 or watwusit was a good idea before getting concrete shoes and a wet suit, and his family to minimalize the chance on genetic flaws. Bad Company 2 is a good game imho.
    2142 was a dumb idea, but it has solid, fun gameplay. I agree that it is not Battlefield quality, but it is not THAT bad. BC 2 on the other hand...
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    That award should be wrapped around the neck of whoever thought 2142 or watwusit was a good idea before getting concrete shoes and a wet suit, and his family to minimalize the chance on genetic flaws.
    I respectfully disagree, seeing that I clocked 162 hours with BF2142.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

AND people who liked it. Better safe than sorry

Do you mind telling me why you hate it so much? BF2142 was the last real BF game, with a command line and everything.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Do you mind telling me why you hate it so much? BF2142 was the last real BF game, with a command line and everything.
    I agree with Hooahguy. I am not a fan of the setting, and I think it was a rip-off to make it so small and limited, but it was a really fun, well done game. The first Bad Company had fantastic set of characters, good story, and great atmosphere that made it lots of fun, but it suffered from consolitis. While it had great potential, it was just not up there with the other Battlefield games.
    BC 2 on the other hand threw away everything that made BF games great and catered completely to the console crowd. It did not even have any redeeming features! It had a horrible storyline, ruined the characters, and the graphics stunk with all the BS effects they put on it!

The biggest mistake was removing the command line. Any notion of strategy/tactics when WHOOSH out the window after BF2142.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Don't like the futuristic setting, too much emphasis on vehicles, weak weapons.

Too much emphasis on vehicles? What? Then you were playing on the wrong maps. And the weapons werent weak, they were only weak in the hands of weak people.
    I personally loved the Voss and the Krylov.

And the futeristic setting is a taste issue. That doesnt make 2412 the worst BF game.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Maybe I should have given it more time to grow on me, but it all felt meh. There were also much better (imho) games to play, like B1942 ;)

Bad Company 2 has much much better gameplay other than teamwork though.

The Graphics in BF2BC are great, but it is a third rate single player game and the multi-player, while fun, has completely failed my tacticalteamworkometer. Worth the $29 because it is a better multi-player shooter than most of the other ones. BF3 had better be a sequel to BF2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ