Thread: Paradox sets up Facebook page for Crusader Kings 2; needs 25,000 fans

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Exclamation Paradox sets up Facebook page for Crusader Kings 2; needs 25,000 fans

Facebook page

Paradox forums thread

Well well, I certainly wasn't expecting this. (I'm not complaining, though!) While I find it to be irritatingly gimmicky, I'll probably jump anyway. I've heard lots of good things about the original CK, and would be very interested in a sequel.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Paradox sets up Facebook page for Crusader Kings 2; needs 25,000 fans

Gah, I thought nothing would make me join Facebook, this has me sorely tempted.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Paradox sets up Facebook page for Crusader Kings 2; needs 25,000 fans

No thanks.

Vickie 2 is on the way, that's all i care about from Paradox right now!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eu4 or bust!
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

CK was one of the most innovative releases from Paradox - playing a noble family rather than a state was, and indeed still is, just an amazing idea. The game has never received the official support that the other games did, though Johan has a soft spot for the game and worked on it in his spare time. If this is released then you can rest assured it will be an amazing game.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

Alright I read a Lets play about CK and was hooked. I got 4 friends to fan it, that's my contribution
    Micheal D'Anjou
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Bumped, as reported by Jolt in the Gaming News thread, looks like y'all got your wish.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn, you beat me to it, Monk.

Just saw an announcement in the Vicky2 section by Johan.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Bumped, as reported by Jolt in the Gaming News thread, looks like y'all got your wish.
    Hooray!!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Crusader Kings interests me. Is there anything common one could compare it to? I have no experience in Paradox games save Knights of Honor which I didn't particularly care for. I like micromanagement, but not too much. A little arcadeyness is also a plus. I don't know how to use the search function so I could do no research on the matter. TW is the limit of my strategy gaming experience, knowing this, would I be entertained? Crusader Kings 2...should I omit Crusader Kings 1? If this inquiry is irrelevant to the thread, I apologize.
    Silence is beautiful

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    Is there anything common one could compare it to?
    Nope. The closest thing I can think of is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but even then it's like comparing Gran Turismo with GTA.

I like micromanagement, but not too much. A little arcadeyness is also a plus.
    CK's combat was quite arcade. Though to be fair, it was one of the worst designed parts of the game. So long as you had the biggest army and a General with a Decent "Martial" rating, you'd win. Troop types made little difference (Though how the troop type recruitment was done is also awesome). The only thing I can remember micromanaging was trying to find a decent spouse for my ruler's children. And when I had large Empires, I was constantly bribing the vassals with least loyalty rating.

TW is the limit of my strategy gaming experience, knowing this, would I be entertained? Crusader Kings 2...should I omit Crusader Kings 1? If this inquiry is irrelevant to the thread, I apologize.
    In Paradox games, you never fight the battles. You simply control the armies (When you levy them, that is) and send them to provinces. If they encounter an enemy army in any province then they fight, which translated into the game is you checking a side tooltip as it shows you (in CK's case), the phase of the battle, the army's morale, the main general, and the remaining soldiers per troop type. Paradox's game is much more vast then simply war. In CK's case, it is about tending to your Dynasty and fief/desmesne, and watch as characters develop their personalities and clash. Obviously if those characters have power and fiefs that usually translates into wars. Then there is the religious conflicts taking place. Crusades and such. There are all sorts of realistic conflicts taking place in the game.

To give you an example, I remember in my first game, which I started as a Count in Ireland, and eventually became King of Ireland, and my second King had had two sons, the eldest had been concieved outside of the wedding lock and therefore was considered a Bastard and out of the succession order, and the youngest which was born much later (Had like 20 years of difference towards his bastard half-brother). The bastard son was imtempestive and rash and cruel. He frequently demanded to be recognized as a rightful son, but never was. Eventually he was given the right of lawful son, but the youngest one still succeeded (Can't remember why) when my King died. The young King was now like 6 years old. What happened next? The ex-Bastard brother, now being in first place in the succession order (for as long as the new King didn't have male children of his own), assassinated his young half-brother and succeeded him, becoming King of Ireland. It was pretty awesome to see the AI do that.

For instance, with the right marriages (And assassinations), you can grow from a poor backwater county into a powerful empire with your leader having several King titles on his name.

My best game was when I started with the County of Braganza. when I stopped playing, my ruler was Emperor of the Byzantine Empire, King of Portugal, León, Castille, Navarra, Aragón, Mauritania, Africa, Egypt and Jerusalem. With his capital being almighty Constantinople. One of my Kings (The maternal grand-father of the one when I stopped playing) D. Estevão I, had even been crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope himself.
    BLARGH!

Thanks for the reply. The game does indeed sound interesting and probably would appeal to my tastes. I may look into it. After Mafia II however! ;)
    Silence is beautiful

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

CK 2 is still far off into the future. I'd advise you to get CK and try it.
    BLARGH!

Methinks I will. I thought I saw it on Steam as well. Though I don't remember the price. Sounds to be an interesting concept, I have never played anything like it.

That Paradox game about the American Civil War, have you played that one? It looks interesting as well...
    Silence is beautiful

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

CK is not on Steam, it's on Gamersgate. It was half price recently, surprised they didn't do an offer to tie in with the announcement.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DDB-CKDV...omplete-bundle

The Civil War game is on GG as well, though I haven't played it. It does seem interesting and I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who's played it. I've been looking at it for ages and never taken the plunge.