Thread: Windows Vista/7 resolution problems (800x600 bug)

Post Windows Vista/7 resolution problems (800x600 bug)

Note this is an untested solution, use entirely at your own risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Learnin View Post
    I had the same problem in both Vista and Win 7 of only having 800 x 600 in the Strategy map and 640 x 480 in the Battle map.

A fix I found that worked with a GTX 280, GTX 295 and an HD 4870 X2 is:

Got to All Programs open the Accessories folder click on Run type MSCONFIG in the pop up window and click OK. If Windows asks for permission click Continue. In the new pop up window select the Boot tab and click on the Advanced options... button and in the new little pop up window click the tiny box by Maximum memory: Whatever the number in the box here change it to 2560 then click OK. Click Apply on the remaining window then a small pop up asking you to restart PC should remain, click Yes. You should now be able to play both Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War with all resolutions available.

To revert your system to normal you have to uncheck the box in the Advanced options... , Maximum Memory: click OK then select the General tab and click the little round button beside Normal startup Load all device drivers and services then click Apply and then click Yes when asked to restart the system.

What you are doing here is only allowing the system to let the games software see an amount of RAM it is programmed to understand, or so I believe, thus preventing it from defaulting to minimum specs. If the number 2560 does not work for you in the Maximum memory box try 2048. I just found on my rigs 2560 was the highest amount I could go and still get all the resolutions.

I also found that with the HD 4870 X2 I had to disable AI in the ATI Catalyst Control center or I was getting a split screen effect.

Good Luck!
    Original post: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...=1#post2487509

Many thanks to Just Learnin for this. Please test and post your results.

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Windows Vista/7 resolution problems (800x600 bug)

it worked with me, but instead of putting 2560, i suggest putting your computer maximum number, mine was 4650, you can see what your computer number is when you first open the box there will be a grayed out number in there, put that instead.

Senior Member Senior Member Kas's Avatar

I have Vista and a GTX 280...my max number is close to 4000, but still can't change the resolution. ah well.
    On Steam: Kas

JoJoSan, can you forgive me?

Try other values such as 2000. The change is reversible and won't cause any harm. I've actually tried as low as 128 under Windows XP, but I wouldn't recommend anything lower than about 1000 for Vista/7.

Senior Member Senior Member Kas's Avatar

Ok! I'll try...thanks!
    On Steam: Kas

JoJoSan, can you forgive me?

your fix for the resolution is awesome. Thank you so much.Once again, the fine folks at the Org. come through again.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpa View Post
    your fix for the resolution is awesome. Thank you so much.Once again, the fine folks at the Org. come through again.
    Thanks, glad it worked for you!

My system has 6GB of RAM and ATI Radeon HD 550V with 1 GB VRAM. STW/MTW only takes numbers from 2048 to 2560. It worked for STW/MTW, but doesn't help with other games. With 2.5GB of RAM enable, system will only have about 0.7 to 1 GB available. Luckily, the change and reboot is fast enough.

I probably have to go ahead with rebuild a dedicated system for old games. I recently bought a brand new socket 478 MB for only $40. I still have a couple P4s 2.8-3GB, some good ram, a few AGP video cards ranging from MX440 to 7800gt, plenty of HD and CD/DVD drives, even a floppy drive.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

New member Sepheus has written a small DirectDraw wrapper that returns 2GB on system calls for memory size, download link and discussion can be found here. It's a cleaner fix that works for MTW, and might work for STW as well. Give it a try, and let us know how it goes.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

That's great for me!
    Thanks for sharing!

I had this strange thing happening. I recently upgraded the ram on one of my laptops that was running STW Gold Edition. Upgraded from 4gb to 8gb, running
    64-bit win 7 and an Ati card.

Until then I have used the msconfig memory fix to reduce system mem. When I started STW today with all the 8gb in system I could suddenly run the game in 1024x768 res.
    I was really wondering what did this. I came to the conclusion that it was not any newly installed drivers that made this happen.
    Went into msconfig again and reduced the ram to 4gb to check if the situation would be the same. Started the game and it could not run in 800x600.

So I have this: I actually got the resolution problem fixed by upgrading the ram to 8gb. The solution also applied to Medieval Total War that had the same issue.
    Last edited by Edorf74; 11-27-2012 at 02:26.

try this https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053534919
    it fixed my resolution problem and the menu bug.

I'm new here,but i have been reading this thread with great interest,i also have problems running Shogun Total war,the error message i get is this SHOG_CCP has stopped working,it then gives you the option of closing the window and you get back to your desktop,i have a new Windows 8 laptop,ok i know this is an old game,but its a good one,and at my age i don't really play all the other games,but this is one of my favorites and i would love to play it again,so im hoping someone here has got a quick cure for this game so that i can have endless hours of fun once again,I actually found this site by accident,i have posted on many other sites and got nothing back,so im hoping that this one is different,Am i wrong in thinking that PC games have an expiry date,as each time we upgrade our operating systems it gets harder to get these games to play,surely the makers of these games would be are of this problem and bring out a fix for it,I had this same problem with all my command and conquer games till my son bought a new copy that enables you to download the games from the internet,and i can now play them again,but i would love to be able to play Shogun as well,so please could someone help me with this problem...

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

surely the makers of these games would be are of this problem and bring out a fix for it
    To this point, CA has no intention of updating the game to allow it to be played on modern rigs. That may change in the future, but I doubt it given the current business climate for the industry.

I do not run WinVista/Win7 on my machine so I cannot answer your question directly. But what I have done is to partition my HD and installed Win98 on one partition (some very old games I have will not even play on WinXP), and WinXP on another. I can configure most of the important video parameters through my video card to run a particular game and that allows me to play Shogun on my WinXP partition.

I only have a single problem running Shogun on WinXP this way, and that is I cannot use the game menu to exit the game or it freezes the computer. I can Alt-Tab to desktop, and then use the Process Manager to close the game. Otherwise, it runs perfectly.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 05-02-2014 at 14:37.
    High Plains Drifter

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I don't know of anyone who has gotten Med1 to run on Windows 8, so the odds of Shogun working are pretty slim. Both will run on Vista or 7 (with a little tweaking), assuming you aren't running with an Intel graphics adapter.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur