Thread: Dr Ranajit Pal???

Default Dr Ranajit Pal???

Hey there, long time no see, people. This is a historical question, so if this is in the wrong place, let me know.

I recently came about a theory that Diodotus of Bactria (Soter), and the great Asoka of India are the same person. I find this mind-boggling at the least, but I am treating this with a a high degree of suspicion until I find out more about the author of these claims, Dr. Ranajit Pal. Anyone know anything about either the theory or the good doctor?

Thanks again,

CHE

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Dr Ranajit Pal???

Quote Originally Posted by Che Roriniho View Post
    Hey there, long time no see, people. This is a historical question, so if this is in the wrong place, let me know.

I recently came about a theory that Diodotus of Bactria (Soter), and the great Asoka of India are the same person. I find this mind-boggling at the least, but I am treating this with a a high degree of suspicion until I find out more about the author of these claims, Dr. Ranajit Pal. Anyone know anything about either the theory or the good doctor?

CHE

you would have to explain why Asoka is described as coming from an Indian family, while Diodotos is Greek or Makedonian.

that, and Asoka was in places where Diodotos wasn't (e.g. east India), and vice versa (e.g northern Baktria). then there are the differing reign length iirc.

but yeah, a historian will have to clarify.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Varangarchos ton Romaioktonon Member Hannibal Khan the Great's Avatar

Great, so now Baktria gets all its Indian provinces from the start?
    from Megas Methuselah for helping with city names from Hooahguy for my sig

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

It's a conspiracy!
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Apart from that, Diodotos never converted to Buddhism during his lifetime, as far as I know. Also, the Edicts of Asoka clearly speak about Asoka, not one "Diodotos".
    This space intentionally left blank.

This makes me think of that Russian professor who claims that Russia actually ruled the whole world during most of human history, but that history was then rewritten by the Western nations.

It was in a thread here on the .org I've read about him. An old thread; 2 years old or so...
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 06-21-2010 at 10:52.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Where did you read this theory?

I'd quite like to have a look at it myself.

I would also like to read this

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Near the bottom of Wikipedia's GBK independence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-B...ound_250_BC.29

5th paragraph of this: http://bmcr.brynmawr.edu/2007/2007-12-39.html

His theory on his own website.
    This space intentionally left blank.

One of those BS history-conspiracy theories on the same level of:
    Neo-Nazi bs like "Nordic Caucasians are responsible for Egyptian, Sinitic, Dravidian, etc civilization"
    or Afro-centric bs like "Egyptians, Celts, and the Shang Dynasty were sub-Saharan Africans, etc"
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Lost between books & coins Member DeathFinger's Avatar

Wow.... I've not read his book but...

At first sight, no Mauryan king are known to have struck coins with their name. Their coins were all punch-marked ones, in karshapana weight; so this argument is not.
    And Devanam (piya) is not really equal to Sôter. Even if it was, we have two Diodotos, one Theos, the first, and one Sôter, his son. This is at least attested by the Euthydemos commemorative coinage.
    And not refering to Diodotos... is it an argument? It's pretty uneasy to made argument ex silentio, especially when this Diodotos wasn't recognize by his greek neighbours like a king, just an usurper. We even must know the exact date of those Edicts referring to Greeks before beeing tempted to take this argument...

As I say, I'm giving this theory a significant level of suspicion, but it would explain some aspects, although more from the Mauryan side of thinmgs, as opposed to the baktrians. Before Ashoka came to power, he was sent to deal with some rebelling greeks in the north west of his kingdom, and if he was known as a friend of the greeks, that would explain why he didn't need to use any force to stop the rebellion.
    seluceaus I, I believe had a 'marriage agreement' or something (It was mentioned in a wikipedia article, so I'll need to double check the date) with the mauryans, so this could, in theory, be Ashoka's mother. It is far-fetched, but it would, to ean extent, explain why the early GBK is shrouided in such mystery.

I don't quite agree here, as the majority of his theories (AFAIK) are, whilst slightly sensational, they don't massively change the history of the world, they just provide more detail.. It's because of this I am not dismissing him out of hand.

The question still stands though, what is his acedemic reputation like?

Anyone?

Haven't read it I don't see much that gives me confidence. For example, from the Bryn Mawr Classical Review:
    It sheds a new light on him and his supposed cruelty or whims. The text also highlights how Indology could help in the study of the history of the Hellenistic period. However, the absence of an index is an irritant. Also, credit for the pictures and maps is not given. A bibliography would have greatly enhanced the value of the book. Finally, for Western readers whose familiarity with the Indian texts is inadequate, a prosopography or an index of kings and generals named differently in the Graeco-Latin and in the Indian sources would have been very useful.
    So no index, lack of credit for works, and no bibliography? Sounds like quackery to me.

And it doesn't seem like he's done enough to be well known in the community.

I don't quite agree here, as the majority of his theories (AFAIK) are, whilst slightly sensational, they don't massively change the history of the world, they just provide more detail.. It's because of this I am not dismissing him out of hand.
    Well, not of the world, but they massively change the history of the region. You have to expect me to believe that Asoka was Diodotos I, who had to cover his semi-independence from the Seleukids by some clever iconography on his coinage while simultaneously conquering much of India? Then, he passed on his incredibly powerful kingdom to his son, which was usurped by Eumenes, who then had his ass handed to himself by Antiochos III?

So you would see why I'm skeptical.

Fair call. And thanks very much, you saved me quite a embarrassing boob in my IB Extended Essay. Incidently, what recent authors other than Frank Holt do you recommend for the Early Greco-Bactrians?

no, thats just a wacky propaganda

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fulminatrix View Post
    no, thats just a wacky propaganda
    just like anything from John Ruben, and his "crow-knees".

@ Che: I wish I could help; however, I do suggest you look up the Wikipedia article, and simply see what sources the website cites for the information; then, use the links and ISBN numbers to hunt down those sources, and go from there.*

*I do NOT recommend using the Wikipedia article itself; I only go there to look up the sources, and do my own research.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 07-08-2010 at 03:35.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Fair call. And thanks very much, you saved me quite a embarrassing boob in my IB Extended Essay. Incidently, what recent authors other than Frank Holt do you recommend for the Early Greco-Bactrians?
    Good question. Holt is the best I can think of. There are older historians such as Tarn, but so much has happened in the last century with archaeology that it might no longer be relevant. There have been writings by Greek historians, but I worry too much about nationalism creeping in and causing a skewed view of history.