Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TWCenter site down - team post here

Default Re: TWCenter site down - team post here

Oh ya, forgot about that, I knew there was something.
    On it right now.

All factions can use the rhomphaiophoroi
    Modeller and skinner for Roma Surrectum

Which unit is it exactly? (EDU name?)

What's al this about TWC being dead? is it? if so :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    Which unit is it exactly? (EDU name?)
    I wouldn't know what they are called now after Tone added the Rhompharoi, but the Daoi is called Thraikan Elite Falxmen in the MP EDU and they are using the Rhompharoi skin, but have the correct unit card.

Ok, I see now, I've uploaded the thing, could you make sure it is ok please?

Carthage, rtw-bi, h / h
    0-turns
    565 A.U.C.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

battle

575 A.U.C.

battle

580 A.U.C.

battle

595 A.U.C

605 A.U.C

625 A.U.C

@ galvanized iron... I wanted to say this in twcenter but you know... anyway that unit's name you couldn't pronounce is Rhomphaiophoroi in Greek and the equivalent in the Latin alphabet would be Romfaioforoi (Ancient Greek) and Romfeofori (Modern Greek)... (Italian sounds)
    alea iacta est

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    Ok, I see now, I've uploaded the thing, could you make sure it is ok please?
    The Rhomphaiophoroi are now present in the roster, but the Daoi still use same skin as the Rhomphaiophoroi.

Tony (Tone):

Dani (Aristotle's Folly) here. I got the request to test the Rome rebellion script and I hit it pretty hard over the weekend. How much info do you want and what would be useful? Per the last time I was beta testing, I don't want to post on issues that are considered "resolved" (such as economy, gameplay balance, etc.) I've tested the opening rebellion script with several starts on a variety of difficulties.

I found a couple of battle map "bugs" but they may need pictures. There is a building next to the square in Genoa (it's the only building right next to the square). Units can run through it. Units can also march through some rocks.

And you have two romans with the same name at the start of the game, on the campaign map. Father and son? One is Emporia and the other is the teenager in Sicily.

Please let me know how I can be of the best use.

GGD

I thought the Romfaioforoi was supposed to have a spearlike primary attack and another secondary attack, but the one in the files only got a primary attack

but the Daoi still use same skin as the Rhomphaiophoroi
    tone, are the daoi elite infantry {thraikan_elite_falxmen} and the Elite Thraikan Rhomphaiophoroi {thraikan_falxman} not available for the same faction? The two units are sharing the same model, and none is a mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    @Naked Fanatic - You're not running the script on reload...that's the advisor is sitting there and why you're able to accumulate more wealth and why the other factions seems weaker. You need to click the advisor when you reload the campaign. Sorry, it's not as easy as that!
    Could you please explain me, how the script works? I have no idea I have to click on it Maybe it will be good to add text to the advisor. Something like - click me. Im sure the will be a lot of players who wont know why the advisor is always trying to tell them something.

@Galv / PAedric
    OK, they shouldn't be sharing the same model - they aren't in the single player game anyway, but things probably haven't got updated in your multiplayer EDU yet. This is how things are:

Bastarnae (EDU name: bastarnae) and Daoi elite infantry (EDU name = thraikan elite falxmen) share the bastarnae model
    Rhomphaiophoroi (EDU name: thraikan falxman) uses the thraikan falxman model

Basically if you want to update the multiplayer files (EDU and DMB) just take a look at the single player ones for guidance.

@Dani:
    Thanks.....I think the main thing with the rebellion is to do three things:
    1) Check the number and strength of initial rebel legions is right - are there enough armies and are they strong enough opposition?
    2) Are the settlement garrisons strong enough?
    3) Are the finances right for a) the player and b) the rebels? - do the rebels start spawning further legions? is it financially right - not too much into debt and not too much money...ideally the player should have very limited resources to see them through the crisis.

I've just updated the script with stronger rebel legions (silver armour and weapons).

There are one or two buildings bugs and I'm aware that units can move through some rocks - there's no way of handling that ideally - you can reduce the size of the rocks and they look puny, you can increase the size of the collision area around them but then you run into unit formation issues....hopefully you can live with this?

The names shouldn't be an issue as we have multiple instances of the same "visible" name using different "hidden" names (to avoid CTDs and confusion of the game engine) as there were so few praenomina in use then.

@Naked fanatic - the script works by clicking on the adviser - it controls finances, rebellions, spawned armies.

@pkka - Carthage looks pretty well balanced?
    Last edited by tonyw; 07-06-2010 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Fanatic View Post
    Could you please explain me, how the script works? I have no idea I have to click on it Maybe it will be good to add text to the advisor. Something like - click me. Im sure the will be a lot of players who wont know why the advisor is always trying to tell them something.
    I run a silent advisor, so when I reload a campaign, I click on any city and the advisor appears. Click on her and the script is running. I believe you even get a message that says "RS script running." Anything you do before you click on the advisor is "unscripted" and, obviously, anything you do after is scripted. At least that's how it works on my machine. :)

Quote Originally Posted by GothGirlDanielle View Post
    I run a silent advisor, so when I reload a campaign, I click on any city and the advisor appears. Click on her and the script is running. I believe you even get a message that says "RS script running." Anything you do before you click on the advisor is "unscripted" and, obviously, anything you do after is scripted. At least that's how it works on my machine. :)
    A good way to know if the script is running is that you will get 1 denario when it activates.
    Btw great to see you again.

Yeah, if you don't see 1 denarius added, it's not working.

Thanks tone, I was looking at them, but I must have missed something.
    Anyway, this is set as in the "normal" settings.

Ok Paedric, I did as Tony said and put them as Bastarnae soldiers and it gave them their proper skin (tho with red hats instead of brown like bastarnae). So I will rework the stats and then PM you the file Paedric.

ON THE REBELLION:

Firstly:

Who am i? Ceasar in this or the senate, i assume i was the senate but then i found a general on my side going by ceasar so that kind of confused me.

Secondly:

I think messages would be helpful:

Before hand warning the player of ceasars uprising

When it happens

and then if you win

Thirdly:

Think the player should have to take rome back with in a given time or loose their named legions. Without rome and most of central italy they would slowly loose their culture and i think this should be shown in a slow break down of both roman society and armies. They keep the first legions but loose the named legions. Just so it spurs the player on to take back rome as fast as they can.

Fourthly:

I think the rebels put up a good fight i lost 2 men for every one of theres so far. And the only reason why i have started to do reasonably well is becaus ei managed to take italy quickly. So their troops are definitely good in my opinion, however i havent noticed them creating any yet.

Also you forget that you are at war with other factions i have lost many regions to Galleci Egypt Boii and Cimbri. The civil war has already done its damage in different ways, and to rebulild my army to its current strength i predict it will take at least 15 years.

Overall i think it has gone reasonably well and it kept me on the edge of my seat worrying for a couple of turns on how i would get out of it, it could be made a little more difficult, but i dont think it would be wise too make it too difficult, as i think many players will find that the war will do enough damge as it will weaken their borders allowing other factions to take advantage like in my case.

Will put up a more detailed report with pics tomorrow, dont have the time currently sorry just thought i would get my points across.
    ROMA SURRECTUM II BETA_TESTER

"@Dani:
    Thanks.....I think the main thing with the rebellion is to do three things:
    1) Check the number and strength of initial rebel legions is right - are there enough armies and are they strong enough opposition?
    2) Are the settlement garrisons strong enough?
    3) Are the finances right for a) the player and b) the rebels? - do the rebels start spawning further legions? is it financially right - not too much into debt and not too much money...ideally the player should have very limited resources to see them through the crisis."

By the rebellion, I assume you mean the rebellion that starts at turn 3 or 4? Tested this with 6 different starts, four on H/H, two on M/H. Trying to get a feel for how to efficiently start the game.

In general, my games go like this:

Carthage takes Arritium and Ariminum with ease. I use Nepos to weaken Hannibal's army (I've never actually defeated him). Carthage seems to raise new units from Genoa, but not a lot. In every game, no armies spawn when I take Genoa.

Around turn 3 or 4, I get the rebellion notice. In six games, rebellions occurred three times at the notice and twice afterwards. In one game, they never occurred at all. I think the factor there was my saving the game after I got the notice and then not starting the script right when I resumed the game.

The rebellions occur in different cities. In general, one full army spawns, with double chevrons and silver shields. There may be two but it seems as if only one is the "tough" army (maybe I'm wrong?) Croton is one city that usually always goes rebel, with Rhegium and Cannae being common. Two cities go rebel.

Once Capua went and that was a real challenge: Capua goes rebel, the tough army spawns right next to it, and two turns later it lays siege to Rome, despite the fact that I have a full legion in the city. My legion (copper shields, two chevrons) lost. Rebels take Rome and, with it, my primary resource for building armies.

I was stunned. You should be proud, that's the first time I've ever, ever lost Rome in any RTW game anywhere.

My strategy is usually to let the Rebels take as much of southern Italy as they want, as they don't seem to raise armies - other than those that spawn. If they do, there not raising very many. My usual strategy is to kick Carthage out of the north, taking Genoa. I raise three full armies or legions, but this runs my treasury into the ground. It takes three legions to put down the rebels in the south, attacking from two points and splitting the enemy.

On H/H, it's a real challenge to me. I know there are other players out there who are better and might find it easier. I can always play on medium (and I'm not the least bit ashamed to do so ).

The settlement garrisons: usually there's one or two "strong garrisons" (remember, I let the rebels take four or five cities) and often on or two others with just one unit garrisoned in the city. I lay siege and the AI attacks. I fight a defensive battle and usually win.

Money: I have enough to build three legions. Because I know history, I don't fight a two front war. I kick Carthage out and then focus on the Rebels. Except for one turn, maybe two, I always money. Maybe not enough to build every building I want, but 15-30k per turn, depending upon how many of the southern cities the Rebels have taken.

It's hard to tell how much money the rebels have, but they don't seem to building lots of armies. Me, personally, I like the first few turns to be a challenge and they could even be harder. As it is, it's such a magnificent improvement over the version I playtested back in April.

"I've just updated the script with stronger rebel legions (silver armour and weapons)."

Looks like I'll be playing on medium.

"There are one or two buildings bugs and I'm aware that units can move through some rocks - there's no way of handling that ideally - you can reduce the size of the rocks and they look puny, you can increase the size of the collision area around them but then you run into unit formation issues....hopefully you can live with this?"

I can and quite easily. I figure at this point, I'll tell if you I see something outta place and you can just tell me to ignore it. That's better than releasing it and having you say, "Why didn't someone tell me about this?"

"The names shouldn't be an issue as we have multiple instances of the same "visible" name using different "hidden" names (to avoid CTDs and confusion of the game engine) as there were so few praenomina in use then."

Again, it's okay. I actually thought father and son, makes for a nice bit of roleplay. Just letting you know.

Apple: "Btw great to see you again."

Likewise. I just got back from a four week internship at the Freer Gallery of Art at the Smithsonian Museum. No money, long hours, bad food. Greatest four weeks of my life.

~ Dani ~

Nice report there, but no, it is not the rebellion tone was talking about.
    We're now testing the big one, which happens when the player owns 8 settlements.

There was a save-game that was lying around at TWC, however I think someone here has it.

Likewise. I just got back from a four week internship at the Freer Gallery of Art at the Smithsonian Museum. No money, long hours, bad food. Greatest four weeks of my life.
    Seems like it was interesting. Welcome back.

@Danni - thanks for the feedback, your insights are always helpful. I should have explained though, what I'm talking about is the big rebellion after the player owns around 85 settlements, and thinking about this, you need Alex.exe to be able to play the save game that was kicking around on the TWC site just before it died. If you've got it, I wonder whether someone could upload and post a link to the savegame? If not then just keep playing if you are able to.

If anyone has an advanced near late stage rebellion using BI.exe or RTW.exe, could they upload it please?

@Paedric - you mean 85 settlements, not 8

Good news, TWC should be back in about one day.

Ouch. So sorry. And I can't see an edit function on this board to allow me to delete my post. Eggghh.

~ Dan ~

What do you class as late rebellion i am about half way through on bi if you want me to upload it and tell me how to do upload the file?

@dan, why should you do that? Your post is interesting, and can help with balance, there is no problem with it.

@beast, the late rebellion is when you lost something like half your empire to the rebel (blue).

Ye i have i posted early on just before danis post about some of the situations and overall how it was going, so how would i upload my save, i have taken back most of italy now and regained some economic stability, probably about 6 or 7 turns past the beginning of the rebellion. If you want the save you can have it, also i have a save from when the rebellion actually started if you want that too.?

Yes please, the one before the rebellion.

How doi do that then, do i need to upload it on some other site, never uploaded a file, and where would i find the file in the rome folders.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the situation :)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast