Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Default Re: World of Tanks

Merged.

Glad you like it Sigurd and they do indeed have a system where you can buy gold for some advantages, the base game is free to play however.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Merged.

Glad you like it Sigurd and they do indeed have a system where you can buy gold for some advantages, the base game is free to play however.
    Right.. but you need gold for some stuff right? Like freeing up experience points on tin-boxes that has reached elite status.
    My question is, how do you get gold in the released version? Will it trickle in like it does in the beta (150 a day)?
    edit: it says in the FAQ that you buy gold for real money.

And you need to have a premium account to start clans or teams.
    It says in the FAQ that the Clan system will be opened with the open beta. Anyone planning to check this out?
    Last edited by Sigurd; 01-28-2011 at 13:26.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Right.. but you need gold for some stuff right? Like freeing up experience points on tin-boxes that has reached elite status.
    My question is, how do you get gold in the released version? Will it trickle in like it does in the beta (150 a day)?
    No, of course you will pay for gold with real money.
    To free experience you will indeed need gold but it's not necessary to get all the standard tanks.
    If the game will be fun and have enough content I'm willing to spend some money on it, support the developers, but also depends on my finances.
    I don't plan on buying gold for the better premium ammo though.

To free experience you will indeed need gold but it's not necessary to get all the standard tanks.
    But you will have to follow a line in the tech-tree, right? To end up with the tank you want.
    Like me - I want a PzVI (Tiger) and the tech-three line goes through PzII -> PzIII Ausf.A -> PzIII -> PzIV -> VK3601(H) -> PzVI.
    Had I chosen the Pz35 after the tin tractor, I would have ended up with tank destroyers.
    Status Emeritus

Ok... I noticed the full release tech-tree which gives you more than one road to glory.
    Status Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

This is a really fun little game. I've only just managed to get out of the MS-1, and so far the T-26 is pretty awful, however being that the KV series are my favorite ww2 tanks I'm holding out till then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi View Post
    This is a really fun little game. I've only just managed to get out of the MS-1, and so far the T-26 is pretty awful, however being that the KV series are my favorite ww2 tanks I'm holding out till then.
    Save your gold and get the T-14. Being tired having no progress in the PzIII Aus, I decided to fork out the 1500 gold and get a heavy tank.
    I also had some to spare and trained the driver.
    The world of Heavies are amazing, and you are still able to party with the same group as the PzIII Aus, but this time you are in the top spots (assuming the list of players are listed in a best to worst order).
    The tank is slow compared to the "lights" but it can take a real beating. I was in a "melee" with a VK3xxx(H) and won hands down. But having a T14 will also put you into a fight with IS3/TigerII/JagdPanther/Ferdinand type tanks, where you are in the middle of the list. You will only be scraping paint off them, but you still get lots of experience and credits. I got around 17000 credits in on of those battles, and I only took out one medium total.
    Status Emeritus

Anyone still playing this game?
    Status Emeritus

Anyone still playing this game?
    I've had an exam today and got another one on Thursday, so I better not play this game.

I've had an exam today and got another one on Thursday, so I better not play this game.
    Hope you excelled and that you likewise do on Thursday.

Excuse me while I get into my upgraded PzIV long barrel and reap the last XP to get a VK3601(H). I am nearly reaching the point where my tin cans are becoming better than my 1500 gold T14. The T14 is good to have for getting additional credits while waiting for your PzIV to become available after being rolled over by a IS or a TigerII or my archenemy the SU-152. Their hides are just too thick for my longrange 75mm and they take me out with one shot.
    Status Emeritus

Protecting the border fort Member Chimpyang's Avatar

I love the long 7.5cm barrel....allows me to consistently penetrate T1's....I run into a corner when an IS or Tiger comes a rolling.....

I still have my PzIIIA - I love the blooming thing, I used gold to make the Driver 100% and all the other crew are at 90+% too, so I can literally drive circles whilst a Panzer III or IV struggles to turn its turret on me, whilst I shoot off round after round of low damage shells into weak spots. People underestimate the power of the light but fragile tank. Managed 7 kills in Himmelsdorf the other day, despite being only in the lower middle of the list. Just drove around swerving like a madman around all the AT guns and arty, surprised a lot of them with how quickly i can run away when the heavies took and interest too!

I plan on also keeping my IV, a good complementary tank to play with my friend's full upgraded KV-1.

My only problem with the game is that it is very frustrating in tiers 2-5, the arty you end up facing is waaaaay too powerful and far too easy to use. But once you get to the heavy tanks, which might merit a bloody huge shell landing on it, arty disappears again...

Yep, the KwK 42 L/70 is good on the PzIV. That setup is my moneymaking rig. Well that one and my T14. The credit ratio is almost always 10 000 plus, since the expenses on ammo and reparations are quite cheap.

My top rig right now is a VK3601 (H) with the KwK 36 L/56 (88mm) which is ok... The ammo does cost alot though and on average I seldom earn much with it. maybe 500 - 1500 in the plus.
    A much better gun for this rig is the 7.5 cm KwK 41 L/58 konisch - but the temptation of using "gold ammo" is too great. with 225mm penetration and 165 damage it can take out most rigs.
    I only play it to get to the PzVI Tiger I... Which will be a while since I need 1,256,700 credits to buy it, in addition to around 45 000 xp to research it.
    Status Emeritus

I got my PzVI last night... What a difference!!! I played one game with it before racking out. Even as vanilla I had no trouble playing cat 'n mouse with a Ferdinand (must have been vanilla too). Just need a few more credits to get the first canon upgrade. Can't run around in a Tiger with a 75mm. That's just not right...

I had to cheat to get it. Too much gold on hand led me to try out the premium account - and the xp and credits started flowing in resulting in the necessary amounts being reached quickly.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 02-23-2011 at 09:39.
    Status Emeritus

I had to cheat to get it. Too much gold on hand led me to try out the premium account - and the xp and credits started flowing in resulting in the necessary amounts being reached quickly.
    That's not cheating, I've had a premium account for months once the beta-gold started flowing en masse. It's more or less necessary to just earn the upkeep for some of the higher end tanks.

Blog Entries

I've been playing around with my KV lately, finally got the tier 6 Cannon... does major damage (can take out a T-14 with one well place shot or take a Tiger II down to 50% in one shot) Problem with that is it's slow as mud to reload, and I absolutely hate when a shot doesn't penetrate and you have to wait 30 seconds to reload. Aaargh! Still loads of fun to play with, and against lower tiered tanks I've pretty much dominated every battle. Hard to compete with the guy that can take you out in one hit, although it makes you appreciate the aspect of heavies in that you need to rely on your armor much more so than any other class.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Maxi, are you referring to the 152mm HE gun or the 107mm AP? The former is nasty in urban combat - I got two shot in my Jagdpanther once because the first shot knocked out my gun and tracks, then the second delivered the coup de grace.

Blog Entries

The 152mm HE... it's a great gun, but not if you're impatient.

And very, very bad if you find yourself alone in a wide open area.
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 02-25-2011 at 04:01.

I can't put this game down...
    Spent a few hours this weekend in my PzIV and got enough XP to get the Hummel (SPG). I must say. New respect for the Arties. I spent a little gold training my commander, gunner and one loader and silver trained the rest. Playing artillery is a whole new game - and a fun one at that.

5 kills yesterday on Pagorki and Desert. Man it is satisfactory to take out a tank in hiding with one shot of my 150 mm/950 damage gun. Finally: People need to protect their arties. One medium slipping through the lines is enough.

Reminds me of a game in my PzIV when I circumvented the city in Ensk and took out all 4 enemy arties in one run (one shot each). I bet that was sour for those guys.
    Status Emeritus

Blog Entries

The new patch made some improvements, but it's still far from balanced. Either way, I've had some fun tearing it up in my KV-3, but because this is a slow tank it's ideally suited for defense. Once I get into the IS's, I'm thinking play style is going to make a major change.

Got a IS yet? I am quite happy with my King Tiger - even if it is a credit eater.

I lose a game but due to my "skillz" and premium account I get around 20 000 credits, looks at the repair cost : 11 000, and think - not so bad after all. That is until I actually do the repairs and discover the prize is actually 27 000 credits.
    WHAT!!?? - a natural reaction as in RL if you were presented with such atrocities at the car repair shop. I am wondering if I am going to continue playing after the release. It is fun and all that in the beginning, but with the BIG GUNS and their costly repairs and ammo - you will spend money on the game, even though it is supposed to be free.
    A brilliant game, but the financial concept is mafia like. They are counting on people getting addicted and will not be able to let go of their "prices".
    Status Emeritus

Well, the ammunition for the bigger King Tiger guns is quite expensive, I think that's what's eating up all your credits.

The game is also scheduled to go live on April 12th IIRC.

just trying to strike a conversation...

Oh and... at what time do you stop getting the next tank? Depending on how much you guys play when do you say - This is it. This is the tank I am going to hone. Spending credits on modules etc...

I have with every new tank - got a new crew and gold trained them. Never tried to re-school a crew from a previous tank.
    I have followed one tech-line with just one expansion into another from a higher level (Hummel) and have as soon as I have been able moved to the next available tank (this being a beta after all).

I really like my artillery vehicle. It is just sweet on big open maps. Getting 6 kills and the topgun hero mark in an artillery pice just puts a smile on your face.
    Status Emeritus

I had a fun game yesterday right after work, before I went home. What bugs me is that, I cant remember if I played with a premium account. I know I had to "buy" one yesterday.
    I was the über tank in that game and after I got rid of the T32, it was a cake walk. My experience points from that game is ... kinda low. I have had games where I didn't kill a single tank and still had experience points doubling that of this game.
    So.. conclusion would be that you get more points damaging higher tier tanks than lower tiers?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Status Emeritus

Yup, that's correct. You also get more XP for doing damage at close range than at long range.

Blog Entries

Yes, I've gotten the IS-3 so far. Although I still play around in the KV (Even Pzkfw III Aus.) low tier matches are good fun!

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Can someone explain what the game is about? Strategy, action game? A comparison with another game maybe... Is it really free to play or you find out you're at a huge disadvantage if you don't buy in-game stuff with real world money?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Can someone explain what the game is about? Strategy, action game? A comparison with another game maybe... Is it really free to play or you find out you're at a huge disadvantage if you don't buy in-game stuff with real world money?
    Skill-based action game (but with a good dose of tactical possibilities on top of just hot tank-on-tank action). In-battle the pay for stuff gives you only a marginal advantage, certainly not worth it. However, buying a "premium" account (I forget what the price will be) slows down the grind to go up the tank ladder.

There will also be some sort of strategic clan-based metagame in the future, but I don't think we know all that much about it.

Did you guys see the prices they have put out for pre-ordering the game?
    €75 for 25000 gold and a premium Heavy Tank (M6A2E1)
    €56 for 18700 gold and a premium Medium Tank (PzV/IV)
    €32 for 12500 gold and a premium Light Tank (A32)

I mean come on... I have spent a bit of gold in the beta and it would be in the range of somewhere between the medium and light accounts.
    That is pretty steep for a online game...
    Status Emeritus

I have, and I don't intend to buy any of these packages.
    Although they do get you quite a few months of premium.
    Problem is just that it may not have enough game modes yet to get you hooked for so many months, could leave some of the gold for later of course but it still seems like a risky investment at this point.

Laughable. I wonder how the prices stack up versus those for the Russian players?

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast