Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Default Re: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Isn't the team from Belarus?

Anyway, I hate these set-ups, it's free but it really isn't...

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

This is just a great game... even without the gold. The new update on the EU server is out.
    Somehow the graphics are better.
    There are new sounds, maps, redesign of maps, minimap and the ability to move destroyed tanks.

I am grinding my way up again. Currently in a PzIII with the long 50mm
    Status Emeritus

I stopped playing after we stopped getting a little bit of gold per day. I had my Easy 8 as my main and was grinding my way to a Tiger 1
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this game any good?

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Is this game any good?
    We're on page 3 of this thread, one would think that reading all the posts would give you a decent overview over what the game is like, no?

And Sigurd, that's right, I think they replaced especially some of the landscape textures with much better ones.
    Only got to play on one of the two new maps so far but think it looks great:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Husar; 05-19-2011 at 18:33.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

my screenies:

Last edited by Sigurd; 05-20-2011 at 00:10.
    Status Emeritus

Blog Entries

How is the full version compared to the Beta so far? The gold scheme they set up was a nonstarter for me, would've preferred just a monthly fee instead. Has the game improved enough since beta to justify paying for gold? or would you suggest to wait a bit longer until they iron some of the imbalances out?

The game is still on pre- 1.0 version. But I must say this 0.6.4 is just sweet. The game is fully playable without gold. I don't know what their plans are regarding taking it up to 1.0
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    The game is fully playable without gold.
    Well, it's quite likely that you will actually lose money if you use a Tier 8 or higher heavy tank without a premium account.
    And they want 30€ for the Tier 8 premium tanks, that I consider a bit of a letdown, I'm never going to pay more than 5-10€ for a virtual tank, actually 10 is only not a lot because it would probably help a great deal with earning money. If you need free experience it's even worse because converting experience costs extra again.
    So I'm not very happy with their price model but the game itself is quite fun, and free.

Blog Entries

Something had to be done about the way their tiers were set up anyways. I found the game less and less enjoyable beyond 5th Tier. KV-1s/2s are simply no match for an IS-3 or Ferdinand.

I never used a premier account until well into my Tiger I. I spent gold on 100% crews during the beta. Playing today, I can certainly see that people are not spending gold on training crews. The marksmanship of current players are poor, mine included. You should think every shot hits if you wait long enough.

I had a laugh yesterday evading 4 arties trying to take me out. I was the top ranked tank on the desert map. My team camped at home base and I danced the tank jig among their front line ATs. Using auto aim I took out three of them before they tracked me. Sitting like a crippled bug facing 6 tanks is suicide no matter how fast your crew works at getting the tank mobile again. Esp. in a 350 hp PzIII.
    Status Emeritus

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

I almost grinded my way to a T-34 in the beta. It was boring and tedious but the promise of finally a good tank kept me going.

It's a boring grind to get out of light tanks. Sadly, I can't do it again, especially with no gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    I almost grinded my way to a T-34 in the beta. It was boring and tedious but the promise of finally a good tank kept me going.

It's a boring grind to get out of light tanks. Sadly, I can't do it again, especially with no gold.
    Not deliberately trying to promote the game, but why? the T-34 is what? tier 5? I have enough credits to buy the PzIV (tier 5) with 75% crew and have earned enough experience to research it without using one ounce of gold.
    Some of my latter games got me plenty of experience (around 1000 a game) and if you are lucky you do very well in your first game of the day and get double experience in a what would be high yield game.

The tier 4 PzIII is actually pretty fun tank to play, esp. if you play it like a light tank, sneaking around the flanks and taking out your enemy SPGs. It can save your teams game as the enemy seem to panic when they suddenly realize I am there. They will send a lot of resources trying to take me out which just gives me more experience when I "detect" them. If my team is paying attention they get great intel and can move accordingly and we win.

I will get into the PzIV soon and grind it up to the long 75mm sniper gun, which is also a fun way of playing. The vanilla tanks are what is really boring to play. A fully upgraded tank is rather fun.
    Status Emeritus

The game on the EU servers got upgraded to 0.6.5.
    Two new maps and re-do of a few other maps. The US got their TD line.

I might have discontinued my German Heavy Tank line as I did that line already in the Demo (well up to a top performance Tiger II).
    I went with the SPG Hummel instead of moving to VK36.

I want an IS so I am building up the Russian Heavy Tank line. Currently I am playing with the KV - 107mm and will be moving to KV3 when I have enough experience.
    Pulling PzIV to Hummel took 35 400 experience which naturally generated a lot of silver and I will need them when I grind the Heavies up to decent performance.
    The Hummel is cashing in. High yield Silver and little expenses even if you lose.
    Status Emeritus

The creators of War of Tanks have a new game in development: World of Warplanes.
    I will be watching when they release the beta. It is currently being alpha tested.
    Status Emeritus

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Can't wait for the free gold in beta!

I have a question for the guys that have played the Soviet heavy line before.
    I am about to get one of the two top guns in the KV-3, the 100mm D10T or the 122mm D-2-5T. Which one is the better? No, that is not what I am asking.
    Which one should I get?
    Status Emeritus

For a heavy tank, I'd usually go with the more powerful gun, in this case the 122mm, that way you can peek out of cover, take a hit and hit for loads of damage.
    Now the enemy may have a fast reloading gun but it won't be of much use, he can only hit you once as you disappear behind cover again, with a fast firing gun you will have to stay outside of cover to shoot more often, or come out more often, and hit him more often, and he will be able to hit you more often as well. In close combat and when you just need that last hit on him but your gun takes ages to reload, it's a disadvantage, but in long and medium range fights I think the bigger gun is usually advantageous.

It's also fun to hit an enemy and see that you took a huge bunch of hitpoints away, or kill a Tier 4 tank in one hit etc.

Yes,
    I did pick the 122mm all though it is a tad slow. But I feel it doesn't hit as well on long distances as the 107mm i did.
    Checking near future upgrades, it seems the IS needs to research a new Turret and possibly suspension before the 122mm can be mounted on it. It will take around 17625 experience points to mount the gun on it.
    That means - a lot of grinding with the 85mm pea shooter before the IS will be usable. *sigh*
    Status Emeritus

I guess this has become my personal WoT blog.

The IS only needs the new turret to mount the 122mm and I used the KV-3 to research the 100mm D10T gun before buying the IS.
    The 100mm was fast as large guns goes, but not much umph in it to battle the top tiered tanks.

Have any of you noticed that games where you are the top dog are as difficult as those where you are the bottom dog?
    At least this is true for the IS. It seems wherever you go being #1, you suddenly get hit from all compass directions by sneaky bastards.

The best games are the ones you play second fiddle to a Tiger II or a IS-3.
    I just had one today which earned me 2300 xp and 29k credits. None of us got the Top Gun but we were close all of us three top dogs with 4 -5 kills each and we finally capped the base as the last enemy was in our base.

Statement: you only need 3 tanks in the enemy base to reach full capture speed. True or false?
    Discussion: Which is better; capture the enemy base or kill all enemy tanks?
    Last edited by Sigurd; 07-19-2011 at 14:52.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Not deliberately trying to promote the game, but why? the T-34 is what? tier 5? I have enough credits to buy the PzIV (tier 5) with 75% crew and have earned enough experience to research it without using one ounce of gold.
    Some of my latter games got me plenty of experience (around 1000 a game) and if you are lucky you do very well in your first game of the day and get double experience in a what would be high yield game.

The tier 4 PzIII is actually pretty fun tank to play, esp. if you play it like a light tank, sneaking around the flanks and taking out your enemy SPGs. It can save your teams game as the enemy seem to panic when they suddenly realize I am there. They will send a lot of resources trying to take me out which just gives me more experience when I "detect" them. If my team is paying attention they get great intel and can move accordingly and we win.

I will get into the PzIV soon and grind it up to the long 75mm sniper gun, which is also a fun way of playing. The vanilla tanks are what is really boring to play. A fully upgraded tank is rather fun.
    "but why?"

I'm not sure what you were asking me.

If its "why did you want the T-34," the long and short of it is that its a cool tank and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    "but why?"

I'm not sure what you were asking me.

If its "why did you want the T-34," the long and short of it is that its a cool tank and I like it.
    You said: 'Sadly I can't do it again, especially with no gold'.
    I asked why, because there is not much grinding up to a level 5 tank. Getting past that and we can talk again. I got the Hummel by grinding it from a PzIV.
    I decided that I found it tedious to grind my way back to a Tiger, so decided I should start another line. A Heavy Soviet line. (I always had problems with the same tiered IS, playing as Tiger I)
    I have now a IS with the sweet 122mm and I haven't spent an ounce of Gold yet in this game.

The IS is however problematic due to its rather expensive ammo. I break even or just over in not so good wins. And almost always lose money in games where we are defeated. On a rare occasion when I do brilliantly I can rake in up to 30k, but will fork out about 10k on ammo. That is why I keep the Hummel. I need it to get me into plus money wise.

I think the IS is the very top tank you can have in the Heavy line before needing a premium account.
    I want to continue to a IS-3, but then I might have to spend some money on this game. I dread the idea of running around in a stock tank - now that is boring.

Advice for the day, try to research as much as possible if your tank has components that the next tank also uses.
    The 100mm that I unlocked with the KV-3 was invaluable for the IS as that had only a 85mm as stock.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 07-20-2011 at 07:47.
    Status Emeritus

I can't do it again because light tanks are extremely boring, and increasingly frustrating as you get the higher and higher ones.

I don't require the standard lecture about how I should be scouting instead of trying to get kills, I should move from cover to cover, etc. I'm aware. It's just not fun.

On a related note, I like planes more than tanks, so World of Planes could be great. If they include the Me-262 and stuff like that I wonder how they'd balance it with the prop planes.

Blog Entries

I'm with Graphic on this one-- After losing my IS-3, I just couldn't bring myself to restart; I played around for a bit, but I'm too impatient to do it all over again.
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 07-20-2011 at 08:56.

I wonder how many this is true for.
    I know I was upset for losing my King Tiger, and the price for playing the Beta was a semi crappy M4something.
    But playing small tanks is not too boring, and you advance pretty fast.

In the games with the PzIII was at the bottom of the list, I positioned myself in a such a way that I could run with full speed into enemy territory.
    I didn't go at once but waited maybe 2 min. Then pointed at the mini-map saying I am going here. Pay attention. Objective - revealing as much as possible and staying alive as long as possible. And if I was lucky I would run into an arty or two along the way.
    Status Emeritus

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I now have the Panzer 3001 H. I really like this game.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sometimes no matter what you do - your team fails you. You bleed for them, fight higher class tanks and wins for them. And when you roll you shot up tank to take their base, a lurker 3 class above you monster is camping there.
    I just hate those games...

Status Emeritus

I told you that my Hummel is the cash bringer...
    An example of a regular match:

Oh... and the 0.6.6 is in testing and we get 10 000 gold in the test server.
    The new version has a new map...

Last edited by Sigurd; 08-01-2011 at 21:47.
    Status Emeritus

Default Re: World of Tanks

I was just starting to get back into this. I was having fun for a while, and then I hit that same wall I hit in the beta that sucked all the fun right out of the game. Tier 4 light tanks which get put in matches with King Tigers and IS-4s. There shouldn't be light tanks in those type of match-ups at all. The tier 4 lights should be towards the top with tier 2s at the bottom. They should replace the random KVs and Shermans I saw with the 35t (T2) and 38t (T3). The devs need to fix this...but I suspect they won't. Its actually a genius idea to get players to upgrade to a premium account and use gold to convert experience so they can get out of T4 lights ASAP.

I can't remember the last time I got a kill. This is a tank game, I want to blow up tanks, not play hide and go seek. Flying around, spotting people and then getting one-shotted or hiding behind a rock is not my idea of fun. Panzer 38 nA is a deluxe, absolutely no fun to use at all. And I gotta do this for FOURTEEN THOUSAND XP to research and buy a Panzer III/IV.

Same exact experience in the beta except with the A-20. I don't think I can do this.
    Last edited by Husar; 08-04-2011 at 00:16. Reason: bad language

Default Re: World of Tanks

Why did you go with a 38 nA then? Couldn't you just go the heavy route and then switch over to mediums if that's where you're heading?

Also, you can either try hiding behind your own heavy tanks, just from being close to a battle you can sometimes get huge amounts of XP in a small tank.
    Or you can try rushing and scouting, but I made some bad experiences that way since the heavy tankers usually got me very early and they just need a single hit...
    Then again I had a T-28, very vulnerable but gets a good gun. The American medium-line Tier 4 and 5 tanks were a bit of a bore though.

You will also usually end up in really hard battles now and then until you reach tier 9 or 10, but I just accept that as in other battles I'll often end up as the top tank myself.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast