Thread: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Default Re: World of Tanks - Free to play Panzer MMO

Is that with or without premium?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Good job Veho...

This is how the Type 59 do its job... being on the front line harassing the enemy;
    Not much fun for the StuG III jockey...

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Those StuG IIIs are way over their head when meeting a Type 59. Usually a one well placed shot is enough to send it to the eternal hunting grounds.
    Status Emeritus

To cheer you up, it's not getting better after the Stug III, until you get a Ferdi with a 128mm gun. The JgPz IV gets the same or less penetration than the Stug but is a tier higher. The Jagdpanther has borderline penetration for the tier and the Ferdi starts out with the same but in higher tier matches. Now you may say they have a good rate of fire and do decent damage, plus are somewhat armored (debatable until the Ferdi) but if you cannot penetrate and cannot flank, then you're somewhat useless. That said my Ferdi can bounce a whole lot, depending on angle and a bit of luck, russian tanks with 175mm penetration guns, especially the mediums, may just as well give up if they can't flank.
    So I'd say it's worth to pursue, once I get the 128mm gun I should be a dangerous foe for the Tier 8 and 9 heavies as well.

I just got my VK4502 Ausf A a couple days ago and am liking it so far. I wish it had better armor for the hull, because after coming from the Tiger P with its 200hull its a bit of a let down. Its 105 is great for watching those T7 and below run like little girls but T8 and above I bounce even when I hit them in the rear. Its got some good speed but not worth it imo. Id rather have a bruiser that can take a beating than a heavy that rolls like a medium.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I loved my stug but ya type 59's tear them apart. I just got my jagdpanzer and its additional armor still makes it fun to play with

I just spent nearly 900k on upgrades on my Type 59 yesterday.
    I didn't get it with 100% crew, so I suspect that it affects my performance. Having read a few of the Type 59 threads on the official forums, I decided to go with the Rammer, the Stabilizer and Ventilation. Only the stabilizer cost 500k, but I was surprised the other stuff was around 200k.
    Apparently having the oil as a consumable will increase your traverse significantly. But the tank has seriously issues with acceleration.

I got into a few brawls yesterday and I went all T54 on my enemy. The Stabilizer should help you hit the target while moving, but I apparently chose the wrong shells in my brawls (HE against a JagdPanzer, AP against a Löwe). I was hitting them several times but could not do weak-point shots as I needed the overview to maneuver. I would have gotten the Löwe if I hadn't been the last tank on my team. It was slow and I just ran circles around it. But I stopped to do a weak point shot (The Löwe had backed into a small hill depression and I drove up to get a shot from above) and apparently I was smoked by artillery.
    I will get this right though... practice makes better, right? I have 54% win ratio and 71% hit ration on it. I just need to get my crew up to speed.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I decided to go with the Rammer, the Stabilizer and Ventilation.
    Those are exactly the ones I want to install on mine as well but I have a rule for myself not to install any modules on a tank before the crew is at 100%, and currently they're at 99%...

Oh and I need a lot of money for my other tanks as well, 600k for a VK 36, 600k for a Slugger etc.

As renewable I have the remove speed governor one, but it has some risks, I mostly thought the engine damage was just money being lost but yesterday my engine turned orange due to it, hehe.

On the bright side my Ferdi is now equipped with the gun it was born to use.
    Last edited by Husar; 10-20-2011 at 10:21.

I have the Large caliber rammer for my VK4502A, all I need now is the vert stabilizer and the Ventilation for another 1.2m...
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

I made a Canadian Sherman a while ago:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....an-m4-sherman/

Why do people think the scouts job is to rush the other team, see all the starting positions and then die?

That's not much use

It is if the arty can hit or even kill some enemies.

Some scouts wait a while though and scout once things have loosened up a bit and arty is less well defended.

A few of them also survive for quite a while or make it back to their team alive.

Can't claim to be able to do this myself though and one has to keep in mind that being the first to spot an enemy gives an extra bonus.

Well as one who plays arty allot, you would be amazed at how many enemy SPGs do not move after being spotted. If the scout is able to find the enemy artillery pieces, you can take them out even if they don't show on the map anymore.
    Also, if the scout is able to show its team what kind of play the enemy attempts, it is valuable. Which flank is prioritized? Are one flank open?

I bet... down the line, someone will attempt to write down tactics for each map and organize them under names. The scout could be able to detect which play is in motion.
    The team is watching its advancing scout and as soon as the red dots are highlighted, they know the enemy's plan. "Hail Mary, they are doing Hail Mary".

If you notice a scout running through your camp, you call: "Audible, Audible!!! Our play has been compromised".
    Status Emeritus

Default Re: World of Tanks

Argh why does every IS skin suck

Right, this is the second time that I'm trying to get into this game.
    I never managed to install it successfully when I tried the open beta and I eventually deleted the client, and despite having been really keen about this I was unable to pick it up again until today.
    Downloading now. If someone can give me a few 'tips for beginners', about how I can ascend the levels quickest or something like that they would be very very welcome.
    Also I plan to play as artillery so specific tips would also be welcome.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

I was going to flood you with tips but I've only temporarily dabbled in artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    I was going to flood you with tips but I've only temporarily dabbled in artillery.
    Well until I earn enough cash to buy arty, I'll probably be driving some run down tank so your tips are welcome.

All right...how do I fire the mounted machine gun?

Edit:
    How do convert the silver credits into gold credits?
    Last edited by rajpoot; 10-26-2011 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    All right...how do I fire the mounted machine gun?

Edit:
    How do convert the silver credits into gold credits?
    You can't fire the machine guns because there are no infantry to kill.

You buy gold with real money to purchase premium tanks or a premium account (50% extra XP and credits per match), and to buy extra slots, and a few other things.
    Last edited by Graphic; 10-26-2011 at 08:52.

I'm pretty sure I saw some tanks firing a gun at quite a fast rate.

I'm pretty sure I saw some tanks firing a gun at quite a fast rate.
    Yes, but those were semi-automatic main guns, not hull or coaxial machine guns.

Its like the way a modern Bradley APC shoots.

I am not an expert in moving through the SPGs. But you could do what I did and get the Hummel, which IMO is a very good SPG.
    For that you could either crunch through the small German SPGs or like I did, enter the German Medium line.

It is a bit different today than when I did it. The order would be:
    Leichttractor -> PzKpfw II -> PzKpfw III Ausf A -> PzKpfw III -> PzKpfw III/V. from the Pz III/V you can move over to the SPGs and get the sweet Hummel tier 5 artillery piece. I have had much fun with it.

You could do the same in the Russian line, which would be the Heavy line. But you would have to grind that KV to 127k experience before getting the formidable S-51 with the 203mm howitzer.
    MS-1 -> T26 -> T46 -> T28 -> KV -> S-51

Personally I think it wise for dedicated SPG players to have played (grinded) through mediums or Heavies. You get a unique perspective of the way commanders of those tanks think or behave.
    E.g. If you are the last tank and there is a Heavy KV on the other team as the last tank. You can imagine with great accuracy how that tank will act and where it will be.
    I have seen SPG commanders despair when a T-50 moves through the lines and gets near. What do they do? They try to run. You should not. They start cursing the team for not holding a water tight defense instead of attacking that lone light tank. It is agile but not agile enough. Usually it will turn to your left, and if you have a light footed Hummel, which is a very fast SPG, you can ram it and fire the 152mm right in its face.
    AND.. This is very good advice. If you have encountered enemy lights in close proximity, always relocate. Don’t think you haven’t been spotted. I can no longer count those SPGs who have stayed in the exact spot after one of my team light tanks have been shot down at their doorstep. The red squares light up and I move fast over them to see where they are. Then when they go out, I shoot them one by one. You would think that a SPG would smell the dead cat, when their neighbor SPG suddenly is reduced to shrapnel.
    Status Emeritus

OK, thanks.....looks like it's going to be a while before I can rain down hell on my opponents....

Another little query. Is there anyway to convert experience to free experience without buying gold? Like by using elite vehicles or something?

Another little query. Is there anyway to convert experience to free experience without buying gold? Like by using elite vehicles or something?
    Sadly no...
    Elite tanks are only good for training crew. As far as I know, they don't get any "extra" besides dedicating all experience to crew training. The Elite are of course fully upgraded tanks and as such good tanks to play with.
    Status Emeritus

OK, thanks.....looks like it's going to be a while before I can rain down hell on my opponents....

The only way you get free experience without gold is the feature where 5% of the XP earned becomes free experience.

Right...I don't remember when was the last time I was so addicted to an MMO....played for hours straight yesterday. I got my tier three tank T-46...although I was having a lot more fun and winning a lot more easily with my MS-1....can't figure out why.
    Anyway one thing I've noticed is that in 9 matches out of 10 everyone seems to be acting like John Rambo. They go off rushing with no semblance of order or strategy, and no one seems to be willing to take, or even give orders....It's very frustrating to see a team with good chances of winning get decimated suddenly because a few people kept camping at the rear or came too slow while the other rushed ahead trying to get the Top Gun.

Don't worry, it gets better in the higher tiers. You're playing with a bunch of noobs right now.

Now when I'm playing in my Tiger and then dip into the first few tiers because I want to start a new tree (like I did a while ago to get my Sherman), the difference in player skill is astonishing.

Yes, it's always great to see people give orders, like:

Superheavy: "Hey, medium, go scout while I hide in this bush!"

Medium: "Ok, ok, if you insist..." *dies in a rain of fire from hidden enemies*

Superheavy: "I only got one shot off and it missed, you there, Littleheavy, go scout while I hide in this bush further back because some stray shot bounced off my impenetrable front armour earlier!"

Littleheavy: "No, I'm not as dumb as medium, go scout yourself!"

Superheavy: "Come on, arty should be ready as well!"

Littleheavy: "Ok, that works for me get ready arty!" *drives off*

Arty: "Wait, I was just busy on the other flank and have a 2 minute reloading cy..."

Littleheavy: *gets detracked and shot at for 1.5 minutes while Superheavy watches, then dies*

Superheavy: *gets surrounded by a ton of previously hidden enemies and is all alone by now* "Fail team! noobs!"

All that requires is some images to go with it....I'll see if I can find some screens.

Anyway despite all the lack of support playing as arty has it's own charm. There's nothing as satisfying as bringing down a Hetzer that's murdering two light tanks by a well placed shot to it's rear.

And is there any sort of Org clan for this game?

No clan so far, to engage in Clan matches you need to have at least 15 people anyway, plus they need to have high tier tanks and most likely also pay for premium all the time etc.
    And then you'd have to be on the same server cluster, which means people on the USA cluster would have to make a separate clan from those on the EU cluster as I understand it.

We can add eachother as friends and play as a platoon once in a while though if we're on the same server. There are also company battles where you join as teams of five but I'm not sure how exactly it works as I haven't tried it yet.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast