Thread: So I'm moving out...

Post So I'm moving out...

... at summer's end when my term (dream)job ends and I head back to university. I'm still going through my options of roommates, but the rent should be around 300 bucks, more or less. My personal income, varying from scholarships, living allowance from the First Nation, and work, will be between 1000 to 1300 bucks. I will be taking the bus as my main transport (roughly 50 bucks a month), and will be grocery shopping at the cheap places, i.e. Dollar Store, et al. I will only take with me the important items and appliances, such as my tv, laptop, clothes that I actually wear, fan, laundry basket, probably my bed and dresser, desk, etc. I am already paying bills to help with the upkeep of the place I'm living at with my mom, so paying the bills won't be a new experience for me. After all, I already am a man, not a boy newly-emerging from the nest.

The garbage/random stuff that crowds in my room will be packed in boxes which I will take to my Kookum (grandma) so she can sell them at her usual yard sales. We'll probably split the profit in some way, as I won't have the time to supervise the merchandise during the sales. I can cook, wash dishes, do the laundry, wipe my ass, etc. I am extremely grateful that Canada's system allows someone in my position to advance in society. My family, though proud and illustrious, has been criminally detoriated through the passage of time (through no absolute fault of their own) from a position as equals to the Royal Family to our current impoverished state (only one in my large extended family's generation to have graduated high school so far). It sucks, but like Big Sav and the Blazin' Nativez say, "It's a tragic life." Whatever, at least I'm paving the way for a future.

What did Genghis Khan say in AoE again? "My descendants will wear gold, and eat off of gold plates, and forget to whom they owe it all." Damn that's depressing, especially since I know that quote off by heart.

On the plus side, I won't need to attempt avoid letting the girls come over to my place for a visit anymore. Lol, that's a downside of living with a single mother, but oh well. Speaking of my mom, I'm going to have to make sure she'll be ok financially-wise. The internet and cable tv will have to go. After all, we didn't suscribe for those until I got my own income from my first job back in elementary school. Bills will go down drastically with me out of the house, in terms of food, water, power, etc. She'll likely be fine. Might have to use the food bank every so often, but it wouldn't be the first time. If she has to, I guess she could move in with my Kookum (dramatic irony), but I doubt it will go that far.

These are my thoughts thus far. I feel very open and tolerant right now, so PLEASE OFFER ME ANY ADVICE YOU POSSIBLY CAN. Especially Kukri, you of all people here command my respect. Guys (and Secura), I know I can be a very bitter and hateful person sometimes, but I've been trying so hard to change that. This probably shows more in reality than it does on the interwebs.

EDIT: ****, I can't sleep.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 07-16-2010 at 07:29.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: So I'm moving out...

Have fun. My advice, open an additional bank account for the bills. It's easy to spend too much.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not sure how much advice I can legitimately offer, but the one thing I've found very helpful is managing negative emotion. Sure we can't be in a super positive mood all the time, but avoiding lows is very important. For me, the big thing was discarding anger and sadness over things I can't influence. Dreaming and wishing don't do much good- action does. You're going to a university? Good, university degrees(at least in the US, I imagine in Canada as well) are becoming a near necessity to get a well paying job in you're 20's and being able to rebound if unemployment does hit.

Lastly, and this might be difficult, but I'd advise letting go of your (distant?) family past (the bit about near-royal status or so). The family you have now is what's important. The now is what's important. The past is passed, after all. Work on your degree. Have some fun. Don't stress the small stuff. People seem to worry a lot. It aint good for their health, and it doesn't help you figure out how to solve a problem anyways.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaseikhaan View Post
    Not sure how much advice I can legitimately offer, but the one thing I've found very helpful is managing negative emotion. Sure we can't be in a super positive mood all the time, but avoiding lows is very important. For me, the big thing was discarding anger and sadness over things I can't influence. Dreaming and wishing don't do much good- action does. You're going to a university? Good, university degrees(at least in the US, I imagine in Canada as well) are becoming a near necessity to get a well paying job in you're 20's and being able to rebound if unemployment does hit.

Lastly, and this might be difficult, but I'd advise letting go of your (distant?) family past (the bit about near-royal status or so). The family you have now is what's important. The now is what's important. The past is passed, after all. Work on your degree. Have some fun. Don't stress the small stuff. People seem to worry a lot. It aint good for their health, and it doesn't help you figure out how to solve a problem anyways.
    Superb advice. Too long consumed by loss, regret, anger, shame, and dwelling on the past and the 'not haves,' have crippled me at this point in my life. I'm just now learning how to live as Yaseikhaan describes, and it's a lot harder now because of all the years carrying that baggage around. Do yourself a big favor and take this to heart now, while you're still young, and strong.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

move in with a white bro as a demonstration of your desire to be a new person. Or if not then a rich Guy so your bills will get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    move in with a white bro as a demonstration of your desire to be a new person. Or if not then a rich Guy so your bills will get paid
    Synonymns, lmao...

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I wasn't ignoring you, you made me think...

Congratulations on your move to the next phase. I'm probably not qualified to give advice,but you asked, so here goes, in no particular order:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >Be "the quiet one".

>Wait to make babies until you're 30.

>Get as much schooling as you can afford, or tolerate. (You can tolerate more than you think).

>Listen. Closely. to Yourself. You may not realize it, but you already know everything you need to know to survive and thrive in this world.

>Practice sorting through the "blah-blah" noise of the world. Most of it is bull, sometimes surrounding simple truths; search for those truths.

>Anticipate, and plan for, hard times. They will come. They come to teach you something, so pay attention. You'll get through.

>Be slow to give your word. When you give your word, stick to it forever. Realize that many men won't/can't do this, so be wary but not cynical.

>Don't hate people; it wastes your time and darkens your soul unnecessarily. Go around (and be amused by) blowhards in your path.

>Keep physically fit, even when you're busy. Learn to swim well.

>Set aside 15 minutes (I do it at sundown) every day to think of absolutely nothing.

>When you despair, remind yourself that you're 'building' the man you are; all the joys, and troubles, and adventures and boredoms are there to make you the perfect, seasoned, man you are meant to be. You'll need all that experience: the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful, in the next phase.

>Always carry something to write with. It's too easy to forget stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's about it. Anything more would just be details you can and should sort out for yourself.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I'm moving out as well. I love you, Kukri. That's some great advice.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Some good advice here. Kukri, you should be sitting on a mountain top somewhere dispensing wisdom to those who seek you out.
    This space intentionally left blank

When I first started work I offset the amount of money my mum lost as a result from reduced payments from my wages, it meant that I didn't earn much more than I had from my paper round but I never lost either, and, it's my mum. 12 months later we were both up, I also paid for the phone when my wages went up, back when a phone wasn't the norm.

In all, drink only as much as you can confortably afford, don't forget your mum and don't run up more debt .

I didn't avoid the last one and it cost me dearly, also, if you get involved with a girl make sure everything is agreed in writing before you sign any agreement.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Some good advice here. Kukri, you should be sitting on a mountain top somewhere dispensing wisdom to those who seek you out.
    But ... he is. It's just a virtual mountain.

Thanks Kk.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

You already got some excellent advice (), so I don't have much to say. I think the OP makes it clear that you're already going from boy to man, so now is probably the right time to take this step.

Best of luck, Megas, just let go of that hatred and replace it with self respect and self esteem and I'm sure you'll do just fine, with ups and downs like all of us.

Just don't be a stranger and try to visit us once in a while, if only to tell us you're doing ok.

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu