Thread: Windex + Super Nintendo = Fun

Default Windex + Super Nintendo = Fun

So I was stuck at the grandparents house for a few days, and since their house is pretty much 1950s technology wise, I was quite bored. I dug out the old Super NES and decided to give it a go. I had trouble getting the games to start, so I took put some windex (glass cleaner) on a tooth pick and rubbed it on the game's strip. The game worked, but a bit too well.

I decided to play Super Mario All Stars (Mario 3 to be exact) and here is where the fun started. My charter started randomly changing form. He would go from regular Mario, to flower Mario, to raccoon Mario, to tons of different other types of mario (some that I didn't know even existed such as frog Mario). In addition, when this would happen, he would run in crazy directions all over the map. Any thoughts on this odd sort of events? It was rather entertaining since I basically couldn't die.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Windex + Super Nintendo = Fun

It's crazy to think that even after all these years those consoles from the 90s are still in working order. I dug mine out of storage a few years ago as well only to discover the games wouldn't play. My method for their restoration came with cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol, a thorough deep-cleaning of all the contact points on both the cartridges and the console itself was all it took to get the system up and running again. Have you tried cleaning the contact ports on the system itself? Perhaps there's some signals getting crossed, or maybe the cart has just gone bad after all these years.
    Last edited by Monk; 07-16-2010 at 16:34.

The great Shai-Hulud Member God Emperor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mine stopped working, but okay, the emulator on the computer works pretty well.
    In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces.

I have got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel

INTP

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    It's crazy to think that even after all these years those consoles from the 90s are still in working order. I dug mine out of storage a few years ago as well only to discover the games wouldn't play. My method for their restoration came with cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol, a thorough deep-cleaning of all the contact points on both the cartridges and the console itself was all it took to get the system up and running again. Have you tried cleaning the contact ports on the system itself? Perhaps there's some signals getting crossed, or maybe the cart has just gone bad after all these years.
    Ha!

My Sega Master System II and Mega Drive and all my old games still work perfectly! Even my good ol' Atari 2600 works.

Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Does anyone remember Colecovision? My sister and I got one for Christmas in the early 80's. Worked fine up until my mother gave it away in the late 90's. Smurf, Cosmic Avenger and Gorf were some of my favorites. Had better graphics than Atari at the time, but not the critical success for some reason.
    Silence is beautiful