Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty training or the Unforgivable Sin

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Potty training or the Unforgivable Sin

I apologize to all of you that seek nice red-meat arguments such as whether BP should be forced to vacuum the entire ocean floor or whether a stock exchange has any place in a well functioning social democracy, or whether a gay marine should be allowed to abort his implanted fetus with a rifle of foreign origins or not....

As enticing as I find those arguments, Mrs Corleone, whom I fear exponentially more than any of you, has relegated me to the unfortunate task of potty-training our youngest. Forget that she is female (as is the oldest, and, for that matter, is Mrs Corelone). My simple "let's go water the bushes" cannot possibly help in times such as these. But...my youngest has proven herself to be the most headstrong of the Corleone clan at the ripe old age of 2. It is not a question of bladder control, or realization... she uses it is as a weapon, and a means of reigning her elders into line.

Oddly, or, perhaps, predictably, depending on your mindset, this has led to a debate on the whole idea of what is "sinfulness" and therefore, what is the "original sin". I know, so let me spare you those precious few keystrokes, that peeing one's diaper deliberately does not constitue the unforgivable sin. But as I was taught, the unforgivable sin is to speak against the Holy Spirit, aka, to speak against what you are being taught....

So I offer the audience one of two choices...

Do we debate effective potty training methods for young females OR...

Do we explore the prohibition against speaking against the works of the Holy Spirit (and if you don't have children yet, I will understand if you don't know why a 'dry night' is truly a work of the Holy Spirit).

Open topic boys and girls, welcome your thoughts as I'm drying wet bums.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Default Re: Potty training or the Unforgivable Sin

As an teenager, I believe I have some life experience I could totally share with you on the raising of a 2 year old.

Birth control sounds like heaven now, doesn't it?

It does to me, at least.....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've a little boy and seeing as he's 6 weeks old potty training is the last thing on my mind; 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep is...

I didn't realise that Catholic doctrine managed to get going against what one is told by any senior is against God, but I'm not surprised.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I've a little boy and seeing as he's 6 weeks
    Congratulations
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Oh come on Don, you know that the terrible twos always win.

As for sharing a house with three females......I reckon that sin against God should be the last thing on your mind. You poor man.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Hehehe, out-numbered in a houseful of women, been there done that. Who's training who, Don? They got you squating to pee yet? I'd attempt to give you some encouraging advice, but er...actually, it gets worse.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

This reminds me of a scene from Family Guy. Just tell her she will go to hell if she doesn't learn how to use the toilet. Give her a brief introduction to fire if she resists.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I dunno, I found potty training to be a bit of a head fake. When they're ready, they're ready. My boy, for example, declared one day that he was a "big boy" and that was that. He never used a diaper again. My girl took longer, and she needed a little more hand-holding, but she really was in the driver's seat.

My advice: Just let her know that big girls don't use diapers, and that if she wants to be a big girl, she needs to use the potty. And then wait for her to be ready. Every parent who tries to push this to happen faster winds up miserable.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Every parent who tries to push this to happen faster winds up miserable.
    Truth.

With my oldest girl, we (she and I and Mom) trained her dolly, instead of her; "praising" dolly when she made pretend chi-chi - gently correcting dolly when she made a mistake, rushing dolly to the potty when the urge hit, changing diapers on dolly in-between. After 2 days of this game, Daughter enjoyed her role as dolly's Mommy, and was off diapers. Nine years later she taught baby sister the same way, using a doll.

Gameplay ftw. Hope that helps.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Novel idea, Kukri. Work the Mommy instinct angle.

Family legend has it that when I was potty trained at 2 my sister Tina was born.
    Upon seeing all the diaper attention she was getting that I had just given up...I back slid to my former habits to get my fair share. I ain't no dummy.

I think part of the potty training problem are these moisture wicking wonder diapers. Compared to the old cloth diapers that are so uncomfortable when wet and soiled...they take the comfort factor out of the equation for the lil' stinkers.
    Every kid's different, and like learning to walk or talk or eat your peas or give up the binky, she'll do it when she's darn good & ready. Trying to force the issue...that way lies madness.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Truth...

Gameplay ftw. Hope that helps.
    More truth. Make it a game; don't try to impose your authority as a parent.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post

I didn't realise that Catholic doctrine managed to get going against what one is told by any senior is against God, but I'm not surprised.

Actually, the Unforgivable Sin is generally recognized to be the attribution of the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. But that didn't fit into my jokey thread anywhere near so well.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Novel idea, Kukri. Work the Mommy instinct angle.

Family legend has it that when I was potty trained at 2 my sister Tina was born.
    Upon seeing all the diaper attention she was getting that I had just given up...I back slid to my former habits to get my fair share. I ain't no dummy.

I think part of the potty training problem are these moisture wicking wonder diapers. Compared to the old cloth diapers that are so uncomfortable when wet and soiled...they take the comfort factor out of the equation for the lil' stinkers.
    Every kid's different, and like learning to walk or talk or eat your peas or give up the binky, she'll do it when she's darn good & ready. Trying to force the issue...that way lies madness.
    The same modern tech that made those diapers has made training pants. Usually called "pull-ups" (or such like). They'll take the hit if the kid can't get to the turlit in time. But they are also mean't to help train that when they get the urge, go to the potty. And I can remember cloth diapers on my younger siblings. Icky to say the least. Plus when my oldest niece drops a duce in her diaper she won't sit down, it burns too much.

I'm eagerly awaiting the follies that will incur when my sister tries to train her oldest to use the potty. Good times, for me.
    Last edited by lars573; 07-20-2010 at 18:43.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Birth control sounds like heaven now, doesn't it?

It does to me, at least.....

Go Birth Control!!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Smack her on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and scold her when she messes. Praise her when she goes in the right place. Have you tried crating?

Oh wait, this is a human child?!?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Actually, the Unforgivable Sin is generally recognized to be the attribution of the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. But that didn't fit into my jokey thread anywhere near so well.
    Actually, I think you'll find that the "unforgivable" Sin is rejecting Christ, as that's the only one that will *definately* send you to Hell in traditional Catholic theology, as you can't be shriven of it without actively repenting.

On potty training: I believe my parents actually used cloth nappies on my, rather than the (not all that new-fangled) mass-produced one exacty to encourage me to be potty-trained.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Horetore:

Odd thought...If political liberals such as yourself are so in favor of birth control (and the stats suggest that you are) whilst the more conservative types breed more than replacement value, aren't you sowing the seeds of your own eventual defeat?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Horetore:

Odd thought...If political liberals such as yourself are so in favor of birth control (and the stats suggest that you are) whilst the more conservative types breed more than replacement value, aren't you sowing the seeds of your own eventual defeat?
    SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Horetore:

LOL, this is exactly Europe's problem.

Horetore:

If that was true; then how was I ever born...?

EDIT: No time to wait, I'll give you the answer right away:

It is, of course, that being a pinkie commie isn't hereditary. I wasn't born the way I am. Devoted religious people have more kids; great, devoted religious families is the top breeding ground for radical liberals.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 07-28-2010 at 18:54.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

If that was true; then how was I ever born...?

EDIT: No time to wait, I'll give you the answer right away:

It is, of course, that being a pinkie commie isn't hereditary. I wasn't born the way I am. Devoted religious people have more kids; great, devoted religious families is the top breeding ground for radical liberals.
    Oh come now! If I accept your point, I would have to accept that people might be CHOOSING a leftist philosophy of their own free will, as though it had some sort of intellectual value. Surely you don't expect a political right-winger to even consider such a thing.....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Oh come now! If I accept your point, I would have to accept that people might be CHOOSING a leftist philosophy of their own free will, as though it had some sort of intellectual value. Surely you don't expect a political right-winger to even consider such a thing.....
    Don't worry, here's another explanation for you:

I'm a leftie. In a few years, I will have finished my studies and can start working as a teacher.... Obviously to poison the minds of your righteous offspring and turn them over to the dark side...

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Don't worry, here's another explanation for you:

I'm a leftie. In a few years, I will have finished my studies and can start working as a teacher.... Obviously to poison the minds of your righteous offspring and turn them over to the dark side...
    So he should kill you now?

Did you know Left-wing Liberals turn into right-wing hawks in their old age? You have that to look foward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    So he should kill you now?

Did you know Left-wing Liberals turn into right-wing hawks in their old age? You have that to look foward to.
    Did you know thousands of enlightened europeans renounce their childhood religion every day?

Looking forward to joining us?
    Last edited by HoreTore; 07-28-2010 at 23:44.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Horetore:

Evolutionary, it's now good to be undereducated and just making enough money to barely support your numerous children... So the lefties are just balancing the scales.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Did you know thousands of enlightened europeans renounce their childhood religion every day?

Looking forward to joining us?
    I did, that's why I'm no longer an Atheist.

Anyway, things are a bit different outside Scandanavia - people usually just join another religion.

On second thought; no, I choose not to have this debate, due to the likelihood that it will devolve into a flame war.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 07-30-2010 at 08:38.

If it makes anybody feel better, the frustration in having this discussion is nothing compared to what Mrs. Corleone and I are going through these days.... Oy vey.... Two steps forward, one step back... Just while reading the last few posts, Little Ms. Headstrong Corleone decided to tinkle on the living room rug (despite having said no to no fewer than 4 offers to go.)

Strike for the South

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I don't understand what's going on here, Don. If she ain't ready, she ain't ready, so stick the diaper back on and give it another month. This should be fairly simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast