Thread: House Rules and Historical Campaign - Romani

Question House Rules and Historical Campaign - Romani

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to EB but really love the historical aspect of it and I'm really getting a kick out of the game. I tried playing a Romani campaign but I'm noticing just how rich and deep EB is....so I stopped playing. I decided I had better read up on the game a little on the forums in order to know how EB differs from vanilla RTW, plus some strategies for the battlefield and the big board. I've read in Romani campaign threads that playing out the game historically is the most fun. This post seems to be a pretty good guide that I want to follow.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...edux-for-EB%29

Here are my main questions:

1) In some posts I've seen references to "house rules" which seem to be sort of restrictions on how players play the campaign I guess? Not exactly sure. If this makes sense, can anyone tell me what "house rules" they suggest i use in my campaign?

2) I'm still figuring out the differences between vanilla RTW and EB. Something I noticed was that family members can go native in the provinces they govern. Are there any other differences that any of you find especially important in strategy? (I mean on the big map) Any empire managing tips regarding EB's changes?

3) Anything else that you wish you knew before starting your first EB Romani campaign?

I've read other threads before posting myself, but I am sure much of these answers will have been discussed sometime before on the forum. If my questions are too redundant could anyone be so kind as to point me in the direction of a good thread?

Thank you!

Default Re: House Rules and Historical Campaign - Romani

Welcome to the wonderful world of EB

1) You're right... House rules are rules, that you make for yourself to make the game more challenging... However i would suggest you use them once EB becames to easy - it's much more difficult than RTW, so try to play at first as you would, and if the game becames to easy, try to make your own set of rules, for example;
    - Don't expand to fast, or in a way that your faction never expanded
    - Don't use armies full of elites
    - Don't use full-stack armies
    - Don't use generals till they are much older then 16
    - Don't use the stupidity of the AI against you...

This is a great guide on how to play with the Romans in EB - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...edux-for-EB%29

2) What do you mean by governors going native? Any generals get's a trait which says where he's from. Depending on that trait, others follow. For example - If you have a Family member, say playing as Seleucia, that is Macedonian, he will be prone to becoming an alcoholic and a great cavalry general, if you have one, that is greek, he will probably be a good governor of cities, but not that great in other fields.

3) This is much to large a question... Few general tips?
    - Once you hold all of Italy + Sicily, you won't have to worry about anything, if you don't overexpand. This provinces are very rich, and as long as you don't wage war on multiple fronts, you will be very hard to stop. You must be ready when you attack an enemy tough, especially because before you reach the Marian reforms, you can't field Roman armies outside of Italy, which can realy hurt you in a long war.
    - Try to conquer Sardinia and Corsica as well. Those 2 cities are decent earners.
    - Build MINES! Mines give much more money than in any other mod. They are also that much costlier, but in the long term it's worth it.

4) If you have any other question, please feel free to ask. I've played a Roman campaing till 20 AD, so i guess i know a thing or 2 about them

Oh, and don't forget, if you haven't, read the
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Member thankful for this post:

By going native, I meant one of my generals that was governing a city attained a character trait that reduced his movement on the map and made him a better manager as long as he remained in that province. What do you mean by I can't "field" armies outside of Italy? By full stack armies, you mean armies that take up all the slots at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks for the help! Especially so quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by froogle_king View Post
    By going native, I meant one of my generals that was governing a city attained a character trait that reduced his movement on the map and made him a better manager as long as he remained in that province. What do you mean by I can't "field" armies outside of Italy? By full stack armies, you mean armies that take up all the slots at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks for the help! Especially so quickly!
    No probem... About the armies - you can't train Roman Units outside Italy - The Triarii, Principes, Hastati, Equites, Pedites... You can only train local troops at your disposal.

About the generals - yes, if a general is in a city a long time, he will became more at home at the city. Also if a general fights many battles, he will get the Warmonger trait, which will make him less able in a city, but better when fighting battles - more stars, more morale etc...

I suggest you start playing. If anything goes wrong, or you have more questions, ask them while they came. EB is such a deep game, that it's very difficult to give you broad advices, without forgeting many important things.

And one last thing, you must never forget to start the script

Member thankful for this post:

A Romani campaign is a good way to ease into the EB experience - not much disastrous can go wrong, and you have time to experiment with your options. On the other hand, my first two campaigns were Baktria and Koinon Hellenon, where sixteen billion things can go wrong - playing a hard faction is another good way to jump recklessly into the EB experience :).

Maybe this deserves a new thread? (not sure of the proper protocol for the forum) But I've run into something I really do not understand. What is all this talk about client rulers?

This is my situation:
    I captured the city Taras. I destroyed the foreign government building there and starting building a Roman level 4 government. I left my army, along with the general, in Taras because unrest was high. When the new government building was finished, I removed my general since he was an interloper. Then I recruited a merc general. There were two kinds available to me so I went with the more foreign kind. As soon as he was built though, he was given the interloper trait.....am I setting up a client ruler properly?

Here's what Quintus Sertorius wrote:
    "Move your family members out of conquered settlements as soon as a client ruler is installed. Not only is there the Interloper trait issue, but it demonstrates poor faith on the part of the Republic not to trust provincials to run their own affairs as long as they pay their taxes."

I realize now that I removed the fm before the client ruler came about, but why does that mean that the client ruler gets an interloper trait? Does it make a difference which one of the generals I create?

He also writes that "The greatest amount of culture penalty comes from the governor's residence in a province, so aim to upgrade this as soon as you can." How do I upgrade this?

You upgrade the goverment once your city grows... And the Client Ruler shouldn't have the Interloper trait, if you have a level 4 goverment in place. Try waiting a turn, since it seems you did everything right.

Nope. The merc general in Taras is very much an interloper still. In Bononia I put a Celtic lesser king there as well and he immediately got the interloper trait. Level IV governments in both regions.

Hm... I dunno. You should ask this over at the Technical help forum. Just open a thread, people are sure to help you.