Thread: Banning

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

I'm a bit hesitant to bring this subject up here, but I believe that there will be some benefit to it.

For those of you who do not visit the .com forums on a regular basis, it appears that both Demon and TankDogg have had their CD-key's banned. As a result neither of them can play online any longer.

My initial response was one of shock. Not because they were banned, but by the fact that CA/DT/EA chose to enforce the license that we paid for when purchasing the software.

There is no doubt in my mind that in each of these cases, the decision was justified particularly in Tanks case where his actions resulted tangible harm to the community.

It is my most sincere hope that the steps taken by the developers and publisher remains a tool used only under the most extreme circumstances. My greatest fear is that we will now start to see allies of those who were banned begin to make similar claims against others simply to reinforce their belief that the initial bannings were fundamentally wrong.

There are those over at the .com forum who have already made their feelings on this issue common knowledge. Let us hope that it doesn't expand from a disagreement over principle into an issue that could tear the Community apart and further isolate those who are already mistrustful.

I posted here in the hopes that there could be a serious and frank discussion regarding these events (not the individuals) that won't degenerate into the same type of name-calling and bickering that occurs so frequently on other forums.

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Well, its sad that it had to come to them being banned. I guess those people who dont like Tank and Demon can rejoice. I know I rejoice everytime the US executes someone on deathrow!

------------------
    RUN, to live to run another day!

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Ajidrik,

I was not particularly fond of either one and had had my share of run-in's with both, but I sincerely hope that there is no rejoicing by anyone over this decision. There is nothing here to rejoice over. Although I support the decision, like you I am sad that it had to come to this. There is an intangible quality that the Community has now lost (I don't want to call it innocence, but it's similar) and there is no way that it can ever be retrieved.

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I must say i am somewhat displeased at the action taken by EA on each case.
    While I do not doubt the fact both have been problematic and troublesome players with their rude and threatening behavour, perhaps EA should have first issued each player an ultimatum, ie. stop the foul play or be banned
    Then there would be no avenue of complaint that either could pursue
    For me it seems an instant ban without prior warning is a little TOO harsh

For me, Tank's and Demon's bans were justified. We all know their reputation in the community. Both have said that they have now stopped doing harm to our community.

But, as I said in the .com forum, this is like in real-life: One has to pay for the damage one makes, in a way or another.

I wish to qoute from The Shogun, Richie:

OK I have passed this on to EA and we are currently looking into it. We will in future be taking a zero tolerance response to the extreme behaviour reported in these threads.

Any one found to be using physical threats etc will have their CD key removed from the database so they will be unable to play online. Also we may pass the complaint on to the police!
    Take it as read this behaviour is totally unacceptable. it must and will stop![/QUOTE]

At this thread Jumnon has expressed his experiences with this guy. Worth seeing I think.

As for Tank, I think many have rejoiced about his final ban. You may forgive him, but probably EA won't anyway...

Tera

P.S.
    I don't think that the no names rule applies here as far as tank and demon are concerned. Everyone knows to whom we are talking about. As long as no others are mentioned, of course. Please do a mature discussion!
    Thanks.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 06-22-2001).]

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

WASN'T THERE SOMEONE AROUND HERE A FEW DAYS AGO TRYING TO GET HOLD OF A NEW CD-KEY? I SEEM TO REMEMBER HE WAS A 'NEW' USER...

Sorry about the caps, just didn't want this to get ignored.

------------------
    - Our girls fall for samurai and they'll go chasing after them.
    - If the bandits come they'll cut our heads off. We'll worry about the girls later.

I had never encountered either one of those guys.

------------------
    The White Wolf clan will conqouer all of Japan!
    I will be Baron of the world.

Whats to stop them from returning.They can always buy a new Shogun copy. It retails for $19, you can buy it used too for a lot less. If these two banned individuals like Shogun that much, they can buy a new copy and proved to the rest of the community that they changed their way.

BTW, Obake-San, I did not support them getting banned, I dont support the death Penalty either. I was being sarcastic.

------------------
    RUN, to live to run another day!

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by Doragon_Ajidrik (edited 06-22-2001).]
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

well i guess i will let you read the email i got back from EA concering this ummm thing:

Dear Mr Jones

I received your complaint regarding problem players on Shogun and
    we at Electronic Arts are in the process of taking appropriate
    action.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Best Regards
    Caroline Cullen
    Customer Relations Manager
    EA Europe
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

don't suppose anyone else got something like this or was this ALL my fault
    Clan Shades

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

these guys were sources of trouble, plain and simple. i'm sure it didnt take EA much investigation to find this out. it was pretty blatant.

i've been online for over 15 years and i've seen this behaviour time and again wreck games completely. i feel no loss for the perpetrators. part of any honor code, in my book, includes 'never be afraid to hurt someone in a just cause'. i have no sympathy for someone who's total game is to wreck other folk's games. none. and trust me, that's all those guys wanted to do. they were dedicated to it.

i applaud those that brought it to EA's attention and i applaud EA for stepping in and handling it. the noise and distraction has diminished by quite a bit in the online area and THAT is the proof of the pudding.

i've moderated games before as an admin and there's always a few that dont come in to play your game, they come in to wreck it. the only thing lost here was some insanity. i dont come online to make enemies or to be made an enemy. i come online to have fun. the type of personality involved here takes that away from you, or tries to. good riddance. if i'd been a moderator on this game they'd have been gone long before any of this flame/name war/enturbulence ever got to a head.

the price of freedom is eternal vigilance and a willingness to fight back. we saw, we fought back, they lost. that they may go out and buy another cheap copy, fine. bring it on. it'll get a bit expensive after a while and doesnt bother me a bit that this will cost them some bucks ;)

nobody died here. we just shooed/shunned a couple of sources of trouble out of our community. let's not go all griefy over this as if we just lost our best friends ;)

K.

These guys didn't get the death penalty, they were banned from a multiplayer game after a longstanding history of intentionally causing trouble and breaking the rules. Banning was not harsh. The whole problem with online gaming and the internet is that there is little to no enforcement of basic standards of politeness and decency that would get someone's nose broken in an offline situation. If you ask me this was begged for for awhile if what I've been reading about the situation is true.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Now we disappear,
    Well, what must we think of it?
    From the sky we came.
    Now we may go back again.
    That's at least one point of view.
    -Hojo Ujimasa's seppekku poem.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Hmm.. when were they banned? I was in a room earlier today, and everyone claimed Demon was lurking about. Not to mention names, but they are all known by you all and well respected

WELL actully yes he was supose to be online again Lurking this is possible we have had NO word that they actully got banned only the post saying that can't get on which could be a lie anyway. Plus if they wanted to they would of went out and bought a new game just to get back online just to make a point that they can't be silenced. or they just got a new CD code thats possible to.

------------------
    Clan Shades
    Clan Shades

E/A should have banned Tank months ago, he was really off and lost us (the Shogun community) many new players. In life it is quite simple, if you act like a bastard you get treated like a bastard.

Let us maintain a decent standard with some honour and decorum, especially with so many younger players.

This is still one of the best online sites
    website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

Blog Entries

they only need to buy the game again!
    Its pretty cheap, what they do then?

banned again?
    This isnt the way, put this guy on ignore and
    good.

koc