Thread: Cannot start campaign on EB v1.2.

Default Cannot start campaign on EB v1.2.

When i tried starting a campaign, the whole game froze. So i started to press ctrl-alt-delete and then i saw a "protection error"

searched on google and on this forum and found one other person having the same exact problem as me.

Therefore i decided to do what the people there tried to do.

i went on my RTW directory and started the validatinginstall batch file and after all of it a notebook came up.

This is what it came up as this:

"
    You don't have an original installation; There are changes to files, or some are missing.
    However, these may be conscious changes you have made, to remod EB. See below for details.
    ==========
    Missing file: .\data\packs\patch_1.pak
    Changed file: .\data\credits.txt (expected checksum 632aad51f3a61c5da34140e4fa28800b, got b0a7954002857cc32e253a5e08b5c194)
    Changed file: .\data\descr_items.db (expected checksum 05785f752f89ae7f82ffd4631ddafd2c, got 244bf4dbabea7646706611eaeabe6d56)
    Changed file: .\data\export_descr_advice.txt (expected checksum f29c56a6d711e3ebb70b855365500de8, got 97794093b86abe2d5ebab1920b9c3363)
    Changed file: .\data\fmv\atvi_spinning_logo_640x480.wmv (expected checksum 7e15895ba7a723535f55e4deb91c085b, got e9ac1729af2fdeffe8365a567cd76b23)
    Changed file: .\data\menu\splash.tga (expected checksum a57cc84af0e6c1300577336f17e0bfd6, got d1329cf835f69e6dff4b4cc0cb08d144)
    Changed file: .\eb\data\descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt (expected checksum cb93a428e536cfa294ff85bf1d9ceca1, got 23942befd1eebbd7b829f750745c3081)
    Added file: .\eb configuration.lnk
    Added file: .\eb multi player.lnk
    Added file: .\eb preferences.lnk
    Added file: .\gamespy arcade.url
    Added file: .\icon.ico
    "

Now i'm not sure what to do with that.

thanks for reading :)

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: Cannot start campaign on EB v1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by shan735 View Post
    When i tried starting a campaign, the whole game froze. So i started to press ctrl-alt-delete and then i saw a "protection error"
    1. Does RTW alone work?

_ Validation tool says that you are missing patch_1.pak (or something similar)? Get this file and extract it in <RTW>/data/packs.
    here's the link:ftp://ftp.europabarbarorum.org/patch_1.zip

3. You did install it outside Program Files? That answer is not given in your other thread...

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Yep RTW alone works perfectly :) i was just playing it just now :L <.< all my factions are gone but no matter :L

and yep i installed it outside program files :)
    the game installed fine, i can actually play the custom battles and everything but i just cna't play the campaign :)

i'll download it from your link first :)

thanks for posting :)

I have just saved the download you gave me

opened the folder, opened the file with 7-zip and extracted it to The Creative Assembly- Rome Total War.

not sure if i did it right, but it sitll doesn't work.

I managed to see what the protection error says

it said something like a debugger has been detected- please close it.

OK, then lets see that error, is it from Windows or from a protection software you are using? If the second, either set allow the operation in the software settings dialog or disable it while playing EB. If it is the first, please note the exact error number and everything else and post it here, maybe a screenshot would be also a good idea.

Have you tried to start it with administrator-rights?

XSamatan

well i just tried running the game with administrator-rights but it didn't work.

i'm not sure where there error is from. all it said was that a debugger has been detected.

I use Mcafee protection but thats about it. I have a windows vista and i'm not sure what could set it off. could the UAC cause a problem?

So it is a McAfee warning? Disable it for the time you are playing EB.

Is this applicable in your case:
    Using Nero Burning ROM? This interferes with RTW. You need to either uninstall (which is easiest) or find and rename Nero's NeVideo.ax and NeAudio.ax files
    XSamatan

its not a McAfee warning i'm afraid :(

and I dont use Nero Burning ROM :/

I can't screenshot it because i can't see the protection error. i dont know how to get it to show again >.<

Basically i click EB campaign, click the arrow to start it and then it freezes

when i press ctrl-alt-del all i see on the bottom is "Protection Error". There was only 1 time when i managed to read it and it said that there was a debugger detected and that i should close it :/

what is a debugger really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugger

Did you try it while McAfee is disabled?

If not, we see if we can get a TeamViewer session together, I'm afraid I can't help you from here anymore.

XSamatan

Any news? Did you get it to run properly?

*sigh* I've tried everything

On the McAfee i've turned off everything and it still wouldn't work =[

Thanks for the help XSamatan anyway :)
    If you guys could solve the problem that'll be great :) if not- i'll keep installed and i'll continue to wait till someone finds the problem :)

Thanks again :)

Check your PM's