Thread: Shogun 2 Multiplayer Expectations and Wanted List.

Default Shogun 2 Multiplayer Expectations and Wanted List.

Multiplayer was the main part of the the original for me, what are are our expectations and hopes for the multiplayer of the upcoming remake? Heres some from me.

1, I like NTWs MP but its missing a MP chat room that Shogun had with public and private conversation options that the community used, which im kind of lost without as its taken a lot of the personal side of the MP away for me.

2, Online Campaign.

3, Lone Wolf and Cub as a hero unit? sorry getting into fantasy samurai mode here.

4, Balanced Units.

Last edited by Sp00n; 06-04-2010 at 17:09.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Default Re: Shogun 2 Multiplayer Expectations and Wanted List.

Multiplayer campaign would be dream come true.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Agreed. Something where You don't have to fish for a saved file. I understand it will be slow but that will make it more like a grand chess game.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Balanced units and a online ranking system like the original had.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

I hope that there is a little more variety between factions in terms of units for MP. One of the best things about R:TW MP was the decisions you'd have to make with the variety of units.

- A return to the tactical structure of the original Total War games. Less units, faster gameplay and a simple yet effective rock-paper-scissors. It's amazing how a simple sword>spear, spear>cavalry and cavalry>swords can be fantastically fun. This is by far the major appeal of the game.

- Every Total War game brings to the table its own brand of role-playing. MTW had its knights and castles. RTW had its democratic clans and raw nature. Shogun's setting is all about honour, loyalty and the art of war. I hope STW2 is able to recapture the mood of the STW community as it once was. Remember the Honour Society someone? Remember the total respect people had for their 'daimyos'?

- Online foyer and chatroom.

- Last but not least, one of the biggest challenges of STW2 will be upgrading the visuals, going 3D and all that without losing gameplay. Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened with Rome: Total War that made at least half of the STW/MTW1 online community quit. Recapturing the 'feel' of the game is far more important than just upgrading the bells and whistles.

KenchiTera
    KenchiTera
    Evil is within us...
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Well for me the main priority is to get a working general chat lobby back, similar to what we had prior to Empire. As to the other things, I would just hope that they wouldn't follow the demands of all those faction diversity goons and keep the units simple. We don't need difference between factions to make the game interesting...
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1093664p1.html ...I'm actually getting a good feeling about this, and I'll have broadband again by then, so it'll hopefully be like the good old days... but with better graphics and sea battles - I just hope my PC can handle it
    When an evil masochist dies, does he go to hell...
    ...or would heaven be a better punishment?

I've long since given up on them actually improving the game. If they can just stop messing it up more and more upon each release and get it back to where it was 10+ years ago, I'll be happy. Hell, go back to 2d if that helps.

As excited as i am about shogun2 i wont actually buy it without a mp foyer for chat, i like ntw alot but i cannot get into it because of the lack of a foyer it just makes the mp experience so bland and shallow.
    That said ntw is a good game and im sure stw2 will be a good game.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    If they don't make multiplayer campaign then at least hotseat(a la M2TW) option should be made available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    If they don't make multiplayer campaign then at least hotseat(a la M2TW) option should be made available.
    Agreed completely.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

From Totalwar.com game description of Shogun 2:

"A complete single and multiplayer offering:

Play through the Main Campaign in single player or invite a friend online to play competitively or cooperatively in Campaign Multiplayer mode. Join 8-player multiplayer battles with your own upgradable avatar and climb the online Leaderboard to show the world who reigns supreme. Also including exciting new modes of team play for clans, a first in the Total War series."
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

This is too good to be true but I am gonna bet it's all true and well done to boot!

- Co-Op/online campaign
    - Return of the 4v4
    - Return of the online scoreboard

Some screenshots from the game is what we need now.

Looks good.. :)

The Order of Kenchikuka

Less is more. No need for more fancy graphics, PJ is spot on, 2D would be fine if the game was balanced and reliable.
    We used to do 4v4 on 56k so 4v4 should be expected. What about 5v5 or 6v6?
    Online lobby with the atmosphere of STW.
    Nicest of all would be a return of of all those old names.

Blog Entries

It appears Shogun has quite a reactionary fan base.

These TV Tropes articles come to mind (but hopefully not this one...)

Did i mention a foyer?

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

1) rock-paper-scissors, balance!

2) MP foyer

3) 4v4
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Are they going to bring back the ladder? That was a good incentive to improve your MP tactics and change them from time to time. Besides which I once hit the dizzy heights of being 95th* or summat.

*Out of 30 000 -ish.

Oh and yes please a foyer in MP. I have vivid memories of chatting to friends and enemies alike. It really held the MP community together.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    Did i mention a foyer?
    Lets mention it again.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Now that the technology exists for units to dismount and mount their horses, I would like to see General units with the ability similar to NER.

Plus a variety of other units as well.
    Fix resetting of specialty units and stats for Shogun II, still not able to, hmmmm.
    Plug pullers epitomize what a true loser is.
    NEXT TOTAL WAR AFTER ROME II: HAS TO BE CHINA!

Dont worry about mp campaign its on the fact sheet.

"A Complete Single And Multiplayer Offering: Play through the Main Campaign in single player or invite a friend online to play competitively or cooperatively in Campaign Multiplayer mode. Join 8-player multiplayer battles with your own upgradable avatar and climb the online Leaderboard to show the world who reigns supreme. Also including exciting new modes of team play for clans, a first in the Total War series."

"Also including exciting new modes of team play for clans, a first in the Total War series" This sounds interesting although im not sure what it will be :)

Buddha

If there is indeed a multiplayer campaign, as I read somewhere, I hope there's various co-op type options, including allowing more than one player to play the same faction somehow or perhaps certain scenarios/objectives (or those mini-campaigns consisting of battles like in Warlord) where you work together with different factions.

I'm curious as to how they could implement a multiplayer campaign without either having to auto-resolve all the battles or without it becoming very long and slow-moving. (Co-op would be less of a problem here too though, not that I don't also want a competitive MP campaign).

Most of all though I'd like balanced and individuated (by which I mean each is uniquely useful) units as others have already said.

EDIT: LOL, have to read whole thread next time, just saw the above post says there will be co-op style. Interesting, wondering how they will implement this then. Shared decisions or each controlling different aspect of the faction?
    Last edited by General Malaise; 06-12-2010 at 09:16.
    "Cutting down the enemy is the Way of strategy and there is no need for many refinements of it." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Wind Book

Age of Discovery: Total War - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=381499
    ZenMod for Shogun2 - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=445862

I have my doubts with the Hero units however. I was hoping it would be historical.
    Fix resetting of specialty units and stats for Shogun II, still not able to, hmmmm.
    Plug pullers epitomize what a true loser is.
    NEXT TOTAL WAR AFTER ROME II: HAS TO BE CHINA!

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They promised mp-campaign in ETW as well when they were advertising ETW. And where was it?
    These I hope to see in S2TW:
    1. MP battles
    2. Hotseat campaign
    3. MP campaign

I personally prefer hotseat campaigns over mp ones.

Actually i think balance has been a false obsession.

There is a very simple way to ensure balance along with variety with different sized armies, differently matched armies and different types of terrain.

The way to do this is to have one player set up the battle choosing the two sides factions and gold values and who is attacker and who defender (which ought not necessarily be the same) and the battle map, be it siege, mountains or whatever.

Then this is hosted as a battle offer, and the person who accepts the game gets to choose which of the two sides he/she will play.

This will allow totally varied battle types, yet nonetheless, balanced overall since the chooser will typically go for the side they think can win and so the battle creator will avoid having one side obviously stronger since he/she will inevitably be left with the weaker side.

in addition this possibliity will allow finely setup battles as part of an offline campaign without much work by CA
    Last edited by Marcus Caelius; 06-13-2010 at 12:24.