Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposition 8 declared unconstitutional

Default Proposition 8 declared unconstitutional

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/08...ands_vict.html

Sorry hetero couples, now that the gays can marry, obviously your love means nothing anymore. Just take your marriage certificate and burn it since it's now just a piece of paper in the eyes of god now.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Proposition 8 declared unconstitutional

I'm betting the 9th will uphold this ruling on the appeal, and it will go to the Supremes. Which should be hilarious.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Do people really care that much whether homosexuals can marry?
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    I guess? I only care because the gays have been hitch-hiking up to Canada for their marriage. For the past few years, I had to hold my tongue when a couple guys would emerge from a church, with one partner suddenly lustily eyeing me up and the more testosterone-induced partner getting angry.

It sucks where I live, but this is how it is. Plus it's really hard gettin' ahead in life when you have dark skin.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

If only having marriages for heterosexual couples is unconstitutional, I don't see how allowing marriages for homosexuals as well can suddenly make marriage constitutional.

OK so homosexuals were denied the right to marry in the past, but what about asexuals* or people who can't get married for various reasons? How are they being discriminated against any less than homosexuals were?

* Yes, people will point out that asexuals can marry, but that is akin to the old argument that heterosexual-only marriage laws didn't discriminate against homosexual men, since they could still marry a woman like any other man!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a crock of BS.

Who needs legislatures or constitutions anymore? We can just have judges declare what's a right and what isn't.

It's ridiculous that this judge could declare a part of the California Constitution unconstitutional.

This isn't justice. It's a judge deciding based on what he believes the law should be, not what it is.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    What a crock of BS.

Who needs legislatures or constitutions anymore? We can just have judges declare what's a right and what isn't.

It's ridiculous that this judge could declare a part of the California Constitution unconstitutional.

This isn't justice. It's a judge deciding based on what he believes the law should be, not what it is.

CR
    Yes, it is ridiculous that a Federal judge can declare part of a state constitution, unconstitutional to the Federal constitution as if it is subservient to it. Which it is, which is also why America has been going downhill for the past 145 years.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homophobes can exit on the left, or come out of the closet.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I guess? I only care because the gays have been hitch-hiking up to Canada for their marriage. For the past few years, I had to hold my tongue when a couple guys would emerge from a church, with one partner suddenly lustily eyeing me up and the more testosterone-induced partner getting angry.

It sucks where I live, but this is how it is. Plus it's really hard gettin' ahead in life when you have dark skin.
    Wow, you managed to mention your incredible sexiness and being discriminated against in one and the same post...

I don't know why people mind that much as long as you don't force priests to marry them.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Wow, you managed to mention your incredible sexiness and being discriminated against in one and the same post...
    Dat's how I roll.

I don't know why people mind that much as long as you don't force priests to marry them.
    Yeah, I know. Who cares, provided it doesn't interfere in one's own personal life? Ok, yeah sure, it's akward when a gay guy hits on you, but life isn't perfect.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 08-05-2010 at 01:25.

Thread.

I'm torn on this. While I agree with their sentiments, I share CR's concerns about their method. Prop 8 meant something - that a slight majority of Californians, buoyed specifically by blacks, are as ignorant as they are intolerant. Regardless, the people's will and the process should be respected.

Activists should be focused on changing hearts and minds, not winning court battles. Although I don't really blame them for using the courts as every other pressure group in America does, including the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas
    I didn't know you hung around church entrances so much. In any event, if you're that dead sexy to lure a newlywed away from his partner, you wouldn't think your skin color would be much of a problem.

What a crock of BS.

CR
    Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    I'm torn on this. While I agree with their sentiments, I share CR's concerns about their method. Prop 8 meant something - that a slight majority of Californians, buoyed specifically by blacks, are as ignorant as they are intolerant. Regardless, the people's will and the process should be respected.
    Well if you two so strongly believe in the majority's right to determine and interpret the laws, promote a Constitutional amendment to dismantle the courts and our republic form of government and have every single issue and challenge be handled by a pure democratic vote.

When a single person decides that blacks can't eat in his restaurant because they are "physically inferior due to their breed" he is discriminating and it is wrong.
    When the majority of a couple million voters decides that gays can't marry in their state because they are "morally inferior due to their defiance of 'my' God's laws", it is Democracy and it is right.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 08-05-2010 at 04:32.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

One of the many purposes of law is also to protect minorities from majorities, specifically the ignorant and intolerant ones.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    One of the many purposes of law is also to protect minorities from majorities, specifically the ignorant and intolerant ones.
    Indeed.

Best way is to drop a goodwin. If they wanted to bring back the holocaust via a vote majority, does it make it right?

Because that is basically the issue.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Well if you two so strongly believe in the majority's right to determine and interpret the laws, promote a Constitutional amendment to dismantle the courts and our republic form of government and have every single issue and challenge be handled by a pure democratic vote.
    What will you say if the 9th deems it constitutional, or more likely, the Supreme Court?

When a single person decides that blacks can't eat in his restaurant because they are "physically inferior due to their breed" he is discriminating and it is wrong.
    It may be wrong but it shouldn't be illegal.

When the majority of a couple million voters decides that gays can't marry in their state because they are "morally inferior due to their defiance of 'my' God's laws", it is Democracy and it is right.
    Discrimination is a wholly subjective concept. That is why sexual orientation didn't make it into the civil rights of the '60s. I believe that changing people's minds about the nature of homosexuality is important. That's really all I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar
    Best way is to drop a goodwin. If they wanted to bring back the holocaust via a vote majority, does it make it right?

Because that is basically the issue.
    No. It isn't. The issue is a legal delineation that grants people certain tax and hospital benefits.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 08-05-2010 at 08:28.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Changed my mind on it, but the people who care have arguments that can't be just dismissed.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I think the threshold for constitutional ammedments in California is simply too low (50% +1). Requiring a 2/3s or even a 60% would make a clearer statement about the will of the people on a given constitutional issue. Constitutions address issues of personal rights and governance -- they should not be subject to the whims of a paper-thin majority. That too can be a form of tyranny.

Marriage, for me, is more than a civil union. It is a sacrament of my faith. As such, the term holds religious and spiritual connotations as well as denoting all of the civil rights and responsibilities. Though my church opposes same-sex marriage, I have stated before in these threads that I would have little or no objection to ALL persons declaring "civil union" status via the civil authorities and letting my church handle the sacrament of matrimony as it sees fit among its own.

I doubt that will be allowed to happen, however, since it appears clear that the purpose of the same-sex marriage movement is not just to establish unions that have all the normal rights and privileges thereunto appertaining, but to specifically co-opt the term "marriage." Should the churches change it to "matrimony," the same-sex marriage movement will become the "same-sex matrimony" movement. The goal is to FORCE acceptance of their lifestyle as normal, equal, and worthy -- reserving no terms, appelations, or concepts of any kind to same-sex unions and lifestyles.

I'd like to think that, were I gay, I would be more concerned over establishing equal treatment under the law and less concerned about trying to re-section the entire culture at a pace that it never accepts. On the other hand, it's easy to see how -- already part of a relatively rare minority -- I might become particularly adamant about attempting to force such change.

All in all, I wish we'd get some unquestionable research as to being gay being a "nature" issue and not "nurture." This would force some re-thinking that would probably be useful.

Constitutionally, the Constitution of the U.S. contains provisions noting that state costitutions cannot contravene the U.S. Constitution and that states should extend full faith and credit to those decisions made by another state pursuant to its Constitution. However, the power to issue licenses (including marriage) as well as to establish constitutional provisions regarding voter age etc. are reserved to the states. There are arguments to be made from either perspective.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    All in all, I wish we'd get some unquestionable research as to being gay being a "nature" issue and not "nurture." This would force some re-thinking that would probably be useful.
    It really doesn't matter. What matters is that it is not a conscious choice, and if you've ever known a gay person you know that is the truth.

Blog Entries

It really doesn't matter. What matters is that it is not a conscious choice, and if you've ever known a gay person you know that is the truth.
    Not totally... it is more that "homosexual" feelings are natural in all of us. Deciding to follow through with our desires are our choice, having those desires exactly aren't.

You have male role-models and idols. There is 'Guy Love'. There are males in the media and other places which you can sit there and go "They look attractive". Perhaps you are fond of a male posters posts on this forum, perhaps a giggly feeling of joy when Lemur, Strike for the South, etc decide to post? Even on the basic level, loving your father is loving a man, and having strong emotions towards a male.

Having such feelings doesn't mean you want to grab the nearest pot of vasaline. It is just natural feelings that we all have.

It doesn't actually need to be directed towards members of a sex. There are pets, objections and random things. Even for those who actually have sexual behaviours in the forms of paraphillia, such as sexual attractions to objects. Does this mean that having a foot fetish means you have a sexual attraction to feet gene?

Ultimately, we all have preferences, they are shaped through our life based on experiences and emotions, and situation. Why do some people prefer chocolate to coffee, and others prefer coffee to chocolate? Why can some people not stand them at all? These are all things which shape our preferences and end up resulting in who we are. Are we Republican or Democrat based on genes? Is the strong distaste for the other because of genetic factors?

If anything, the churches strict code for male and female, and on top of that, only one male with one female, for life, is a very adnormal and unnatural system. It is far more natural to be sexually curious and interest in multiple partners, then never to have intercourse untill you courted this one person for a long period of time, till you decide to 'tie the knot'.

If you want to be really blunt and honest about this entire issue, you can simply get rid of 'Marriage' all together. All it is, is glorified social enginneering in a form of a tax cut. If you keep 'marriage' to the churches, and it is up to the church itself if two people are now marriaged before the lord, it is their choices. It doesn't have to have any relationship to the law of the land itself. For issues such as Wills and Children, you simply do what we do anyway, with birth certificates and wills, which are themselves a contract stating wishes or having responsibility of a child.

tl;dr, only thing unnatural in this thread is the act of marriage itself, and especially the legal enforcement of social enginneering, while it should be left alone to the churches themselves, if the two people before them are 'marriage before the lord' or not.

( "homosexual" in the quotes means attraction to a male member of society [or female if you are female], it doesn't mean it is a sexual one. )
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-05-2010 at 06:36.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

I think the threshold for constitutional ammedments in California is simply too low (50% +1). Requiring a 2/3s or even a 60% would make a clearer statement about the will of the people on a given constitutional issue. Constitutions address issues of personal rights and governance -- they should not be subject to the whims of a paper-thin majority. That too can be a form of tyranny.

Marriage, for me, is more than a civil union. It is a sacrament of my faith. As such, the term holds religious and spiritual connotations as well as denoting all of the civil rights and responsibilities. Though my church opposes same-sex marriage, I have stated before in these threads that I would have little or no objection to ALL persons declaring "civil union" status via the civil authorities and letting my church handle the sacrament of matrimony as it sees fit among its own.

I doubt that will be allowed to happen, however, since it appears clear that the purpose of the same-sex marriage movement is not just to establish unions that have all the normal rights and privileges thereunto appertaining, but to specifically co-opt the term "marriage." Should the churches change it to "matrimony," the same-sex marriage movement will become the "same-sex matrimony" movement. The goal is to FORCE acceptance of their lifestyle as normal, equal, and worthy -- reserving no terms, appelations, or concepts of any kind to same-sex unions and lifestyles.

I'd like to think that, were I gay, I would be more concerned over establishing equal treatment under the law and less concerned about trying to re-section the entire culture at a pace that it never accepts. On the other hand, it's easy to see how -- already part of a relatively rare minority -- I might become particularly adamant about attempting to force such change.

Constitutionally, the Constitution of the U.S. contains provisions noting that state costitutions cannot contravene the U.S. Constitution and that states should extend full faith and credit to those decisions made by another state pursuant to its Constitution. However, the power to issue licenses (including marriage) as well as to establish constitutional provisions regarding voter age etc. are reserved to the states. There are arguments to be made from either perspective.
    I most respectfully do not agree. I do not see this as part of a "homosexual agenda" to have other's lifestyle's socially accepted. Perhaps it is a case of a few ruining it for the many, but my overall perceptions and in talking to my gay and lesbian friends gets me the same response, every time. It's about being able to have the same rights and privileges under the law for things such as inheritance, family matters, healthcare, and the myriad other things that we all take for granted. And no, these are not things that can be easily fixed with available legal instruments, nor should they in my opinion when the law should treat all equally.

As for the religious aspects, I could give less than a crap. There's a reason for separation of church and state. Withholding the same right to a "civil union" is wrong. How the churches deal with this, I don't give a hoot, nor is that a legal or civil matter at all and the religious institutions should be free to view it however they please.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Is Beskar tryna hit on me?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Is Beskar tryna hit on me?
    Depends on if you are secretly Pocahontas, or not.

Big Sav has a song called "Pocahontas."

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One part of the judge's ruling was that gender is no longer a defining part of marriage.

What makes him better able to decide that then the millions of voters who voted to pass prop 8?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

You are absolutely 100% correct on your first paragraph. I have nothing else to say about that.

You second paragraph though bothers me. Just because you want a particular service to not be serviced to a particular group, no matter what significance such service has to you doesn't mean it is allowed. Treat marriage as we do with businesses and other services, if it's something you can't help, don't discriminate if it is, then change your attitude or GTFO. Homosexuality is not something you can change any more then skin color. Also by having their own "separate but equal" civil union while you have your marriage, you are repeating history all over again.

The purpose of the same-sex marriage movement has been to be treated the same as heterosexuals in America, including having access to the same services under the same name. Again, having "hetero marriages" and "homo civil unions" is not different then "white drinking fountains" and "black garden hoses" you can say that both the fountain and garden hose provide the same water but you can't say that this is how a society based upon equality and unlimited opportunity is structured.

Your third paragraph puzzles me. The point of repealing Prop 8 is to establish equal treatment under the law, that was the main point brought by the judge, that the proposition violated the "Equal Protection" clause. They are not attempting to force society accept them, they are forcing government to accept them under the law as equals and the bigots who think differently are attempting to force the government to not accept them.

Gay is a nature thing, not a nurture thing. I know this, every gay knows this.

The power/ability to reject marriage licenses from other states is a violation of the Full Faith Clause and it would certainly be struck down by the Supreme Court or any Federal judge if it were ever challenged. The Constitution makes no clause giving marriage licenses an exception to the rule.

PJ is absolutely right here. Wait, did I just say that?

One part of the judge's ruling was that gender is no longer a defining part of marriage.

What makes him better able to decide that then the millions of voters who voted to pass prop 8?

CR
    Probably being qualified as an impartial Judge and having access to/utilizing during his deliberations sociology texts/doctorates detailing the changes in American society since the 1960s makes him a better shall we say...judge on the role of genders in America then 7 million Christians (not even close a majority of Californians who number around 37 million) shouting "JESUS SAYS MAN AND WOMAN, THAT'S HOW IT IS!"

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I'd like to think that, were I gay, I would be more concerned over establishing equal treatment under the law and less concerned about trying to re-section the entire culture at a pace that it never accepts.
    Agreed, they shouldn't want it in the first place. I still feel that way, it's intrusive. But society does keep up so I am no longer against it.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One church should not be there to enforce its narrow views on everyone else. most churches probably don't see other marriages as binding - so what? I hope we're above letting such nonsense rule our societies.

Society never accepts any change to start with. If we did change as slow as society could deal with South USA would be either owning slaves or certainly having secregation. Being against change always is fine for those with what they want already.

I can't cite, but I'm sure I've read research that shows animals of many different types act "gay" - male animals trying to mount others etc. BUT I'm sure it'd be argued that this eas down to Nurture - unnatural stresses in the group or somesuch.

I agree with the sentiment that monogamy and marriage is probably a more unnatural state than being gay, and has been enforced over the years to the detriment of millions of women, children and men who have put up with unfulfilling, loveless and often violent relationships as the alternative was either religiously sanctioned exile or even death.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

I think this is a government decision, if the government wants to allow them to get tax benefits and use the same family name, then it can tell its servants to act accordingly, and give them legal marriage status.
    If they do however want to get a church marriage from a priest who, according to his religious beliefs, thinks that homosexuality is a sin and does not want to marry them, then it becomes ridiculous(I think we discussed such a case here a few years ago).

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast