Thread: after installing cannot open game

Default after installing cannot open game

hello,

having major trouble trying to run the eb game when i click on the short cut it says that " execution of command RomeTw.exe -mod:eb failed " i did see in trouble shooting a sort of way to fix this but i could nt understand how exactly to did it

any suggestions?

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: after installing cannot open game

Welcome to the forum!
    In case you missed it, heres the EB-FAQ:https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84854

You mean this?
    Modify the shortcut target. Move the end quote from the end of the line to directly after RomeTW.exe and it should work (goes for both the new shortcuts in 1.2). For instance, instead of "C:\My games\RomeEB\RomeTW.exe -mod:eb -show_err -ne" it should be "C:\My games\RomeEB\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -ne
    At which point do you have problems?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

yeah im unsure how to do that as i cannot find the short cut " RomeTW.exe" i typed it in serch and it led me to to a file called "ebconfig" which is an XML document found in my folder/ rome total war/ data/ ebconfig.xml

i did find a sentence in here that reads: "RomeTW.exe -mod:eb" however i cannot modify the sentence in the XML document or any other writing in the document

also im running RTW gold which is BI and RTW and i have vista but i followed instructions and installed the game in a folder in desktop instead of program files.

any idea of how i can overcome this?

Way1: Inside your RTW folder you will find a thing named "EB-Play", this is the shortcut you'll have to edit according to the linked advise.

Way2: Make yourself a new shortcut to RTW.exe. Right click on ROME-TW.exe and select "create shortcut". Edit this by adding -mod:eb -show_err -ne to the end of the target line.

XSamatan

thanks for the advice however i ran into a couple of issues

1. could not find "EB-play" in my rtw folder and when i tyed it in search it came up with the file "campaign_descriptions" had a look in there and still could not find eb play

2. when i went to make a short cut and change the name i could not add the : and " symbols because my stupid computer says you cannot put these symbols in a file name

thank you for your infinite patience and wisdon :)

You don't have to edit the name, right click on the new created shortcut and select 'properties'. There you'll see a line titled 'Target'. You now add -mod:eb -show_err -ne to the end of this line. Without any " or ' !

XSamatan

yeah worked fine cheers mate, thank you muchly for the help :)

Glad it works now for you, enjoy the game!

I'm having the same error message come up when I try to start the game. I've tried the second fix that you recommended to Westy but it continues to give me the same error message. I was wondering if this is because I've installed EB in the programs files which I've seen a lot of people recommending not to do?

Thanks!

If you edited the target file as seen in this thread, it is quite possible that Windows don't let you change this detail.
    You can either create a complete new shortcut to Rome-TW.exe or, better, install again, but this time outside from the Program Files.

XSamatan