Poll: Would you vote for an Atheist?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you vote for an Atheist?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Would you vote for an Atheist?

Cute Wolf referred me to a wikipedia entry on discrimination of Atheists. While I was aware of some of it, I never realised how the situation abroad was.

So two questions I would like to hear answered:
    -Would you ever consider to vote for an Atheist?
    -If not, do you mind Atheists holding office?

Edit:
    Perhaps a last additional question. Do you consider Atheists to be 'discriminated' or frowned upon in your country of residence?
    Last edited by Moros; 08-18-2010 at 17:46.

Default Re: Would you vote for an Atheist?

I'd prefer it.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In Britain, Athiests/Secularists are preferred, because of the cultural significance of viewing religious types mainly as fruitcakes. If an American-style politician did his whole big show-tell about going to church and how god is backing him, and other general nonsense, they would be laughed out of the room as the fool they are.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    In Britain, Athiests/Secularists are preferred, because of the cultural significance of viewing religious types mainly as fruitcakes. If an American-style politician did his whole big show-tell about going to church and how god is backing him, and other general nonsense, they would be laughed out of the room as the fool they are.
    In Belgium I think both are accepted. Some will have their preference. But all in all, most people don't care wether the prime minister is Catholic, Protestant or Atheist. Though I'm sure it would get controversial if he was to be Islamic. Strangely the wikipedia entry: quoted some research saying that most americans would prefer someone of Islamic believe over an Atheist. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrim...ainst_atheists).

Either way the poll currently is showing more what I expected.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I said yes but really I would vote for the best politician or at least the least worst one
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Yes, of course I would, I should probably add that I am an atheist too. Of course policies would be the deciding factor, not the belief system or lack there of.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I think I already have, multiple times. How many politicians are genuinely religious? Very few, I would imagine. And their genuineness is probably in an inverse relationship with their public religiosity.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on how annoying about it they are. Over-the-top in-your-face atheism pisses me off just as much as over-the-top in-your-face Christianity or any other religion. Nobody cares, start talking about issues that matter.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well Tony Blair did feel the need to do a Charles II and pretend to be Anglican while in office.

And that's just thinking about England. A lot of MP's in Scotland are religious, and it crosses over the parties. The Catholic Church pushes its agendas through the Labour Party, the Tories have ties with Unionism and the Orange Order, one caused controversy in refusing a gay couples access to his B&B, and the SNP had one councillor who recently called all gays sad people and said atheists were all going to burn in hell.

And that's without going into Northern Ireland, where they have a lot of very hardline Ian Paisley-esque Presbyterians, and some guys that have pretty quirky ideas (that they are descended from the 10 lost tribes of Israel etc).
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would if I agree with he/she.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

it doesnt matter to me and im a serious roman catholic.

however i cannot stand the stereotypical psuedo intellectual militant atheists.

id probably assasinate one of those suckers.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

The religion of a politician is the very last thing on my mind when I go to vote, right after "What am I gonna make for dinner tonight?"

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Their personal religious beliefs are far less relevant than policy related and leadership related factors.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Absolutely. I don't think religion should be an important factor in choosing elected officials. On the other hand, if they were to enact an anti-religion policy, that would change things.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Blog Entries

I will change my post slightly.

I have no trouble with politicians who have been to church, or was raised religious.

However, if they start talking about how god is choosing them to be president, homosexuals burn in hell and promoting creationism, I want them out of that office, asap. I have no time for non-intellectual nonsense.

If some one however goes, "I don't agree with homosexuality, but I understand the importance of homosexual rights and no problems with them adopting", that people gets some serious +rep from me. As they know what is important is not their own personal beliefs, but for the benefit of everyone as a whole.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

only one voted no. Perhaps then indeed the problem isn't really all that in the west. But then again if we hold the same poll in the bible belt...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

However, if they start talking about how god is choosing them to be president, homosexuals burn in hell and promoting creationism, I want them out of that office, asap. I have no time for non-intellectual nonsense.
    Some of a more fundamentalist approach to religion might find this offensive, Beskar, and it was not necessary to your point to take the shot.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Some of a more fundamentalist approach to religion might find this offensive, Beskar, and it was not necessary to your point to take the shot.
    Though, being honest, if they think Saying they are God's Champion for the Election. Telling people to burn in Hell, and think Creationism belongs in Science class....

Me =

It is nonsense, and it is arguably even exploition of Christian values.

Jesus taught to love your neighbour, I doubt that falls under telling people they are going to burn in hell. Also man has no right to judge, judgement is reserved right of the father in Heaven, only he may judge who goes to heaven and who does no.
    "Judge not, that ye be not judged."
    "How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Jesus praises the meek, he doesn't want people showing off their charity donations and using the Lord names in vain as his false champions.
    "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

As for the Creation, it is a Story written by man, showing how God created the world. There is even seven different versions of it in Judaism. If the religion they took it from had seven different versions, what makes them think the one they have is the correct one? What does it have to do with Science?

I can even give a Christian ideological answer to why they are phonies and should be cast down from Office and I can give a non-religious answer to why as well. They are phonies, frauds and abusers of religion.
    Last edited by Beskar; 08-19-2010 at 04:49.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Apparently we've got out first Atheist PM.

Too bad I don't like her.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

As an atheist: yes. But I really couldn't give a **** if she/he has **** policies. And Lemur is right in that many politicians are probably fakes in regards to religion. That might change though, since 2007 we have had our first self recognized atheist in Congress.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Being irreligious myself, I would probably consider it a mark in their favor, much the same way people of one religion tend to favor people of that religion. This person would probably represent my viewpoint more closely, and especially as it relates to public policy, take no religious approach whatsoever, and oppose religious influence on policy.

However there would certainly be non-religious people I wouldn't vote for. It's not my top priority.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I would never vote for a non-atheistremoved.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 08-20-2010 at 04:23.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

I live in a different western country and YES
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Different 'western' country and YES, but not because they are Atheist, religion has no bearing on who I choose.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The religion doesn't, but it might influence the policies that one comes up with.

E.G. I would vote for a Christian, but not one that was campaigning on banning all trading on Sundays / pogrom against gays / compulsory Church on Sundays for example.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

I would vote for an Athiest, I don't have anything against them as I am one myself. Not many politicians here in the UK are really outspoken about there personal beliefs or lack thereof so I don't know whether I have voted for a religious person or not in the past.

I have to admit though that finding out Nick Clegg was an Athiest a few weeks before the election was a deciding factor in my voting Lib Dem.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    banning all trading on Sundays
    Why not? This is very good to protect small businesses against big corporations.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd rather increase consumer choice than force me into not doing any shopping on one of the two days in a week that I get off.

Small businesses can hire staff just as any other enterprise can.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I'd rather increase consumer choice than force me into not doing any shopping on one of the two days in a week that I get off.

Small businesses can hire staff just as any other enterprise can.

Sunday staff is more expansive and many small businesses cannot afford it, big businesses can so people will shop there for the rest of the week as well, small business loses customers and goes bankrupt. Things are not as simple as they seem.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Noooo! Atheists telling Christians what to believe, my pet peeve of all time. This is as bad as that thread where atheists said women shouldn't wear the burka because it's no in the koran.

Jesus taught to love your neighbour, I doubt that falls under telling people they are going to burn in hell. Also man has no right to judge, judgement is reserved right of the father in Heaven, only he may judge who goes to heaven and who does no.
    "Judge not, that ye be not judged."
    "How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
    First of, Jesus regulalry told people himself that they were going to "burn in hell". And as John said, "the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son" (John 5:22), so no that right isn't reserved to the father.

Furthermore, Matthew 7:1 is the verse most commonly taken out of context in the whole Bible. Although you did at least show the next bit, where he says sort yourself out, and then you can admonish your brother! That requires judgment. Paul himself was happy to use his judgment, as he wrote "For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed" (1 Cor 5:3).

Jesus praises the meek, he doesn't want people showing off their charity donations and using the Lord names in vain as his false champions.
    "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
    Being meek in spirit has nothing to do with your temporal power. Otherwise we should discard every said by Moses, David, and half the Old Testament characters! The point is they got where they were by trusting in God and not in their own strenght, hence why God always chooses the younger son as with Isaac and then Jacob etc, to show that they only get what the achieve by his power, not their own strength.

As for the Creation, it is a Story written by man, showing how God created the world. There is even seven different versions of it in Judaism. If the religion they took it from had seven different versions, what makes them think the one they have is the correct one? What does it have to do with Science?
    A better question would be what does "science" have to do with this thread?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast