Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: V&V OOC/Signup Thread I

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: V&V OOC/Signup Thread I

My sympathies Ignoramus, I was in much the same position with Sigismund. Also, please post the updated save.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    we really can't just steamroller the AI like we would do in a SP game - because it is all human controlled!

So we need to be careful how we proceed and not make too many enemies at once.
    I think that choice has been taken from us, at least until we make terms with a few of the many current enemies.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Becker View Post
    I think that choice has been taken from us, at least until we make terms with a few of the many current enemies.
    Despite the clown face, this is a serious point. If I were coordinate France, Hungary, Poland, Milan and Venice that would be too much of an advantage for even the vast difference in skill between the players and the battle AI to bridge. That is why now, only France is human-controlled. Honestly I think I was overambitious with the hotseat function, and I intend to scale it back a bit. It may be that splitting the player factions resources between the players is enough to make things suitable difficult.

Hi all, nice to see the games' going strong! I still don't have the time to start participating (you wouldn't BELIEVE how much time (and space) a 1.5 year old takes!) but I check the forums occasionally to see how things are going.

Alphonse la Hire - Veteran of many battles seeking new employment
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vartholomaios Ksiros
    Grand Master of the Order of St. John
    Prince of Antioch and Protector of Levant

Blog Entries

Nice to see you're still around, Rowan. Good luck with your kid!

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil XIX View Post
    Despite the clown face, this is a serious point. If I were coordinate France, Hungary, Poland, Milan and Venice that would be too much of an advantage for even the vast difference in skill between the players and the battle AI to bridge. That is why now, only France is human-controlled. Honestly I think I was overambitious with the hotseat function, and I intend to scale it back a bit. It may be that splitting the player factions resources between the players is enough to make things suitable difficult.
    I like the challenge! We do need to buy ourselves some breathing space though...apart from the Kaiser and Prinz everyone is pretty much bankrupt and without armies.
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Hi all, nice to see the games' going strong! I still don't have the time to start participating (you wouldn't BELIEVE how much time (and space) a 1.5 year old takes!) but I check the forums occasionally to see how things are going.
    Believe it or not but I do(I have 4 year old )

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

Hello,

First off I'd like to apologize for simply vanishing about two months ago, I should have said something. I got rather busy and distracted by other things, having only this game and mafia games in the gameroom as attachments to the Org, I soon stopped visiting all together.

Talking to Zim has gotten me back in the mood for on of these games and I more or less have the free time. (I hope) So seeing as old Vaclav is still alive and still assigned to me, can I jump back into the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Oh, can I be put on the queue list for a new avatar? Thanks.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent, looks like we're getting the band back together.

Now, if only we could get some of the Throne Room ghosts back in here...
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

If I were coordinate France, Hungary, Poland, Milan and Venice that would be too much of an advantage for even the vast difference in skill between the players and the battle AI to bridge. That is why now, only France is human-controlled. Honestly I think I was overambitious with the hotseat function, and I intend to scale it back a bit. It may be that splitting the player factions resources between the players is enough to make things suitable difficult.
    Just a few more thoughts on this.

You're right that you could combine all the different factions' forces and wipe us out. However, it's unlikely you'd ever do that as it wouldn't be realistic, unless of course we were really dumb and just went around picking fights with everyone at the same time.

I think there's a lot of scope to make the game richer using the hotseat function so I wouldn't give up on it yet - for example you could play out realistic wars between factions on our borders, you could develop their infrastructure in a sensible way (like a human would do) so that they become more of an implicit threat to us, things like that..best thing is you can dip in and out of it depending on how much time you have.

You could even use your god's eye view to give us snippets of information about the outside world, a diplomatic report if you like. I know I'd enjoy that and it would add to the immersion and give opportunities for roleplay.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

You're right that you could combine all the different factions' forces and wipe us out. However, it's unlikely you'd ever do that as it wouldn't be realistic, unless of course we were really dumb and just went around picking fights with everyone at the same time.

I think there's a lot of scope to make the game richer using the hotseat function so I wouldn't give up on it yet - for example you could play out realistic wars between factions on our borders, you could develop their infrastructure in a sensible way (like a human would do) so that they become more of an implicit threat to us, things like that..best thing is you can dip in and out of it depending on how much time you have.

You could even use your god's eye view to give us snippets of information about the outside world, a diplomatic report if you like. I know I'd enjoy that and it would add to the immersion and give opportunities for roleplay.
    I second every part of this.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Blog Entries

The big problem, on my end, is how many roles I'm going to play. By default I have to be GM. I'd also like to play as Lothar Zirn. Then there's all the factions. All these roles have different priorities. As GM, I want players to have fun, participation to increase, etc. As France I (normally) want to stomp the Reich into the ground. If I play as multiple factions, how do I handle fighting against myself? I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I think we need to take it slowly.

The big problem, on my end, is how many roles I'm going to play. By default I have to be GM. I'd also like to play as Lothar Zirn. Then there's all the factions. All these roles have different priorities. As GM, I want players to have fun, participation to increase, etc. As France I (normally) want to stomp the Reich into the ground. If I play as multiple factions, how do I handle fighting against myself? I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I think we need to take it slowly.
    Yeah fair enough and of course all this is surely already a big draw on your time, so it would be dependent on your ability and willingness to take it further.

Assuming however that it is both practical and fun for you to do it - if it were me I would probably let it be 'story-led' in that I would first come up with a narrative and then 'act it out' through the various factions and characters under your control.

Say for example you wanted to simulate a war between (eg) Denmark and Poland. You might decide that the Danes want to move into Polish territory and they come up with an invasion plan (stack 'x' is assigned the job, gets on a boat and carries out the invasion). Meanwhile you decide the Poles are informed of this (they have a spy in Denmark) and ready a stack to take on the Danes. The battle will take place somewhere where the two will meet and will be determined by autoresolve. Or if for story reasons you want one of them to win you could play out the battle or use a console cheat to get it done. Etc etc.

We might find out about some or all of this on the grapevine and then have the opportunity to take advantage of it by either invading Denmark or perhaps joining them in their war against the Poles. Or ignore it completely.

Zirn might be irrelevant in this scenario but in a similar situation involving France he could play a role.

This kind of thing might only happen every once in a while, when you are struck by inspiration. The rest of the time the factions could be left to the AI or only partially interfered with (ie. you might decide to develop one decent castle in each neighbouring faction to give yourself the option of recruiting good troops, or a port for naval development. This could of course always be done quickly with console cheats.)
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-09-2011 at 01:59.

Cecil, if you want to have a break from controlling the AI and join in, then I'd be happy to take over until I get my new avatar.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

That's a good idea - share the load as it were. Bit like a succession game! First to die has to be GM until the next one dies.

That's a good idea - share the load as it were. Bit like a succession game! First to die has to be GM until the next one dies.
    Guess whom I'll be targeting first...

How long do you reckon I'll have to wait for an avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Guess whom I'll be targeting first...

How long do you reckon I'll have to wait for an avatar?
    I don't know how many people are in the queue ahead of you but for my part I'll be accepting all adoptions and MotH offers to try to get more people into the game as quickly as possible.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

If I may, I'm also willing to offer my services as Assistant GM, Cecil, should you require any assistance in managing the Empire's neighbours... I'm not ready to join yet but this might be the first step towards it..
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng View Post
    If I may, I'm also willing to offer my services as Assistant GM, Cecil, should you require any assistance in managing the Empire's neighbours... I'm not ready to join yet but this might be the first step towards it..
    Tristan controlling the AI factions?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

GH, are you going to give Flax permission to command the Frankfurt garrison in defence of the city?

The Poles are ten units plus BG, Premyslid has just three, there are four in Frankfurt and he can recruit two mercs on the Prinz' account, bringing him to nine which makes for a decent chance of victory. Without the Frankfurt spear he is only maximum five units...and the Poles have mounted xbows too

Blog Entries

I'm not giving anybody permission to do anything until I check out the save, and I can't right now (as per the post in the other thread).

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    I'm not giving anybody permission to do anything until I check out the save, and I can't right now (as per the post in the other thread).
    yeah fair enough, check it out first!

EDIT: Double post, sorry
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-17-2011 at 03:32.

If it's alright with Cecil and Tristan, I'd like to take control of France and Milan.

I'm thinking maybe Flax can beat that Polish stack in autoresolve - it's full of mounted xbows which will be a big pain on the battlemap but will suck in AR.

EDIT: Also it looks like they hired those mercs that we didn't hire last season.
    Last edited by phonicsmonkey; 02-19-2011 at 23:39.

Blog Entries

I have started a new thread for the History of the Empire. I will finish it tomorrow, and by the end of next week I will have both a Mausoleum and a Library thread.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

There still seem to be mercs in the area, or at least nearby where Vaclav is.

Wish me luck, I'm going after the group besieging Innsbruck since I can't reach Frankfurt...

I'm thinking maybe Flax can beat that Polish stack in autoresolve - it's full of mounted xbows which will be a big pain on the battlemap but will suck in AR.

EDIT: Also it looks like they hired those mercs that we didn't hire last season.
    Last edited by Zim; 02-20-2011 at 05:47.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Becker View Post
    There still seem to be mercs in the area, or at least nearby where Vaclav is.
    Phew!

Good luck buddy

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

I'd rather fight the battle myself than auto resolve, its more interesting, even if it probably will lead to Vaclav dying. I talked to Zim and the plan right now is hiring the mercs and then moving next to the army besieging Frankfurt, so if it attacks, Vaclav will fight the battle. If they don't attack, well, I'm honestly hoping for some reinforcements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast