Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Default Re: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

I edwin, after infinite failures i downloaded your latest version of mode setup. i was very pleased because the installation was ok, all the messages was positive (EB succeffully installed and so on). then i followed your instructions, english, BI, -mod:EB and then... the same result i've experienced before!
    no EB loading screen, no imperial campaign (message: select an item), imperial campaign starting with provincial campaign... nothing more than Vanilla.
    i play with appstore version.
    any suggestion?
    Chip

I followed all of jobbysucks's instructions, but when I try to access the campaign map it links it back to the Main page. What should I do?
    Last edited by Random_Total_War_Player; 02-03-2013 at 19:18.

Hi All,

I have a new 1.2.2 beta of Rome in testing, would anyone like to help test it? I have also gotten the mod to work 100% reliably using this new beta thanks to some feedback from the users in this thread.

Interested people should email terry.ester@feralinteractive.com, bonus points if people get the joke.

Edwin

Hi, am using your EB version for mac, I did everything, but when I double click the RomeData Script, the Terminal window opens and this text appears:

** Checking Rome is installed in Applications **

** Check if RomeData is already Read Write **
    /dev/disk4 Apple_partition_scheme
    /dev/disk4s1 Apple_partition_map
    /dev/disk4s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/RomeData 1
    touch: readwritecheck: Read-only file system
    logout

[Opération terminée]

What should I do? Thank you very much for your help!!

emp

A few things changed with the OS so if you want an installer you wil have to wait for the new patch for the game (and the updated script). Else you can attempt a manual installation in the meantime.

We do have some spaces left on the Rome beta if you are interested.

Edwin

I've been trying to install EB for the past day. I have RTW Gold Edition with just one game icon that has both RTW and BI and romedata.

Does anyone have a step by step guide for installing it? I tried using the script but when it gets to installing EB it says it can't copy the files do to the directory not being there.

What version do you have?

What script are you trying to use?

Where did you dowmload it from?

Also finally EB has some issues which will be fixed in a patch, I am handing out public beta access to the patches if anyone would like to test.

Edwin

I figured it out and I can confirm that I am able to play EB through BI and can save the game etc. here is what I did:

Step 1:

- Mount RomeData found in your Rome Total War folder under Applications.

- Copy both folders(Data and BI) from the mounted RomeData on to your desktop(this step is just copying the contents of the mounted RomeData into the Desktop

-Unmount RomeData once the steps above are done.

Step 2

- Create a new IMG by going to disk utility and clicking the icon "new img", you should have a screen as follows:

-use the same settings as above but for "colume size" I used 10gb enough room for EB and RTRE. Make sure that the name of the new img and volume name are both RomeData.

-click create and wait for it to finish

-No take the new RomeData IMG that you just made and copy it into the Rome Total War applications folder. This should replace the old one.

- Mount the NEW RomeData IMG

- Copy both Data and BI from your desktop into RomeData

Step 3:

- Mount your EB dmg

- Copy EB folder into your New RomeData IMG(same place you just copied Data and BI folders)

After you do that follow these steps:

-Make a copy of Rome Data\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and renamed it barbarian_invasion

-Make a copy of Rome Data\EB\Data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_se ttlement_names.txt and renamed it barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.tx t

-Delete Rome Data\EB\Data\world\maps\base\map.rwm
    - Also go to RomeData/EB/Data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/descr_strat.txt and open it with textedit

at the top it will say "Campaign Imperial_Campaign"

change "Imperial_Campaign" to "Barbarian_Invasion" without the quotes. Save it.

Step 4

- Launch the game; remember to go to the "advanced option tab" and put in -mod:EB

it takes a minute or two for the whole game to load (atleast it did for me) if you get the splash screen that says Europa Barbarorum just wait.

Thank you immensely, that procedure worked. The game still has a few issues, like the missing voices, but I hope the next patch will resolve that.
    Last edited by Belisarios; 03-16-2013 at 18:01.

Hello Edwin
    I'm also trying to install EB on my MacBook 2010. I downloaded the game from the Apple app store and downloaded the romemodsetup and EB.dmg files from the EB site. Tried to follow the instructions but came unstuck when the video appeared different to what I have on my screen. Do you have a link for specifically app store downloaded games? Thanks

Default Won't Load Campaign or Battles

Hello Total War players,

This is my first post on the site, though I have been a frequent reader and a guest for a while and a player for many years. I've always been quite happy with Vanilla RTW, but recently decided to try something new. I'm using the Gold Edition version of RTW published by Feral Interactive for Mac, and while my laptop is 4-5 years old it runs the game perfectly well. I decided to try the Mac version of Europa Barbarorum and followed the video and readme instructions as best I could (the script didn't do anything for me so I had to make a read-write copy myself with Disk Utility). I got it to load and everything absolutely fine, but when I click on "EB Main Campaign" I get the "Choose an Item from the List" box and can't go forward. I left the game and deleted the map.rwm file-- same problem. To make things more confusing, the game wouldn't launch custom battles either-- I could select armies, but when I clicked the enter game button, it sent me back to the panel where the player chooses the factions. I deleted the whole mod setup, created a new read-write RomeData, redownloaded EB, reinstalled it-- same problem. Can anyone help me?!

Thanks so much!

(PS-- same exact problem when I tried modding with Mundus Magnus instead)

Default Unusual launch crash...

Ok, so I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8, and have just downloaded Rome Total Realism and E. Barbarorum mods, both for mac.

The version of Rome I have is the gold edition off the App Store, and it is entirely up to date.

I ran the script to allow Rome to run mods, and it went completely to plan. My account is an admin account and I had more than enough space. The only unexpected thing was having to enter my password to allow the script to continue operating. Apart from that, smooth as silk.

So I did as the instruction asked and simply typed -mod:EB into the 'advanced' window, whereupon it refused to start and cited the following reason:

'RTW could not be run because the file "data:fmv:rome_title.mov" is missing from the installation.

I took that to mean the intro video which always plays when the game is booted up. I then discovered it also refuses to play the original game, as well as BI, and Realism. It also has 'locked' my video preferences and does not allow me to choose anything other that 640x400 resolution for the battles and campaign map.

I then tried to do so manually, i.e. move the EB and TR files into the RomeData directory, but again, same issue, and no joy.

Help?

lagraf05

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Default Re: Unusual launch crash...

The problem with Apple is they think they know what is better for you than you do.

This is fine for the tech ignorant masses who are in awe of the touch screen IPod, IPhone, and IPad even though Xerox copiers had touch screen technology since 1979. But it sucks for anyone else, including you apparently.

I wish I could help, but my only suggestion is to install Windows and play EB.
    Last edited by fallen851; 05-02-2013 at 15:39.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Default Re: Unusual launch crash...

Oh trust me, I'm not a Mac fan anymore. I used to be, when I first got this thing a few years ago. Now I hate it. First thing I'm doing at the end of summer is shifting straight to a fairly powerful Windows laptop running 7 64bit.

Hi Edwin,
    I've downloaded 1.3 and Managed to add EB to the bundle, but I can't successfully save a game...I've changed the bundle permissions to read/write....but I still can't save. It says "Save Failed - Can't Write Save File to Disk" -- Any ideas anyone? FYI, Vanilla saves fine, maybe it has to do with where EB saves files? Please help. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing141 View Post
    Hi Edwin,
    I've downloaded 1.3 and Managed to add EB to the bundle, but I can't successfully save a game...I've changed the bundle permissions to read/write....but I still can't save. It says "Save Failed - Can't Write Save File to Disk" -- Any ideas anyone? FYI, Vanilla saves fine, maybe it has to do with where EB saves files? Please help. thanks
    Don't use the Finder to alter permissions it will not alter the files inside the bundle which are the ones you need to modify.

1. Open Terminal (in Utilities)
    2. Type the following (without quotes but with the extra space at the end).

"sudo chmod -R 777 "

3. Then drag the Rome application into the window and release. It should look something like this.

sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/Rome\ Total\ War.app

4. Press enter then enter your admin password, it will not appear when you type, once done press enter.

5. Once it completes try the game again.

Tried this. It has not worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing141 View Post
    Tried this. It has not worked.
    Are you using the Mac App Store sandboxed version of the game? Apple have loads of wonderful anti modding restrictions in the AppStore. :(

Edwin

Hi Edwin.
    Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for taking the time to port this wonderful mod to the mac. Truly made my day.

However, I'm having trouble getting it to install. I just got the latest version of RTW for the mac (1.3, I believe). This version does not have a RomeData.dmg anywhere that I can see. It only has one application called R:TW - Gold Edition. Because of this the RomeData script cant find the proper files that it needs to. Is there a way that you know of to manually install EB, or am I just missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbagio View Post
    Hi Edwin.
    Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for taking the time to port this wonderful mod to the mac. Truly made my day.

However, I'm having trouble getting it to install. I just got the latest version of RTW for the mac (1.3, I believe). This version does not have a RomeData.dmg anywhere that I can see. It only has one application called R:TW - Gold Edition. Because of this the RomeData script cant find the proper files that it needs to. Is there a way that you know of to manually install EB, or am I just missing something?
    Is this Mac App Store or download/DVD?

Mac App Store version cannot save progress due to Apple rules on Sandbox security even if you install the current mod. If the mod is altered from a mod: switch to a standard mod it will likely allow saving as the save files will be inside the game container folder as per Apple rules not inside the game data.

None App Store copies don't have any of these issues as we don't need to strictly follow Apple's rules for the Mac App Store.

Edwin

Hi all, and especially Edwin

Hats off to Feral for releasing such an extensive update to a game they've already had out for so long! It's great work and really appreciated.

Unfortunately it's screwed my Europa Barbarorum use, though - I can't save anymore! No matter what I try (and I think I've tried all the old fixes for the problem) I still just get 'Failed to Write to Disk' when I try to save the game. Autosave doesn't work either.

It makes playing the game impossible. I'd really love some help from you or anyone on how to fix this - Europa Barbarorum is the reason I still play Rome Total War!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    Hi all, and especially Edwin

Hats off to Feral for releasing such an extensive update to a game they've already had out for so long! It's great work and really appreciated.

Unfortunately it's screwed my Europa Barbarorum use, though - I can't save anymore! No matter what I try (and I think I've tried all the old fixes for the problem) I still just get 'Failed to Write to Disk' when I try to save the game. Autosave doesn't work either.

It makes playing the game impossible. I'd really love some help from you or anyone on how to fix this - Europa Barbarorum is the reason I still play Rome Total War!
    Tarka, the answer was in my post above.

Mac App Store version cannot save progress due to Apple rules on Sandbox security even if you install the current mod. If the mod is altered from a mod: switch to a standard mod it will likely allow saving as the save files will be inside the game container folder as per Apple rules not inside the game data.

None App Store copies don't have any of these issues as we don't need to strictly follow Apple's rules for the Mac App Store.

I am kinda busy right now but perhaps when I get a spare moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin@Feral View Post
    Tarka, the answer was in my post above.

I am kinda busy right now but perhaps when I get a spare moment.

Hi Edwin, thanks very much for above and I understand you're busy (sorry).

Being something of a doofus, I dont really understand what you mean. How do I switch to a 'standard mod', and how can I know if my mod is an 'altered' mod? All I have done is downloaded Europa Barbarorum and tried to install it.

Sorry to be dumb, but I'm 31 years old and much as I used to be computer literate when I was younger I feel technology gradually running away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    Hi Edwin, thanks very much for above and I understand you're busy (sorry).

Being something of a doofus, I dont really understand what you mean. How do I switch to a 'standard mod', and how can I know if my mod is an 'altered' mod? All I have done is downloaded Europa Barbarorum and tried to install it.

Sorry to be dumb, but I'm 31 years old and much as I used to be computer literate when I was younger I feel technology gradually running away from me.
    Currently all of EB is contained in a folder called EB. If you look inside you will find it is just a collection of files in folders laid out exactly like the main game data folder. If you move all the EB files into the correct location inside the main game data folder if you start up the standard game it will load EB not Rome.

As the game thinks it is running Rome not EB it will use the (Apple allowed) Rome save game location allowing you to save your progress. However this will take a little trial and error to get right.

The Mac App Store runs by Apple's rules and modding is tricky with all the codesigning and security rules Apple demand for MAS releases. I will see if I can get an Apple store compatible version in the future so you don't have to do all this manually.

Edwin

Currently all of EB is contained in a folder called EB. If you look inside you will find it is just a collection of files in folders laid out exactly like the main game data folder. If you move all the EB files into the correct location inside the main game data folder if you start up the standard game it will load EB not Rome.

As the game thinks it is running Rome not EB it will use the (Apple allowed) Rome save game location allowing you to save your progress. However this will take a little trial and error to get right.

The Mac App Store runs by Apple's rules and modding is tricky with all the codesigning and security rules Apple demand for MAS releases. I will see if I can get an Apple store compatible version in the future so you don't have to do all this manually.

Edwin
    Thanks for all the work porting EB. It really makes an excellent game out of the RTW engine.

I've been tinkering and figuring out how to do what you describe above. So far, I merged the EB directory into the original data one, overwriting the original files. (Really merged, not mac-replaced).

I opened the preference folder from the startup dialogue and found that many of the EB subfolders that are not in the "data" directory are there... Those that were not I put there anyway for lack of a better option.

I got to the screen where you choose your faction, making the computer think EB is the original... and then CTD.

Any advice would be very welcome.
    Last edited by Totoro; 06-14-2013 at 04:08. Reason: Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
    Thanks for all the work porting EB. It really makes an excellent game out of the RTW engine.

I've been tinkering and figuring out how to do what you describe above. So far, I merged the EB directory into the original data one, overwriting the original files. (Really merged, not mac-replaced).

I opened the preference folder from the startup dialogue and found that many of the EB subfolders that are not in the "data" directory are there... Those that were not I put there anyway for lack of a better option.

I got to the screen where you choose your faction, making the computer think EB is the original... and then CTD.

Any advice would be very welcome.
    I don't have anything concrete just need to work through the errors, I am sure the CTD is a missing/incorrect file path issue that might need some minor data tweaking.

http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...ne/index.shtml

This page is handy specifically enable the -show_err command so you can see what errors happen before CTD and fix them. With the Empire patch and Napoleon coming I am pretty busy but...

For NONE Mac App Store players I have updated EB to install and run without errors and hosted it on the Feral modding area. I have also written an update script that will convert any users with the older RomeData.dmg to start using the Data folder inside the Application instead which makes modding a lot easier.

I also fixed the Rome Total Realism Mac mod and added a new mod "Fourth Age". All three mods have issues with saving progress in MAS versions. The none playable factions mod is compatible with the MAS release unlike the other mods.

http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/mods/rome/

Edwin

I don't have anything concrete just need to work through the errors, I am sure the CTD is a missing/incorrect file path issue that might need some minor data tweaking.

This page is handy specifically enable the -show_err command so you can see what errors happen before CTD and fix them. With the Empire patch and Napoleon coming I am pretty busy but...

Edwin
    Thanks for responding and for all that great work bringing these games to mac users.

I tried running the -show_err command from the "advanced" tab on the start-up menu, but no message displayed after the CTD. Just to double check I was in the right place, I used -nm, which did work.

Does -show_err not work on a mac? Is it possible to generate a log some other way?

Understand you are very busy. No hurries.

If I manage to save an EB game, I will post the solution here.

For NONE Mac App Store players I have updated EB to install and run without errors and hosted it on the Feral modding area. I have also written an update script that will convert any users with the older RomeData.dmg to start using the Data folder inside the Application instead which makes modding a lot easier.

I also fixed the Rome Total Realism Mac mod and added a new mod "Fourth Age". All three mods have issues with saving progress in MAS versions. The none playable factions mod is compatible with the MAS release unlike the other mods.

http://downloads.feralinteractive.com/mods/rome/

Edwin
    So I downloaded EB from the directory you have listed there and I tried to install using the installer and got this:

* Europa Barbarorum Mod *
    *********** 1.0.0 ***********

** Please upgrade to Rome v1.3 or later **
    ** This script only works with v1.3+ **
    logout

I have never even had any other versions of RTW on this mac besides 1.3 so why is it not recognizing it? It does the same thing when I run any of the mod installers including the RomeModSetup. And, no, I do not have the app store version, I have the direct downloaded version that I got off of feral's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbagio View Post
    So I downloaded EB from the directory you have listed there and I tried to install using the installer and got this:

* Europa Barbarorum Mod *
    *********** 1.0.0 ***********

** Please upgrade to Rome v1.3 or later **
    ** This script only works with v1.3+ **
    logout

I have never even had any other versions of RTW on this mac besides 1.3 so why is it not recognizing it? It does the same thing when I run any of the mod installers including the RomeModSetup. And, no, I do not have the app store version, I have the direct downloaded version that I got off of feral's website.
    Run the conversion script on the site then re-run the mod installer. It sounds very much like you have an older version of the data (RomeData.dmg) that has not been converted for modding yet.

You need to run the script in the new "RomeModSetup" installer to convert your game over to using the new Data packs. Please note all these scripts insist you have installed the game into the Applications folder and you have not used any sub folders or renamed anything.

In your case you should have a folder called Rome Total War and inside the folder the Rome applications and the RomeData.dmg data file. The important script to test is the RomeModSetup without running that your data will not be ready for modding.

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin@Feral; 06-17-2013 at 14:28.

ARGH frustrating. I had just finished explaining my progress getting EB to save games on the app store version when my post got lost. All I got back were a couple of lines.

Let me briefly recap:

Presently, the problem is that the App store version only lets you save in the designated "saves" folder in the RTW preferences folder. EB, however, has a different notion and has its own save folder. The app store version just won't let you save there.

Following Edwin, I am trying to make RTW run EB as if it were vanilla. This has meant merging the data folder in EB into the vanilla data folder. Then moving the custom/preferences/presets/saves folders from EB into the RTW preferences folders accessed from the startup menu.

This gets me as far as the faction selection screen, but as soon as I select and press the arrow, CTD. It is interesting that it crashes before you even hear the "steel upon steel" sound when you press the arrow... Could it mean that the problem is related to sound files?

Edwin suggested it might be missing files or incorrect paths, so I took some time to make sure things in the merged EB/data folder were where they should be, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to make -show_err run on a mac.

I am a bit stumped now, and my illiterate thinking is that:

a) EB is asking RTW to look for some files where they would be if we were running from the EB folder - are there "master files" that tell EB where to look for resources?
    b) RTW does not bother to look for certain files/folders unless it is running with -mod. When running with -mod, it evidently gives priority to the preferences/presets/saves/custom files in the mod folder rather than those in the preferences folder.

Two items continue to intrigue me: what does ebignoreList.txt in EB/Validation do? What about "sp game edu backup"? Why are those files there?

Anyone's wisdom and ideas would be very welcome. I know the Ferals are busy.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast