Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Org could better serve the needs of MP players,Clans and the MP community?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: How Org could better serve the needs of MP players,Clans and the MP community?

Quote Originally Posted by UglyElmo2 View Post
    I think the first step which needs to be taken is opening up this section of the forum to new patrons without them having to go through the introduction/waiting period. Otherwise, I think you will find people will not be willing to join here. This is probably the main reason some people feel the .org is a clique and not an open forum.
    Just a quick point. A while back (a couple of years ago?), the Junior Members were given access to most of the forum, and not kept confined to the Entrance Hall. If I'm not mistaken, they have access to all game-related sub-forums. They still can't edit posts, and might have some other restrictions, but they can take part in the game discussions as soon as they join up.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Default Re: How Org could better serve the needs of MP players,Clans and the MP community?

I dont think clanleaders should be a moderator per say.... from what i see now the org mods do fine as long they stick to moderating, watching and reminding people to stay within some area..... I dont think it will be a good idea to make a clanleader a moderator here..... perhaps it would be better if the mods are not that much invloved in everything but i can imagine that they have close lines to the clanleaders or such.... but it should not be excaggerated.... if a mods role gets too important he may be on the wrong course anyway....

A like the idea of a place to upload replays.... where people can discuss them and rate them like in warcraft3 http://tft.replayers.com
    I play warcraft myself and somethimes its nice to observe while im working or eating.... :o)

A different clan forum would be handy where rules are obeyed..... and a Warzone would be handy for all nasty stuff.... perhaps passworded to keep the accidential visitor out.... a simple pass but a pass...

What would be of very big help is that the org supports the members major voice when it comes to wishlists and patching.... this is what i missed many years ago... ofcourse much is debatable concerning this subject but its a challenge to try this time....
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Just a quick point. A while back (a couple of years ago?), the Junior Members were given access to most of the forum, and not kept confined to the Entrance Hall. If I'm not mistaken, they have access to all game-related sub-forums. They still can't edit posts, and might have some other restrictions, but they can take part in the game discussions as soon as they join up.
    You may be right Drone. I haven't been here for awhile and I am not sure what changes have been made since. :)

Thank you guys for a tons of great ideas coming out. I am also glad that again and again issues that are currently talked in the staff, pop up also in the talks here. That tells me that atleast we are picking up some signs correctly from the community. I also wellcome any ideas concerning moderation/ moderators. Like Greg mentioned currently we are a temporary solution at the moment.
    Concerning moderation in this forum right now. Telling is that i havent had to issue a single warning here after this subforum was opened. So basically you veterans are self moderating this forum, which is an ideal situation. All i see is fruitfull and constructive discussion about several issues and i see my role in all this as someone listening and trying my best to pass those idea´s forward, so we can create a best enviroment possible for the MP of the featured title.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-07-2010 at 13:18.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

well the current group vets here are a cosy bunch i think...... :o)

it would be nice if the org made a list of the raised ideas and invesitigates in whats possible or whats not..... the most simple feature for instance is the upload option for replays... like i posted as example...

Blog Entries

we are all old mens, Mag with his 45 years is quite old and has no energy left to fight on a board. haha.

I'm 48. Magy I tell you what . . . . . I will hold that youngster Kocmoc while you kick him in the shins! :) We'll show him to pick on us old men!

44 koc :o) while the rough edges get smoothened over the years maybe other things got stronger in return... and elmo i have the body of a 34 year old so to me, qua visual, koc is older... :o)
    Last edited by Magyar Khan; 09-07-2010 at 17:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Magyar Khan View Post
    44 koc :o) while the rough edges get smoothened over the years maybe other things got stronger in return... and elmo i have the body of a 34 year old so to me, qua visual, koc is older... :o)
    LOL I have the apetite of a teenager, the height of a garden gnome, the reflexes of a three-toed sloth, the body shape of a small Buddha statue, the bodyhair of a large Italian Mafia Enforcer, and the face of a punch-drunk retired amateur boxer. It's an interesting combination, but it works for me. hehe
    Last edited by UglyElmo2; 09-07-2010 at 20:38.

we are hijacking a thread but explain to me in what way it works for you.... women? scarrying kids?

You guys are in danger of getting a new thread in the frontroom or maybe it should be counted as backroom material.Hmmm...What the name should be..
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-07-2010 at 20:50.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

darkroom? with a 18+ rated pass? dunno what elmo is going to reveal next... ;)

I guess we can only wait and fear the worst. But anyway as many of you can see by looking at your user information, some strange rambling about tournaments won and tournaments joined has appeared, so there is work in progress for some new features based on ideas proposed in this thread.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magyar Khan View Post
    darkroom? with a 18+ rated pass? dunno what elmo is going to reveal next... ;)

Wolfroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    You guys are in danger of getting a new thread in the frontroom or maybe it should be counted as backroom material.Hmmm...What the name should be..
    Ooops! Sorry Kage! I will go back on-topic. Sometimes I get a little distracted. hehe The good thing about looking like me is I don't have to spend much time in front of the mirror or much money on grooming. If I did, I would just be wasting my time and money, since I would still be an Ugly man, just with a shave and a haircut. When you are Ugly, if you "let yourself go" nobody notices. :)

Another thing the .org could do to interest the future TW MP community would be to create it's own team of expert MP players. Maybe call it the Orgs, b0rgs (as a parody of an old insult. Turn a negative into a positive! Show that you guys can laugh at yourselves.), the OrgASMs, or whatever else the .Org can come up with.

What I envision is a 2v2, 3v3, and a 4v4 team, or possibly several depending on interest. It could consist of a team of newbies, a team of average players, a team of better than average players, and a team of expert players. Maybe an expert team of newer players and one of "Ancients", or a ModSquad team (Who wouldn't want to beat up on mods/admins!!!).

The "Borgs" teams could be promoted in all the other forums as accepting all challengers. Veteran players could challenge the elite "Borgs" team to see their skill level. New players could ask questions of the "Borgs" to learn more about why they lost. As long as those chosen as "Borgs" are willing to help players improve their skills, it could work. My Ugli community did that very thing for awhile and we were able to almost double our membership because of it. The players saw how we were not only fairly decent at the game, but a lot of fun to play with.

If the Borg teams get beat, the winners could be offered a unique icon for the forum, and/or their name on a .org page listing those winners.

The b0rg teams could be rotated around. Or you could make the winners of a b0rg match the new b0rg team to beat . . . Like an ongoing King Of The Hill tournament. Lots of way to handle such things.

The replays of the matches could be used as teaching-aids for newer players. Maybe some of the more expert players could offer up a critical evaluation of when and where the battles were won or lost.

Lots of things one can do to increase interest. The most successful have FUN as the main emphasis. You want this game to be challenging, but FUN for everyone. Sometimes you have to SHOW people how to have FUN, or that it is ok to have FUN. Especially when they see the Borg teams are both good players and are having FUN playing.

I think that about makes up for my off-topic-ness don't you think Kage? I know it was written in a sort of Stream-of-consciousness way, but hopefully it is enough to get others to add some input and ideas. :) hehe
    Last edited by UglyElmo2; 09-07-2010 at 21:24.

Not a bad idea, not a bad idea at all, Elmo.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

You, me and Gregoshi could be the b0rg team called "Team Rout". Professional victims to make the new players feel good about their abilities. :)

Good idea elmo. Let new players be able to get some training from org vets....

As someone without S:TW experience or any Shogun history knowledge, I'll keep my post simple as I can. Tera's posts, starting with #10 in this thread, hit the nail on its head. It all boils down to the distinction of the various roles, from players all the way up to mods and admins. Probably more important, even than that, would be the attraction. Why do some people buy a specific newspaper of their liking every day? They go there to read those headlines, to find those interesting stories. These daily (or other frequency) ticks are what would solidify the Guild (or the 'Org') as the place to go for the multiplayer community (at least for S2:TW, to be specific).
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiKingWarmanCake88 View Post
    Call me a fanatic, but I believe this for the past 6 years 3 months now. I always thought MP players should run their own stuff on forums as Moderators/Admins. Call me a 19 century militaristic Prussian, but as much as I enjoy and respect our SP crew, I just think MP players are better at handing their own problems since they can relate to it.
    AKWC88, you know what I'm thinking. Although, I'm more for an integration of SP and MP, a hybridisation, an interweaving, not a segregation (of course SP and MP need separate forum sections, I am referring to another sense of community). And another contrast, AKWC88, also falls back onto what Tera has mentioned. That is, roles need not be vague but specific in their descriptions. The player should be one thing, the mod another, yet the admin another. The mod/admin would almost necessarily be one who has plenty experience in the field, though, of battles, tournaments, and so on. Even some web management would be handy (case in point). In any case, good luck to the S2:TW community, including SP and MP.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    As someone without S:TW experience or any Shogun history knowledge, I'll keep my post simple as I can. Tera's posts, starting with #10 in this thread, hit the nail on its head. It all boils down to the distinction of the various roles, from players all the way up to mods and admins. Probably more important, even than that, would be the attraction. Why do some people buy a specific newspaper of their liking every day? They go there to read those headlines, to find those interesting stories. These daily (or other frequency) ticks are what would solidify the Guild (or the 'Org') as the place to go for the multiplayer community (at least for S2:TW, to be specific).

AKWC88, you know what I'm thinking. Although, I'm more for an integration of SP and MP, a hybridisation, an interweaving, not a segregation (of course SP and MP need separate forum sections, I am referring to another sense of community). And another contrast, AKWC88, also falls back onto what Tera has mentioned. That is, roles need not be vague but specific in their descriptions. The player should be one thing, the mod another, yet the admin another. The mod/admin would almost necessarily be one who has plenty experience in the field, though, of battles, tournaments, and so on. Even some web management would be handy (case in point). In any case, good luck to the S2:TW community, including SP and MP.

We need to make sure new people want to come here. I know that the CCS players hate .Org for several reasons, one being the s-called elitist attitude here. One vet needs to make sure he/she does not act arrogant with new players or that will drive them off.

The elitist attitude here is nothing compared to other gaming forums that I've been to. I haven't seen vets rip apart new players here like I have at other places... then again I don't read every post here, so I wouldn't know, but I haven't seen anything horrid yet. :)

Quote Originally Posted by AMP View Post
    The elitist attitude here is nothing compared to other gaming forums that I've been to. I haven't seen vets rip apart new players here like I have at other places... then again I don't read every post here, so I wouldn't know, but I haven't seen anything horrid yet. :)
    Have to agree with AMP i've never found this site Elitist at all, the only issue is that in general the older generation of TW players consider the newer TW games to be a pale shadow of the first 2 TW games in Multiplayer, now WOW hardcore raiding guilds omg there's elitism for you.
    One enemy is too many a hundred friends too few.

AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon, EuroSpoon, Linkspoon Li

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I think it's more that newer TW fans like the newer games, and here, many liked the older games and tend to criticize the newer ones. It's not so much players giving players a bad time, but old players giving the new games a bad time, and maybe putting down players who like the new games by association. If the newer players defend the new games and then get put down, I can see how they might leave in a huff for sites like the TWC (which caters to the newer games--look at its forum structure and tell me what's missing ...).

When I think "elitist," it has little to do with skill level and more to do with groupie attitudes and behaviors. It's a certain arrogant snobbiness associated with those who see themselves as members of an "in" crowd, excluding or at least dismissing others who aren't--basically like in high school. I know some highly skilled players who aren't elitist at all. Conversely, I've know many clannies--mediocre players at best--who could be very elitist. Elitist and elite are not the same.

How can the Org better serve in this context? Assure that discussions stick to criticisms of the games and moderate instances where it becomes criticism of the people who like those games. Downplay elitist behavior and things that encourage it when it comes to what gets posted on this board. Don't cater to the "in" crowd. Be as fair as possible to everyone. Generally speaking, the Org has been pretty good at this.

New players (that like the new games ...) come to sites that have what they want. What do we have that they want? How do market that? If we don't have it, how do we create it? And don't flaunt what they don't want ....
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AMP View Post
    Go on Battlefield 2 forums, Not bad, though I seen some gruesome elitism there.

Well, I think .Org has to find that bridge between the older and newer players so we can have a better MP community.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiKingWarmanCake88 View Post
    Go on Battlefield 2 forums, Not bad, though I seen some gruesome elitism there.

Well, I think .Org has to find that bridge between the older and newer players so we can have a better MP community.
    I have found that bridge in A Nerd. He is an oldie (that's not meant to be offensive) and we enjoy socialising here at the Guild. I'm finding it less uncomfortable to socialise with people twice my age or thereabouts, since we all have similar interests, us people who come onto these forums.
    Former Projects:

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

:) I'm flattered! But I can't do it myself! Not to sound all high and mighty or anything! :)
    Silence is beautiful

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Interesting. Actual age differences and the awkwardness it can sometimes bring is not something I'd thought about. It's true that many of us oldies are literally--oldies, lol.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Togakure View Post
    Interesting. Actual age differences and the awkwardness it can sometimes bring is not something I'd thought about. It's true that many of us oldies are literally--oldies, lol.
    It's awkward IRL, but on here it's in the back of our minds. Next thing you know, the guy you were conversating with about some TW game is actually twice your age, but a really cool guy/gal. It makes you reconsider a lot of things.
    Former Projects:

The "Borgs" teams could be promoted in all the other forums as accepting all challengers

PeRk................ and this from Elmo...go figure.....what this will do is give the ORG. a opp to get thier site out there (posting in other forums to premote) without stepping on any hoofs and createing traffic for the ORG ......knew Elmo was good for something but didnt think it'd take us this long to figure out what

Quote Originally Posted by CanCritter View Post
    The "Borgs" teams could be promoted in all the other forums as accepting all challengers

PeRk................ and this from Elmo...go figure.....what this will do is give the ORG. a opp to get thier site out there (posting in other forums to premote) without stepping on any hoofs and createing traffic for the ORG ......knew Elmo was good for something but didnt think it'd take us this long to figure out what
    It must have been that Sangria I drank. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast