Thread: EB tourny

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default EB tourny

Can someone tell me a good set of rules I should know about before I host one here?

Default Re: EB tourny

Quote Originally Posted by AntiKingWarmanCake88 View Post
    Can someone tell me a good set of rules I should know about before I host one here?
    The set of rules honestly depends on what type of a tournament you will be hosting, as well as various other factors such as who your audience will be. Will the tournament be between two specific faction groups, such as barbarians, Rome and Carthage? Will it be between successor states? Will it be something else? If doing a generic and open tournament (which I recommend against, for obvious purposes), you'd require a frustrating (at times) and compromising set of rules that (more or less, hopefully) satisfies the basic tastes of all faction players. I hope that helps.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Don't Run-Through.

Don't Attack in Guard Mode, with pikemen as the sole exception obviously.

Pikemen may only be turned using the "<," ">," or Pointer, and NEVER when engaged or when attacking a unit. If engaged or unable to turn in time (which fyi was the achilles heel of the phalanx) they must be turned in melee mode. Don't fool yourself, this is quite noticeable in-game.

No set battle formation may be a square (meaning there must be a true left and right to your army and no this does NOT mean it can just be divided "in half"). Educate yourself in terms of war if you want to know what is a "true left and right."

Don't use Guard Mode in Loose Formation (seriously, anyone who finds benefit in this has to know they are exploiting the settings of the game; if they do not, they are lying to you and themselves, or are simply ignorant of its effects).

At least 1 general unit must be present per army.

The army with most men must attack, unless attacked first (skirmishing doesn't count, only true attacks).

*This is off the top of my head and I will add more if I think they are useful.
    Last edited by SlickNicaG69; 09-04-2010 at 06:01.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Thumbs down Re: EB tourny

Quote Originally Posted by SlickNicaG69 View Post
    Don't Run-Through.

Don't Attack in Guard Mode, with pikemen as the sole exception obviously.

Pikemen may only be turned using the "<," ">," or Pointer, and NEVER when engaged or when attacking a unit. If engaged or unable to turn in time (which fyi was the achilles heel of the phalanx) they must be turned in melee mode. Don't fool yourself, this is quite noticeable in-game.

No set battle formation may be a square (meaning there must be a true left and right to your army and no this does NOT mean it can just be divided "in half"). Educate yourself in terms of war if you want to know what is a "true left and right."

Don't use Guard Mode in Loose Formation (seriously, anyone who finds benefit in this has to know they are exploiting the settings of the game; if they do not, they are lying to you and themselves, or are simply ignorant of its effects).

At least 1 general unit must be present per army.

The army with most men must attack, unless attacked first (skirmishing doesn't count, only true attacks).

*This is off the top of my head and I will add more if I think they are useful.
    False.
    Former Projects:

What is false Mr. Vartan, my assertions, or the fact your statement is totally irrelevant and mocking to the integrity of this post?
    Last edited by SlickNicaG69; 09-04-2010 at 07:59.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

What is false Mr. Vartan, my assertions, or the fact your statement is totally irrelevant and mocking to the integrity of this post?
    Now now, this is no comedy stage, don't make it one now.
    Former Projects:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep it nice, guys. If you can't be constructive, then don't post.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Yea Vartan, I, like Ludens, would like to see how you can be constructive to this post... maybe some new ideas to further improve your tournmament could be beneficial and inspiring to us all... how about setting the factional unit lists straight for each faction like you said you would by now...
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Yea Vartan, I, like Ludens, would like to see how you can be constructive to this post... maybe some new ideas to further improve your tournmament could be beneficial and inspiring to us all... how about setting the factional unit lists straight for each faction like you said you would by now...
    For the original author of this thread, you can see post #2 for what I consider the efficient, case-by-case approach to hosting tournaments. It just entails 1) considering what type of tournament you will host (mostly with regard to playerbase) and 2) executing accordingly.

For Slick, as the administrator of a multiplayer gaming network that has hosted battles for upwards of several dozen players, I cannot, should not, and will not change such things as what is considered 'factional' and what isn't, all to satisfy your desires and ideas of what entails 'factional'. You are but one person, as am I. Neither of us amount to anything in comparison with the People of the Online Kingdom (that's what I like to call the playerbase).
    Former Projects:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt this discussion is going to help.

Thread closed.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!